Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    NeoAir, UQ, Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Defending Dynaglide from the Garda Hitch?

Iv'e been reading a lot here about suspensions over the last few days. I had never heard of the garda hitch before, but it almost looks like the perfect setup for me with the exception of the potential wear that it puts on amsteel. I was wondering if anyone has tried hanging from dynaglide and threading a short section of amsteel onto it that could be slid up to the double rings. Would the amsteel (which could easily be replaced if it appeared too worn) be enough to protect the dynaglide. Would the dynaglide simply slip through the amsteel and garda all at once? Would the buried section be too stiff to effectively do a garda hitch at all? I'm sure someone else here has tried this in the past, but searching for what have become such generic terms as "garda" and "amsteel" haven't gotten me the post I'm looking for. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by designerider; 05-15-2013 at 17:38.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    NO!

The Garda hitch is not in any way recommended to be used with lines like amsteel and Dynaglide. These types of ropes suffer from the compression forces of the rings clamping down significantly weakening the rope. Putting a cover of the same basic stuff over it will not help enough and would only be adding weight to a system doomed to fail. And to top it off there is no way of knowing when or where it will fail.....3 am 1 miles down the trail...broken tail bone landing on that one little rock...or could it be that time you offer the wife/girl friend or perhaps your boss try out your hammock...or maybe...well you get the point...The Garda hitch was decided some time back to not be a good option there are many other methods of suspension that are much better, lighter and just as easy.

My fairly educated on the subject of suspension systems 2 cents.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    You can use 3/8th" polyester webbing in the garda hitch set-up. It has a breaking strength of 1500lbs and I have successfully supported 300lbs from it.

WARNING: Don't tie knots in 3/8th inch webbing it will break at the knots everytime.

I agree with Paul though, the Garda hitch setup isn't at all ideal. I always recommend the All-inOne Whoopie sling from whoopieslings.com

^^ Here is 3/8th" polyester webbing in a garda hitch configuration

^^ Here is the loop I tied in the webbing that eventually broke at the knot.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 05-15-2013 at 18:15.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    The garda hitch has fallen out of favor for good reason. A rope rescue book I was reading only gave it a 220lb load limit and recommended not to use anything smaller than 8 or 11mm rope, can't remember which. If you want to stick with rings I would go with a cinch buckle setup with 1" webbing.

• + New Posts