Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hennessy competitors?

Good day folks!

I have just cottoned on to this hammock-camping idea, even though I've enjoyed rocking to sleep up on a boat deck for many years, and it rings true to me. I come from a long line of travelers, and like those before me, plan to set off on an extended journey to find my place in this world.

Since I generally design and sew my own equipment, I know what my stuff is good for. But since time is of the essence these days - it seems reasonable to get a hammock sent over the pond, save some sweat. Although I run the risk of picking bad quality stuff as I can't inspect before purchase...

Now what I would like to hear from you good people..
    I am sure there are some individuals who researched this topic, and some who have firsthand experience with the quality of the various products out there. I am rather attracted to the EXPEDITION ASYM from Hennessy, but could just as well go for any other brand that's as good. I will be travelling by motorcycle, so weight isn't a prime factor. Insulating against the elements is more important as early spring in northern Europe isn't always peachy.

Anyhow, I'll toss this out here, and wait appreciatively for any helpful leads...

Cheers
    R

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Easy; Warbonnet BlackBird.
    Best hammock out there right now, IMHO.

Welcome to the forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Why is time of the essence and how much time do you have before you leave? Shipping and availability might be an issue. Warbonnet Blackbird is a very popular hammock around here recently, but availibilty might be an issue as they are made by one guy who does a super job from all reports. The Hennesseys are nice hammocks IMO, I have an Explorer which suits my needs just fine. However... a lot of people get tired of climbing in the bottom slit.

All the major hammocks here have their advocates and their detractors. It can be a very personal thing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I've not seen the warbonnett mentioned above. I have however used 3; the Lawson abomination, the Hennessey ASym Expedition, and a Clark North American. I couldn't recommend anyone go for the Lawson, I'm no fan (although many are).

The Hennessey is very nice, if the weather is warm, it is very comfortable. I love the entry method through the base, it's great especially if the area is buggy. No big zipper to allow bugs to follow you inside. The Hennessey offers good weather protection from rain and such, but if it is chilly out, can be a bit too open for my taste. The netting over the hammock is the only roof (under the rainfly), so breezes come through easily. If it's warm, this is a good thing. If it;s cool, you'll feel it. There is also limited privacy in the hennessey as there is no cover over the netting. You can drop teh rainfly, but I like to string it high. Wave to any visitors.

My pick would be the Clark North American. It offers similar weather proofness to teh Hennessey, and is also comfortable. The entry is more traditional (zipper), and there is pockets on the bottom which help insulate you (when stuffed) or just hold gear. The big difference (to me) is that while it has netting and a rainfly like the Hennessey, the netting has a tent like cover you can zip up if you want. If it's warm out, leave it open like teh Hennessey, if it gets chilly, zip it over to trap heat in and keep any breezes out. This also provides you some privacy from the outside world when you want it, like changing your clothes. From teh ones I've tried, the Clark is my pick. It does come at a cost though, and it is a bit more than the Hennessey. Both are high quality and durable.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    hobo,

Welcome to the addiction and to HF.net!
    From Norway?!? Wow!

Images
    I have a HH Ultralite Asym. I dig it and will stick with it for awhile. From what I gather, all the different hammocks have done their thing with their own design, improved design or simply added features that HH owners wish they had.

It would be tough to gauge what you'd like without using one or some. But this is definitely the right place to get feedback on the likes and dislikes of all the hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    hobo,

Welcome to the addiction and to HF.net!
    From Norway?!? Wow!
    Yeah, word spreads eh?

I was born and bred South African, if that gives any bearing for how much ground the family has covered over the years...

I shall be leaving in little over a month, as soon as I finish building my bike.
    The warbonnet looks alright, though I fear having to open the zipper wide up top when entering might serve to invite the bloodsuckers in faster than desired. Are the fastenings/suspenders any better than the hennessy's? I do like the pockets on either side i must say. Both seem a little breezy due to lacking an inner tarp, may have to sew something in there. I'll send the man a mail, see what kind of price he quotes and ponder on from there.

Thanks for the quick responses, fine forum this is...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Well...I can't say much. I'm developing quite the collection of different hammocks! I will say that I absolutely LOVE my Warbonnet Blackbird.

Discovered the search function just now , the warbonnet seems to have a lot of followers...

Does Brandon have an account on these forums?

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    I'll be getting a warbonnet blackbird. almost there, 1 more side job baby!!!!!!!!!!! ooohhh yeah

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast