Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Lake Santeetlah, North Carolina - Kayak, Fish & Hang

You know I've traveled all over the place, Alaska, out West, Europe and You don't get much prettier than what's right in my backyard with Lake Santeetlah. The campgrounds are first come first serve, on the water primitive campsites that is an hour and a half good paddle to get to.

Last night was my first hang outside several Backyard wood stuff just testing out equipment and make sure I'd be comfortable. My buddies were already there so I got the paddle the almost 4 miles by myself and never saw another boat or person. Set up the Hamic cooked dinner set around and smoked a couple cigars, and then off to bed. Got an awesome night sleep with a great view It was a nice clear cool moonlit night And the geese were coming into the lake so they sang us to sleep. Got a long day tomorrow with a good deal of fish, Will update all that once I get back to the house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hawkerev; 05-18-2013 at 17:09.
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Yes. Thats' a pretty place. I think a HF group did some yakking round there. Remember some of the pics.

Hammock
    BB
    Suspension
    eno pro
    Looks like fun!
    Good luck fishing man,
    Hoping to make it to Asheville in the next few weeks, Ive had a craving for The Wedge Brewery beer
    Gone Hangin' and Phishin'

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Yes. Thats' a pretty place. I think a HF group did some yakking round there. Remember some of the pics.
    Yep. L.D. Cakes led a group there last year. My wife and I tagged along. BEAUTIFUL lake surrounded by mountains and great scenery.

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 05-20-2013 at 08:01.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Hey Rain Man did you do any fishing ?

The fishing is really good for Bass, lots of em, but no size!
    God bless! Brent

-- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Well the 2 night Lake Santeelah trip was fantastic, awesome scenery and a great time of fishing with some friends, who are all hammock campers. Lake Santeelah is loaded with fish, bass and trout depending on your preference, I caught a dozen plus fish released on the spot, for another day.

This was my fist out of the backyard hang and the Clark TX-250 was very comfortable and enjoyable. My view was as good as they come and I set up the Vertex Tarp in porch mode, I like camping where the only sounds you hear are the sounds of nature … well minus snoring friends.

Friday afternoon the wind came up and radar revealed a big storm coming our way … my maiden weather test was coming! So I dropped the tarp low and had the hammock up tight as the wind was blowing 20 to 25 mph. We had a great dinner, some cigars and camp talk about fishing and hammocks then headed to bed about 10:00 pm, storms was supposed to hit about 2 am. At about 2:30 a steady hard rain started and the wind died to near nothing. So about 3:00 am, nature called and I was tired of stale air … I like air movement, so I raised the tarp into porch mode and let the rain, put me back to sleep. Was the 1st time I can recall when it rained camping … and I really did not care, Not a drop of rain touched me!

This morning we had breakfast in the rain consisting of pop tart, fruit and coffee, I got to break camp in the rain, not a problem all my gear goes into compressible waterproof bags, and got the Clark into the stuff sack and the tarp into the Tarp Skins from Wildness Logic (I really like these).
    By the time we got to the boat landing, the rain had quit and my first hang was over … I have the fever!

Already planning on some overnight river hanging/fishing trips, we have over 180 miles of river trail in western NC … lots of fun to go!
    God bless! Brent

-- William Shakespeare

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    thank you for sharing.
    soooo beautiful !!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    It’s a really pretty lake and camp sites, with lots of tree choices to hang from, we had 9 hammocks at our campsite with room for more.

And a few more pics of the scenery .
    God bless! Brent

-- William Shakespeare

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I am going to use the 9 hammocks camping for my screen saver.
    SO cool!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Was water on 3 sides so everyone had a lake view!
    God bless! Brent

-- William Shakespeare

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast