WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Down question

First, if I'm asking this in the wrorg forum , I apologize, mods please move if so. I'm going to try making my own top & undr quilts. Where do the DIYer's suggest I purches down from?

Thanks, Tony
    Aka Lifeguard326
    Acta non Verba

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Wilderness Logics. I just ordered my down from them. Shipping was very fast and it comes packaged in either 1 oz. or 1/2 oz packages, your choice.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Down question

Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    Wilderness Logics. I just ordered my down from them. Shipping was very fast and it comes packaged in either 1 oz. or 1/2 oz packages, your choice.
    The conveniency of the packaging can't be beat.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop Nylon Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat-Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    LineLocker/Whoopie
    Thru-Hiker is a little more expensive, oz for oz it's only $5.00 more.
    http://thru-hiker.com/materials/insulation.php
    See You In The Trees
    & Keep It Hanging

http://www.youtube.com/user/Laochri?feature=watch

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    There has been a lot of success using "my luxe" brand pillows from Bloomingdales (available on ebay)
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    I just finished making a top quilt and bottom quilt from 2 Thru-Hiker kits. The down is top quality. They say it's 900 fill down and I calculated the amount of fill based on 900 cubic inches of fill per ounce plus a 10% overfill and it worked out great.

If you buy the "kit" from them then you have the option of buying an extra 3 ounces of down for about $25. I bought the extra down for both kits and ended up not using about 3 ounces. But now I have some extra for another project.

BTW, I put the word "kit" is scare quotes because it's not really a kit but a set of materials. Even their online instructions are pretty sketchy. I ended up designing my own quilt while borrowing heavily from my wife's extensive knowledge of sewing. However, I ended up with what is probably a 15 to 20 degree top quilt with 2.75 inches of loft and is long enough to pull over my my head (and I'm 6'1") while still only weighing 1 pound 10 ounces.

The bottom quilt is a full length quilt with 2.5" of loft and with the lightweight 900 fill down it's only 1 pound 5 ounces including the suspension and stuff sack.

Because of the light weight of the M50 material included in their kit I would highly suggest simply buying the kit from thru-hiker so you can get everything at once. The M50 material only weighs .5 ounces per square yard which is almost cuben fiber light. Cuben fiber runs about .35 ounces per square yard and M50 is .5 ounces but is breathable and down proof. So it's darn light.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop Nylon Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat-Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    LineLocker/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    I just finished making a top quilt and bottom quilt from 2 Thru-Hiker kits. The down is top quality. They say it's 900 fill down and I calculated the amount of fill based on 900 cubic inches of fill per ounce plus a 10% overfill and it worked out great.

If you buy the "kit" from them then you have the option of buying an extra 3 ounces of down for about $25. I bought the extra down for both kits and ended up not using about 3 ounces. But now I have some extra for another project.

BTW, I put the word "kit" is scare quotes because it's not really a kit but a set of materials. Even their online instructions are pretty sketchy. I ended up designing my own quilt while borrowing heavily from my wife's extensive knowledge of sewing. However, I ended up with what is probably a 15 to 20 degree top quilt with 2.75 inches of loft and is long enough to pull over my my head (and I'm 6'1") while still only weighing 1 pound 10 ounces.

The bottom quilt is a full length quilt with 2.5" of loft and with the lightweight 900 fill down it's only 1 pound 5 ounces including the suspension and stuff sack.

Because of the light weight of the M50 material included in their kit I would highly suggest simply buying the kit from thru-hiker so you can get everything at once. The M50 material only weighs .5 ounces per square yard which is almost cuben fiber light. Cuben fiber runs about .35 ounces per square yard and M50 is .5 ounces but is breathable and down proof. So it's darn light.
    I didn't explore their site, i just saw the down and stopped there.
    Thanks for mentioning it.
    See You In The Trees
    & Keep It Hanging

http://www.youtube.com/user/Laochri?feature=watch

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie