dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Uq matching sleeping bag? Temp rating?

Hey guys I'm new to this stuff and have been using my sleeping pad in my DIY hammock works alright but I get tiered of it slipping around in the hammock so I want to try a underquild. My questin is about the underquilts raising. Sy I got a 20degree underquilt but I have a 0degree sleeping bag. Would the temp raising still be at 20 degrees? Or do both the sleeping bag and the underquilt need to be say 0 degree to keep me warm at that temp?

Your UQ is usually the temp limit for both quilts. If you have a 20* UQ, I'd say the lowest you'd want to take your rig is 20* without adding a pad or something.

I use a -11 rated pad with a 30* sleeping bag, have used this combo perfectly comfortable at 20*, could go much lower. With my 30* bag. Underinsulation is always the most important.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Depends on what kind of bag you have as what that zero rating means. As a general rule, though, you're only as good as your bottom insulation. A 20 degree UQ from one of our fine vendors will take you below 20, but even overstuffed, I would not rely on it in zero degree weather. However, I can't imagine you have a real need for zero degree insulation in Missouri and if you feel your bag is not too warm, there's a good chance it will match up equivalently with a 20 degree UQ.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Alright yah I havw a Kodak sleeping bag I thi k it's like 800 fill down 0 degree. But I think it's over kill for being in Missouri most of the time so I am wanting to make more room in my pack buy getting some thing like a 20degree bag/uq so would be lighter and smaller. Just wasn't really sure of the sleeping bag was more important then the uq or vise versa. So I should be fine with a 20degree uq and a 20degree sleeping bag togeather I should be fine around 20degrees?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I'm a cold sleeper. I had set up with a 20* TQ and 20* UQ with 2 oz over stuff. The UQ is an older version, so I tweaked the suspension a bit and got it set up well. Was still getting cold on top, so I just sold the 20*TQ and bought a 0*. So much for the theory of a warmer UQ, but I may end of with both of them at 0* by later this year.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Images

temp ratings of bag vs quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    I'm a cold sleeper. I had set up with a 20* TQ and 20* UQ with 2 oz over stuff. The UQ is an older version, so I tweaked the suspension a bit and got it set up well. Was still getting cold on top, so I just sold the 20*TQ and bought a 0*. So much for the theory of a warmer UQ, but I may end of with both of them at 0* by later this year.
    Viper/SnrMoment: Well one thing about either a given rating UQ or TQ when compared to a pad and being INSIDE a zipped up bag with hood/collar is: several different variables (mostly related to fit and drafts) which all must be dealt with about perfectly.

But assuming a person has his UQ learning curve all figured out so that it fits snug enough with no gaps or drafts, from then on there might be more problems with the TQ. I also think the UQ is a bit more important for warmth, but there are even more potential problems on top.

The first thing that might be a problem when comparing a 20F rated 2.5" single layer (top) thick quilt to the same thickness/rating of bag is that most bags include a 2.5" thick hood. That is a huge amount of insulation to give up in an area (head) that is known to need a lot of insulation. Though I do have separate JRB and Marmot hoods for pushing a quilts limits, most of the time, I try to handle that with just layers of hats or jacket hoods. But this does not compare to a high quality mummy bag hood cinched down to a breathing hole ( but being inside my PeaPod and a narrow hammock compares quite well to a hooded bag).

Next on the list is the all important draft control, something not usually a problem when inside a bag. If you don't have a quilt with a draw cord that can be closed around your neck, then potential drafts while you move in your sleep can really let a lot of heat out compared to a bag with hood and thick neck collar. Add to that a potential draft anywhere along the length of the TQ especially if you move in you sleep. Just a quarter size opening that you might not even be aware has happened can change your 20* quilt to a 40* quilt or higher. Though an extra warm UQ can help make up for that IMO. But this is a potential issue you won't much have inside a bag.

Finally, how big a boy are you? The skinnier you are, the easier it is to get a good tuck all around you to keep things where you want them. As we start getting bigger around (as I keep doing) it is just that much easier for a quilt edge to lift up some where and allow a little blast of cold air in. And if it is a 20F night with a 20F rated TQ with just a hat for your head, even a quarter ( or dime) sized leak and you will be cold. You might be OK at 40 but no way at 20.

Just things to consider. This is not to say I can not be warm near my TQs rating, because with adequate head insulation I def can. Plus, hammocks make it easier to deal with a quilt that might not be wide enough on the ground. Particularly some hammocks like some(maybe all) JRB bridge models, but all hammocks more or less. So it can be done, just maybe a learning curve and a few things to keep in mind.
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-15-2013 at 20:27.

The first thing that might be a problem when comparing a 20F rated 2.5" single layer (top) thick quilt to the same thickness/rating of bag is that most bags include a 2.5" thick hood. That is a huge amount of insulation to give up in an area (head) that is known to need a lot of insulation. Though I do have separate JRB and Marmot hoods for pushing a quilts limits, most of the time, I try to handle that with just layers of hats or jacket hoods. But this does not compare to a high quality mummy bag hood cinched down to a breathing hole ( but being inside my PeaPod and a narrow hammock compares quite well to a hooded bag).

that's a great point BB and often overlooked. I forgot to put on a cover on a recent cold weather trip since I was pretty warm by the time we got back to the hammocks and finished messin' with stuff. As I laid down, after a lil while, I noticed I was unusually cold (granted I was having pad issues too) and realized I didn't have a cover on. I could tell immediately my overall body warmth coming up after putting it on.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    I am 20 I weigh 160lbs but gaining weight dew to working out. I have thought about TQ but I like my sleeping bag pretty well so I think ill stick with it since I haven't had any issues with my bag only the pad moving around. So it seems like just to be safe it wouldn't hurt to get a 0 degree UQ. And just keep my 0 degree bag. Thank you guys for all the input!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I am 20 I weigh 160lbs but gaining weight dew to working out. I have thought about TQ but I like my sleeping bag pretty well so I think ill stick with it since I haven't had any issues with my bag only the pad moving around. So it seems like just to be safe it wouldn't hurt to get a 0 degree UQ. And just keep my 0 degree bag. Thank you guys for all the input!!
    That should work fine, but I just realized I misunderstood what you were asking in your OP. Now I'm thinking you were not asking how a TQ rated at 20F might compare to a sleeping bag rated at 20. Rather, you were asking if using a 0F bag/tq would allow you to be warm with a 20F UQ at temps lower than 20F?

So, I would say that if you have, say, a TQ or bag that you know keeps you warm to 20F, and you use it with an UQ that you know keeps you warm at 0F, there is a good chance that your TQ/bag might now work OK for you at temps somewhat below 20F. Several people have reported such.

OTOH, if you have an UQ that you know will keep you warm no lower than 20F, and use it with a TQ/bag that normally keeps you warm at zero F, and it is a 10F night, you are going to be cold. The extra warmth on top will do little to help your cold back/butt. People have reported sweating on top while being too cold on the bottom to sleep.

There is one exception to the above: If you are inside a 0F synthetic bag, you might be able to push a 20F UQ to temps somewhat lower than rated. This is because the various synthetics compress much less than down, and I have always found an immediately noticeable increase in back warmth when I have crawled inside a synthetic bag compared to using a bag as a quilt or using an actual TQ. This is in addition to any draft proofing gained by being inside a bag. The question is how much back warmth do you gain? 3*, 5, 10? I have no idea, and it will vary with how thick the bag is to start with, but I have always found it to be noticeable.

But with a 0F bag used as quilt or bag, and and a zero UQ, you should be plenty warm at least down to those temps if everything is working up to it's potential. Assuming you are not an extra cold sleeper. All of this stuff varies greatly with the individual and even what condition you are in. IOW, it is possible to be toasty one day at temps well below your gears rating and on a bad day be cold 10F above the rating. Like if you go to sleep already cold or hungry or debilitated.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Alright I understand that's perfect!! Thank you so much!

• + New Posts