Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    GrizzBridge Clone
    Suspension
    Straps / cinches

Help me pull the trigger

Hey everyone!

So I've been doing a ton of reading and thinking, prepping to get my first UQ/TQ. But I'm beginning to feel a little overwhelmed as there are SO MANY options out there.

So here's what I'm thinking so far...
    Let me know if I'm on the right track here.

I won't be doing any winter camping for the most part right now. So this will be my gear used mainly April thru October...

As such I figured I'll get a "summer" UQ/TQ and then supplement them with more clothing, liner, pad, etc if it gets really cold.

I was thinking about a 40* system, but I'm a cold sleeper so maybe I should get a 30* system instead?
    (Would love to hear from some of you cold sleepers about your insulation systems)

If the weather gets really warm I can just vent the UQ, ditch the TQ, etc right?

In the future I can always get a dedicated dead-of-winter insulation system.

I've got a pretty good chunk of cash I can use on this, but I don't just want to spend it wherever.
    Who out there is making the best quality stuff?
    Also, in your opinion, what manufacturers are most accurate with their temp ratings?

So help me pull the trigger here... am I thinking along the right tracks so far? Is there anything I'm missing?
    Help me out here. Where/how should I best allocate my funds?
    (Keep in mind I'm a cold sleeper and I don't plan on doing any winter camping for the time being)

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Perhaps the key is how much summer camping you'll be doing and at what elevation. If that's your primary time to go, then I think a summer pkg makes sense. With our cottage vendors, you can count on their 40 degree quilts getting you past the mid 30s if needed.

That said, its pretty easy to vent quilts if you're too warm. The UQ is where you'll want more, so you might consider a 20 or 30 degree there and something lighter on top. IMO, you can't substitute with clothing in terms of bottom insulation, but you can go with a lighter TQ with more clothes on.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Clone
    Suspension
    Straps / cinches
    So maybe a 20-30* UQ and a 40* TQ?

Weather will be anywhere from 40* night up to 100* days.
    Elevation between 500 and 9000 feet.
    There will also be lots of coastal area camping (east and west coast).

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchCinch
    I'm very pleased with Hammock Gear's quality and attention to detail. I don't have a 3/4 length though, which I imagine is what you'll be wanting if you're weight conscience and don't need the extra warmth.
    Monday

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you."

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Clone
    Suspension
    Straps / cinches
    Monday,

Thanks for the info.
    In your opinion, how much more warmth will one get with a full size vs. 3/4 size quilt?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes View Post
    Monday,

Thanks for the info.
    In your opinion, how much more warmth will one get with a full size vs. 3/4 size quilt?
    I don't think there is any additional warmth with a full length. If you use a 3/4, you just need to insulate your feet separately. Most people use a piece of ccf foam. If you have the right foot insulation, you don't lose any warmth over a full length.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I'm a cold, cold sleeper. Just sold my 20* TQ and ordered a 0* with more width (55' instead of 50"). UQ is a 20* with 2 oz over stuff that I bought after selling my 40*. Nights here are a lot colder than most places, and up high, they're borderline freezing. I have found it true that you can supplement the top quilt with extra clothing/coverings, but the UQ rules in the heat factor. CBS is an evil troll and tends to strike around 3 AM.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Which hammock do you have? Anything special about it like a HH w/classic entry?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes View Post
    So maybe a 20-30* UQ and a 40* TQ?

Weather will be anywhere from 40* night up to 100* days.
    Elevation between 500 and 9000 feet.
    There will also be lots of coastal area camping (east and west coast).
    That would be my advice! As was said, you can always hang the UQ a little loose to vent it.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I tend to agree with dakotaross, above. Did a full length mod of a 20* Marmot and have been very happy with it in my short tenure as a hanger.

My hammock is a GT UL so can get cool quickly, which I like very much. It's easier to vent a warmer UQ and impossible to add more warmth if the insulation just isn't there.

Heat rises so any TQ can be made cooler by opening up. But again, if the warmth is not there in the first place ...

It's like my mother said, this being the day after Mother's Day, "Always wear a tie if in doubt -- you can always take it off!"

If money is no object then get the lightest and warmest.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast