Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Project

College Project

Hi all,

I'm an Industrial Design student in San Jose, CA, and this semester I'm working on a camping/backpacking accessibility project. After scouring the market for possible inspiration and current solutions solving the woes of sitting/standing/sleeping/cooking etc. associated with camping I think that hammocks have some solid benifits, however for my research I'd really like to talk with some hammockers about your personal likes/dislikes and hopefully arrange for an opportunity to test some gear. Hopefully in the end of all this there'd be some svelte design worth selling.

Thanks in advance
    -Eric

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Man - I just moved from Monterey in December. Would have been happy to help. Post any questions here (or PM me)...should be plenty of folks with some good ideas.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Green-Packer View Post
    Hi all,

I'm an Industrial Design student in San Jose, CA, and this semester I'm working on a camping/backpacking accessibility project. After scouring the market for possible inspiration and current solutions solving the woes of sitting/standing/sleeping/cooking etc. associated with camping I think that hammocks have some solid benifits, however for my research I'd really like to talk with some hammockers about your personal likes/dislikes and hopefully arrange for an opportunity to test some gear. Hopefully in the end of all this there'd be some svelte design worth selling.

Thanks in advance
    -Eric
    when you say "accessibility project", what does that mean?
    if it means what it sounds like to me, making those activities more accessible to folks who find it difficult, then you've come to the right place.
    hammocking makes camp life SO much easier & more enjoyable.
    welcome to the group. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Slowhike: sorry for not being more descript.

The project is geared towards "aging users" especially baby boomers who, unlike in the days of yore, still want to go out. Not to mention that backpacking is quickly becomming a popular past-time. As I've found from reading an exaustive list of posts and websites over the past week there are definite benifits to using a hammock, mainly, not having to bend down. However, Correct me if i'm wrong, but so far it seems that there's quite a bit of doodads to wrangle with in order to get your setup just right, especially considering the conditions. I'm sure a hammock does make things easier, but i'm sure there's a reason why I don't see more hammocks when I go out camping/backpacking.

Either way it seems like a fun topic to tackle.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Keep your eyes open - there should be a couple of easier-to-use setups becoming commercially available soon. Might be the very thing you're looking for for your project.

Welcome to the Forums!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not many doodads are needed...we just like to talk about gear here so it looks that way.

Ground - tarp, bottom insulation (pad), top insulation (bag or quilt).
    Hammock - tarp, bottom insulation (pad or underquilt), top insulation (bag or quilt), hammock.

Piece of cake.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Keep your eyes open - there should be a couple of easier-to-use setups becoming commercially available soon. Might be the very thing you're looking for for your project.

Welcome to the Forums!
    Hmmmmmm.....Have you seen something that the rest of us have not? BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    Hammocking is easy, sleeping on the ground is hard. The complications arise trying to keep warm. There are an endless number of solutions to solve that problem. Hammockers deal with conductive loss, convective loss, radiation loss, and evaporative cooling. The most common solutions are pads and quilts and variations of each.

Your best bet is to attend the April SEHHA Campout in Hot Springs, NC.

Good luck with the project. Remember, as an IE, you must verify your research with personal field use of the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    ...you must verify your research with personal field use of the gear.
    exactly... only thing is it seems like a majority of hamockers are on the east cost, I however am on the other side of the continent.

I'm also wondering if any of you could comment on the transition between tent camping to hammock camping (PM me if the description get's too wordy) ie how you found out about it, why you made the switch, what you bought, how it worked, what you learned, where you went from there?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Green-Packer View Post
    exactly... only thing is it seems like a majority of hamockers are on the east cost, I however am on the other side of the continent.

I'm also wondering if any of you could comment on the transition between tent camping to hammock camping (PM me if the description get's too wordy) ie how you found out about it, why you made the switch, what you bought, how it worked, what you learned, where you went from there?
    I've posted a fair bit about my conversion on my site:

http://www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/

Also about my "odyssey of tarp discovery" here:

http://www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir/

If you want more detail than that, just let me know!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast