DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Dude that is a swwweeet looking tarp. I really like the extra side tie outs, it makes it a truly 4 season tarp.

Most tarps only have a couple of side tie outs or loads on all edges, you seem to have a great balance for maximum versatility, I may use this for my next tarp, although it will be a sil version.
    Thanks, craige! Sure, but if you can make it at least 10x10 you'll have more coverage and better doors for the bad weather.

This entire system with tree huggers, 50' of CRL, and two Y stakes weighs only 14.5 ounces.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Awesome looking tarp, well done man. Keep us updated on how well it works.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Awesome looking tarp, well done man. Keep us updated on how well it works.
    Thanks, Yoda!

Yes, soon as I get a bug net fixed I'll take it out to what passes for woods around here, that is, any two trees that I can find outside my back yard!

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Thanks, Yoda!

Yes, soon as I get a bug net fixed I'll take it out to what passes for woods around here, that is, any two trees that I can find outside my back yard!

Lookin forward to hearin how it works out.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Completed the tarp today with one additional piece of Dutchware, a Ridgeline Carabineer to complement the Stingerz on the other end. That makes changing the configuration quick and easy. The tarp system works perfectly, so easy to pitch, adjust, and strike.

I've slept outside in my hammock the last three nights because it has been so unusually cool for July in Texas.

Mike

Mike, I have followed this thread and have been impressed with your calm, cool, precise workmanship. Honest, that is what I saw. No doubt there were moments of frustration. I was thinking of trying to do one of these, priced out the supplies, and went back to check the price of one ready made. No contest, I am not doing this, I will buy. I do admire your doing it, a great example for us all. Oh yes, that thing looks great, and yes, I wouldn't think twice about giving it a home.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Mike, I have followed this thread and have been impressed with your calm, cool, precise workmanship. Honest, that is what I saw. No doubt there were moments of frustration. I was thinking of trying to do one of these, priced out the supplies, and went back to check the price of one ready made. No contest, I am not doing this, I will buy. I do admire your doing it, a great example for us all. Oh yes, that thing looks great, and yes, I wouldn't think twice about giving it a home.
    Thank you, hats!

Yes, buying one outright is what I'd recommend. It's difficult material and the savings of DIY are not that great.

I'm probably too particular and independent at times. A lot of that is having time and not much money at this temporary juncture of time and life. I have the opportunity to experiment and DIY. It's been mostly a blast. Plus, right now, if I make mistakes it doesn't hurt anyone but me.

Turning next to hammock suspension. Need to try UCRs again.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    You should be able to use them at the tie-out points. However, from the way that they look like they work, they'll be further out the more tension you achieve with them--so you may have to stick more of your body out from under the tarp to adjust than just your hands.
    Simple - you need to use them the wrong way, i.e. Shane's non-standard (but brilliant) deployment. All my tie-outs are done that way now.

Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I concur. (That mean's "+1".) Good assessment, Old4Hats.

Other thoughts:

Keep the ridgeline under the tarp, but don't have any knots or bumps touching the tarp surface.

I hope you used 3M Primer 94 on both surfaces with the 9460 adhesive transfer tape. That gives the strongest possible bond, IMO. On the other hand, the strongest possible bond is far stronger than you need, so don't sweat it if you didn't. There are a lot of bonding methods that can be used with CTF3, and I haven't heard of any bond failures yet.

Good work. I like your inclination to test materials and methods ahead of time. Keep it up!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Simple - you need to use them the wrong way, i.e. Shane's non-standard (but brilliant) deployment. All my tie-outs are done that way now.

I concur. (That mean's "+1".) Good assessment, Old4Hats.

Other thoughts:

Keep the ridgeline under the tarp, but don't have any knots or bumps touching the tarp surface.

I hope you used 3M Primer 94 on both surfaces with the 9460 adhesive transfer tape. That gives the strongest possible bond, IMO. On the other hand, the strongest possible bond is far stronger than you need, so don't sweat it if you didn't. There are a lot of bonding methods that can be used with CTF3, and I haven't heard of any bond failures yet.

Good work. I like your inclination to test materials and methods ahead of time. Keep it up!
    Thanks, WV!

I have the line under the tarp and no knots or bumps touching it. Got a good bond by scuffing the laminate faces with 1000 grit sandpaper before taping it. It shows no sign at all of slipping, though I've had it pitched quite a bit and the wind blows nearly every day here in West Texas.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Thanks, WV!

I have the line under the tarp and no knots or bumps touching it. Got a good bond by scuffing the laminate faces with 1000 grit sandpaper before taping it. It shows no sign at all of slipping, though I've had it pitched quite a bit and the wind blows nearly every day here in West Texas.

Wow! That polyester laminate is incredibly thin. I wouldn't have thought of doing that. 1000 grit sounds good - I believe in big numbers when it comes to abrasives.

My first tarp was made with CT.6K.08, but subsequent cuben orders have all ended with .18 (as in "CT1K.18") - not much weight penalty for the slightly thicker polyester layers. What did you use?

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast