Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    BA Lost Ranger
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles

Hi there, new to hammocks.

Hey everyone, just wanted to say hello. I don't own a hammock yet but I'm very interested in getting one ASAP. I wanted to make my own but the local Joann's sells rip stop at $6.99/yard and I'd have to dig the sewing machine out of storage, which I'm not sure works. So in order to save some money and hassle I was thinking about starting with a Byer Traveller Lite Hammock or a Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock instead. Does anyone have any experience with either of these and can point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Welcome from NC here.

Hammock
    WL Nite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    KAQ under, WL over
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forum! I have no experience with either of the hammocks you mentioned, but I have tried a Snipe from Wilderness Logics. Extremely roomy, light weight, well built, and it comes with full suspension. http://www.wildernesslogics.com/Snipe-Snipe.htm Good Luck!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-Seeum
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    CCF, Alpine 45 bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Greetings...

Hello from Fl. This place will simply amaze you with info and point you in the right direction. Don't have any info on the hammocks in question but hold tight, the flood gates of knowledge will open shortly....

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Florida! I was just visiting your Windy City a couple of weeks ago and liked it very much.

I'm not familiar with the Byer, but the Grand Trunk is a very small hammock. Although a few folks like a small hammock, typically the larger the hammock is, the more comfortable it is. However, if you are a small person, it may work for you.

NCfree's recommendation above is a very good one.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    BA Lost Ranger
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Man you guys respond quickly! Thanks for the recommendation but I was drawn to the two I mentioned because of their $20 price tags. Also, I'm 6' and about 190lbs.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-Seeum
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    CCF, Alpine 45 bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Can't go wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannoli View Post
    Man you guys respond quickly! Thanks for the recommendation but I was drawn to the two I mentioned because of their $20 price tags. Also, I'm 6' and about 190lbs.

After many, many, many uncomfortable nights in a tent and then going to a hammock, I gotta' chime back in and say you can't go wrong with being off the ground. I sunk two 10' 4x4's in the backyard just so I can "hamp" in the backyard whenever I want but mainly for some R+R when the back feels a little tight. It also will be of GREAT benefit if you check out Shug's video's....(they should really be like a background check of sorts, can't hang until you sign off on them)

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Welcome Gannoli

You certainly have come to the right place, the depth of experience at HF is deep and the people awesome. Has cut this new hangers learning curve sharply.

I have not experience a bad nights sleep due to what I have learned here!

Good reading!
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Hammock
    DB72, DIY tablecloth, Kammok
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    If you like the idea of DIY at all, I reccommend getting a kit from BIAS. It is a no-sew kit, so you won't have to dig out your sewing machine (aka thread injector, aka cloth welder, depending on who you ask )

The kit is $40, and it has everything you need to start hanging - the body fabric, cord to whip the ends and make a ridgeline, and Amsteel + tree straps + toggles to make the suspension. They even throw in some yarn needles to use for splicing your cord.

I learned about the kit on this thread, where BIAS recommended using Caveman's whipping method. I reccommend the video tutorial in this thread by TheBrewGuy to make whoopie slings - it is very clear and easy to follow. TheBrewGuy's Youtube channel has a few other good splicing tutorials as well, including how to make a ridgeline.

I just got a kit a few weeks ago and slept in the hammock every night for two weeks after putting it together. It's a great hammock for the price, and making it myself was fun and educational.

If you buy an already-made hammock, make sure you get suspension with it - nothing is more disappointing than getting your hammock and realizing you have no way to hang it...

Re: Hi there, new to hammocks.

I can't say anything about these hammocks you mentioned. And honestly that concerns me. I don't wanna sound arrogant but I've looked at pretty much everything worth getting. My advice, look at the value you get with the package you get into instead of the price. For instance the Clark hammocks are considered expensive. But if you compare it to what you get by others separately it actually a great value. This is your night sleep your talking about so get quality stuff. I concure that Wilderness Logic is a good way to go but consider the tarps under quilt you need. You may get a better value with all in ones like Clark or Hennessey. I also don't recommend making your first hammock. Get something from someone who's done the leg work and figured out a lot for you and find the little things you'd like to improve.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast