Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images

First Hammock Camping Experience!

Well I just got back from 3 days and two nights backpacking and camping on the Chattooga River in SC near Ellicott Rock. Going in I had only been able to test hang one night in the back yard and the temps on my test were only around 40*, so since I was camping with others my fall back if I got cold was to go to ground and share someone's tent. Good news, even though temps Friday night hit the low 20's and Sat night mid 20's and a snow flurry around 3:30 am I was warm and dry. My set-up was as follows: Warbonnet BB, Speers WT (one end closed completely, the other partial for access), 1 GG evazote CCF 1/4" pad 40"w x 61" long, 2 - 10" wide strips of the same CCF to make the "shoulder area insulation a total 1/2" thick, 20" wide regular length Thermarest Prolite 4 on top of the CCF (between the 10" strips). I slept in my thermals and a wool stocking cap and used my 15* down bag as a quilt. As added insurance I used a hot water bottle in a neoprene cozy.

When I first went to bed on Friday night I started to get cold on my back (infamous CBS) )but I got out after an hour and stuffed in two small 20" x 12" CCF pads (seat cushions) under my back and I was golden! Saturday morning all my ground dweller friends were talking about how cold theye had been that night and I think with my set-up I stayed the warmest even though I was hanging in the air. Saturday night several of the other guys were copying the hot water bottle technique.

Daytime weather was great and I did some day hiking up to see Ellicott Rock. If you live in this area and have never camped or BP'd there the Chattooga River is beautiful. Its a national wild and senic designated river so there is no development and there are a number of trail routes that allow for either a short overnight in the woods or a longer through hike (part of the foothills trail runs through this area).

Thanks to all you folks that helped me with advise either directly or while I was lurking around and reading older posts. It amazes me the different tone to the community here on this forum compared to the adversarial tone I've seen on some other backpacking boards (you know who I mean). Now I definately know that hammocking is for me and feel I have the basic skills to get out there more often. As good as this weekend went I look forward to streamlining my set-up so that I'm not so bulky, as I move towards spring that should be easy enough.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Kool-Aid tastes good, doesn't it?

Congrats on a successful hang. It's always nice when the first one actually goes according to plan.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey .... your work and study and questions paid off. Good to hear about a terrific first hang!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    While not in any vindictive way, it is always sweet to be warm dry and comfortable when ground dwellers have a different experience. Makes them take notice.

I am glad you were warm and cozy. Welcome to the light!! (and the kool-aid)
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Kool aid, um good...

Were you able to make any converts from ground dwelling to hammock hangin?

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Were you able to make any converts from ground dwelling to hammock hangin?
    Actually one other guy came in and joined the group for just Sat night but he brought his hammock and his tent and then never even tried to sleep in it due to the cold. In his defense, he was also a hammock newbie but had not been to the Forum and had nothing but a canvas bridge type hamock and a single thermarest type pad.

I think some of the other guys liked my setup but are leaning towards staying grounded so they can stay in the tent w/ their kids. We'll see though I'm sure I'll win over a couple at some point. Otherwise I'll just gloat about my superior comfort and continue to hear about their "sore shoulders & back"...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I got my kids interested in hammocks so I wouldn't have to stay in the tent with them!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post

Daytime weather was great and I did some day hiking up to see Ellicott Rock. If you live in this area and have never camped or BP'd there the Chattooga River is beautiful. Its a national wild and senic designated river so there is no development and there are a number of trail routes that allow for either a short overnight in the woods or a longer through hike (part of the foothills trail runs through this area). ...............
    Glad you had such a great success! I rafted the Chattooga once about 20 years ago. Got dumped out of the raft and sucked under water for a minute or so. When I came up I thought I saw a Hillbilly kid with a banjo holding it out to me, turned out to be one of my partners in the boat holding a paddle out for me to grab. ( just being silly about the kid with the banjo. But I did keep hearing banjo music! )

But it is beautiful country, I hope I get back there some day.

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    Awesome Dave great first trip! Depending on how they sleep you can get a kid in a hammock with you. I did a trip with my 8 yr old that went well. Hard to convince a ground dweller that though. It is hard to let of that life. Keep up the good hanging!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast