Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl

Hello from an Aussie noob.

Hello all. As someone very new to hammock hanging (i haven't got my setup yet), I thought I'd join up here to make the most of other people's experience and knowledge.

I'm a tent camper from way back, and I only found this hammock camping caper by chance when looking at various sites for reviews on lightweight tents.

I've decided to get into this hammock camping stuff the low-cost way by buying a cheap hammock from eBay and utilizing my Aussie Army hoochie tarp/tent as a fly as a start. I've ordered some no-see-um mesh to make a mozzie net setup as well. All up I think it will cost me about $60 for the setup so I can give it a try. If I don't like it, then at least I haven't wasted much money and can go back to ground dwelling, but if I do (as I am led to believe will be the case), then I'll upgrade my kit as I get to know what I want.

I'm about to embark on a series of trips to kayak down the Murray river here in Australia, a trip of about 2500km (about 1550 miles) over several stages that will take me about 2-3 years as I accumulate leave.

I'm looking forward to picking up some tips and hints from all you experienced hangers out there.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Welcome. Kayaks and hammocks go well together. Nothing like a comfortable sleep after a long paddle. Riverside naps aren't bad either.

Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Gday GA,

This is now my 3rd time writing a reply on here, the stinken internet has lost my last two replies. Well in short. Welcome to HF. Read a lot on here and find out what you can mod on your hammock to make it better. I too am a fellow Adelaidian. I am in Papua New Guinea right now, but will be back in June. I live in Mitcham. Where abouts do you live? We should catch up sometime and trade ideas as I don't know many people in Adelaide who enjoy camping/hammocks/bushcraft... I do make clones of many of the best hammocks. I have a clone of the Hennessey that I made, it is way more comfortable and lighter then my Hennessey Explorer Deluxe. I am going to make a Black Bird when I return, followed by a bridge. These are all very well known and proven hammocks. SO maybe if you are drawn to hammocks, I could sell you one for nearly half what you would get anywhere else as shipping kills anything. You know what I mean. Anyway, I am not here to sell things rather make a friend. Cheers mate.

Ghillieshot.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Hello from an Aussie noob.

Welcome from Florida! We have quite a few HF members down under!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghillieshot View Post
    Gday GA,

This is now my 3rd time writing a reply on here, the stinken internet has lost my last two replies. Well in short. Welcome to HF. Read a lot on here and find out what you can mod on your hammock to make it better. I too am a fellow Adelaidian. I am in Papua New Guinea right now, but will be back in June. I live in Mitcham. Where abouts do you live? We should catch up sometime and trade ideas as I don't know many people in Adelaide who enjoy camping/hammocks/bushcraft... I do make clones of many of the best hammocks. I have a clone of the Hennessey that I made, it is way more comfortable and lighter then my Hennessey Explorer Deluxe. I am going to make a Black Bird when I return, followed by a bridge. These are all very well known and proven hammocks. SO maybe if you are drawn to hammocks, I could sell you one for nearly half what you would get anywhere else as shipping kills anything. You know what I mean. Anyway, I am not here to sell things rather make a friend. Cheers mate.

Ghillieshot.
    Mitcham! I'm from Flagstaff Hill. I have close friends in Mitcham in St Michaels Street. I'd love to take a look at your rigs sometime. I'm just a rank noob. I've just bought a cheap hammock on eBay that I'm testing out tonight for the first time in my backyard. I just wanted to give it a go as I've never slept in a hammock in my life before, although I'm a very experienced tent camper and into bushcraft, fishing, kayaking and generally outdoorsy stuff. It's going to be about 7deg C tonight so it will be a good first try out, not too extreme .

I've had a try for a few minutes just to set it up and I'm impressed already. I'm sure I'll be a convert like so many here.

PM me with your details when you get back and we'll catch up. Maybe even organise a short trip or something.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by goanywhere View Post
    Mitcham! I'm from Flagstaff Hill. I have close friends in Mitcham in St Michaels Street. I'd love to take a look at your rigs sometime. I'm just a rank noob. I've just bought a cheap hammock on eBay that I'm testing out tonight for the first time in my backyard. I just wanted to give it a go as I've never slept in a hammock in my life before, although I'm a very experienced tent camper and into bushcraft, fishing, kayaking and generally outdoorsy stuff. It's going to be about 7deg C tonight so it will be a good first try out, not too extreme .

I've had a try for a few minutes just to set it up and I'm impressed already. I'm sure I'll be a convert like so many here.

PM me with your details when you get back and we'll catch up. Maybe even organise a short trip or something.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Flagstaff, not far at all. I have a friend who lives there. Forget what street, but its left at the first big roundabout. I used to live in St Marys right across the road from the reserve near the Ford showroom on Aliffs Rd(forget how to spell). I have been in PNG working with a mission organisation for the past 10 months, and am looking forward to getting back. Though just 2 weeks ago, I snapped all my ligaments in my ankle playing Basketball, the Doctor said it is one of the worst he has ever seen, he was surprised I didn't break any bones. Anyway I blabber on. When I return I am hoping to join the Army reserves and learn more about survival/bushcraft. We will have to catch up when I return. Thanks mate.

Ghillieshot.

PS: How was your first hang? 7C would have been pretty chilly under you. Did you use any insulation under you? A pad, underblanket, underquilt? If not, you would have been pretty chilly and probably would have needed to 'see a man about a dog' quit a few times. Let me know how it went. I will PM you soon.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghillieshot View Post
    Hi Steve,

Flagstaff, not far at all. I have a friend who lives there. Forget what street, but its left at the first big roundabout. I used to live in St Marys right across the road from the reserve near the Ford showroom on Aliffs Rd(forget how to spell). I have been in PNG working with a mission organisation for the past 10 months, and am looking forward to getting back. Though just 2 weeks ago, I snapped all my ligaments in my ankle playing Basketball, the Doctor said it is one of the worst he has ever seen, he was surprised I didn't break any bones. Anyway I blabber on. When I return I am hoping to join the Army reserves and learn more about survival/bushcraft. We will have to catch up when I return. Thanks mate.

Ghillieshot.

PS: How was your first hang? 7C would have been pretty chilly under you. Did you use any insulation under you? A pad, underblanket, underquilt? If not, you would have been pretty chilly and probably would have needed to 'see a man about a dog' quit a few times. Let me know how it went. I will PM you soon.
    My first hang was not too bad, once I worked out that I needed a SP under me. I don't have an under quilt yet, but I've ordered a USMC genuine poncho liner I can convert to a PLUQ. I have posted a report here.

Let me know when you get back and I'll definitely look you up. I hope you recover ok.

Cheers, Steve.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images

Re: Hello from an Aussie noob.

ditto.. what gunner said.
    Welcome to the madness & mayhem.
    Huge library of info .
    If you cant find what your looking for here, your just not looking hard enough.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

• + New Posts