Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps for now

3 day hike+hang COOL locations for summer?

First off, Thanks to everyone for all of the great info available here! I have been lurking for a long time and haven't needed to ask any questions because everything was covered.

I did see another post about a few places:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=71224
    The Foothills Trail at laurel falls
    Standing Indian loop
    Neel Gap near Blood Mtn
    or Amicalola SP near Springer Mtn.

I am doing my first backpacking hike with my little brother the second weekend in June. I am looking for a good 3 day hike high enough in altitude to get to some cooler temperatures at night. Preferably a loop and within 4-5 hrs drive from Macon GA. This will be our first backpacking trip so I do not know what a good distance should be. So all suggestions are welcome and I will look into em. So far the Standing Indian Loop looks like it fits the bill but if anyone has any other suggestions that should be nice and cool at night that far south please let me know.

Hammock
    WL Nite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    KAQ under, WL over
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am also looking at doing the Standing Indian Loop in late June and will be interested to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Subscribed for July and August trip planning. Altitude ~ -5-8* per 1000 ft?
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    What types of things are you looking for? Sweeping views/ stargazing, waterfalls, hanging out at the campsite? Each of these areas offers different features.

You can't beat the Foothills Trail to Laurel Falls-- one of my favorites. Though I've never done it in June, but others say it's fine.

Even in the hottest part of the summer, it's been cool up at Standing Indian. The purple Catawba rhododendrons might still be blooming in mid-June too. Kimsey Creek Trail is very scenic if you are doing the loop, and views from Albert Mtn and Standing Indian are outstanding. That climb up Albert Mtn going northbound is steep though.

The Appalachian Trail in GA is usually OK in June, but does tend to be warmer than up in NC. Though you never know with the weather-- my worst case of hypothermia was during a rainy spell in July near Springer Mtn, so be prepared for anything.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps for now
    We are looking for a good challenging hike with nice sweeping views of the surrounding hills that has some options for camping higher in altitude to keep temps down. However I certainly wouldn't avoid a trail because it has waterfalls or good stargazing opportunities
    I don't really want to spend too much time sitting around a campsite. So a good distance/difficult hike would be best. Is the Kimsey Creek Trail an offshoot of Standing Indian Loop? Is there a particular site that is better for getting trail info than another? Just interested in reducing my google search some if it can be done.

Thanks for the info and I'll keep looking into it.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazador42587 View Post
    We are looking for a good challenging hike with nice sweeping views of the surrounding hills that has some options for camping higher in altitude to keep temps down. However I certainly wouldn't avoid a trail because it has waterfalls or good stargazing opportunities
    The Standing Indian area has nice views, can be challenging, and there are plenty of side trails off the AT so lots of options. The Foothills has more waterfalls (and tends to have fewer people though you didn't mention that).

Is the Kimsey Creek Trail an offshoot of Standing Indian Loop?
    Yes the Kimsey Creek Trail is part of the Standing Indian Loop, though you can also use the Lower Trail Ridge Trail, along with the Long Branch Trail, if you are staring at the Campground/ Backcountry Information Sign Trailhead.

Is there a particular site that is better for getting trail info than another?
    I used the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's AT map (Bly Gap to Fontana Dam), which includes elevation profiles, roads, and watersources. The website that has good driving directions and parking info is Rohland's Appalachian Trail Parking, (see section 25 for TN/NC). I don't know of the best website for other trail info, because I referenced Tim Homan's Hiking Trails of the Southern Nantahala Wilderness.

Enjoy preparing for your trip, and be sure to let us all know how it goes.

• + New Posts