Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Is it possible: Small Bedroom with a Hammock Bed

Hello everyone!
    As you may see, I'm rather new to this forum, joined to just ask the community and stuff to be frank about this silly idea of mine.
    So, tiny room, lots of space wasted with a bed. Hammock- packs away, washable + other benefits.
    I have bob standard thick brick wall things I would presume. Now my rooms seems small but with the wall height of 91 inches and some hard work would it work?
    Would you think it's possible to hang a hammock? I just want to give it a go with a cotton or nylon? I don't know, you tell me!
    What's good/cheap/possible?
    Can I make this stupid idea a great reality? Are you up for this challenge? :D
    Last edited by lizzehface; 05-18-2013 at 06:38. Reason: typo

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Go diagonal; corner to corner.
    Height shouldn't be much of an issue. I don't think the ceiling where we hang our hammocks at night is much more than 7.5' (basement).
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    i would try going from top right corner in the wardrobe, to the bottom left corner on the side of the bottom wall... that should get you the length you nee... my brain isn't working otheriwse i would figure it out for you...

the 123 inches would work if you had a good short suspension and all... my 11' hammock has a ridgeline of 9' so it has probably a 10' minimum hang distance, which is just 3" of wiggle room but doable...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

You have a little over 12 ft from lower left to upper right. Desk under the window and wardrobe in the upper left. Have to hang the hammock on a short suspension and unhook one end while not sleeping and hook it with the other end to get it out of the way but definitely do-able.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Guys, I'm going to assume the wardrobe is a large piece of furniture and would be in the way of going corner to corner. If you're talking about a hammock that would fit in 10', I'd probably go upper left to upper right, given you have a way to properly anchor into these walls.

Whatever you do I think the wardrobe, if it is what I think it is will have to be moved. It and the desk might go along the wall where the bed is now.

The room height doesn't really enter into it in a small space.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Momposina at home/ WBBB for camping
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    Warbonet 3/4 Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoop&DutchBuckles
    Personally, i would go from the top left corner to above the door way, that way you will not get in the way of your desk while hanging, and the door will still open. You'll need some decent wall hooks like these or these.

Hammock
    Momposina at home/ WBBB for camping
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    Warbonet 3/4 Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoop&DutchBuckles
    Whoops try this one, or this one

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    90" x 40" right triangle has a 98" hypotenuse. That's about perfect for a 10ft hammock. Put hooks or eyes in the walls (through a stud), and make/buy a 10ft channel end hammock. Use a continuous loop or nacrabiner through the channel and attach to the hook/eye. No ridge line or other suspension bits needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    90" x 40" right triangle has a 98" hypotenuse. That's about perfect for a 10ft hammock. Put hooks or eyes in the walls (through a stud), and make/buy a 10ft channel end hammock. Use a continuous loop or nacrabiner through the channel and attach to the hook/eye. No ridge line or other suspension bits needed.
    Right, this is seeming the most plausible, because like some have figured, the wardrobe is going to be difficult to manoeuvre freely without blocking anything such as window or door.

What sort of hammock would you reccomend? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Swi...0a#page=page-1 Would this be the type of hammock I should look at? What size?
    I don't want to go crazy with money if I end up not liking it or it's impractical.
    What fabric?
    Also what type of hooks? Surely eye hooks are more stable? What do I need to look out for when putting it into walls? What sort of walls are okay? etc.
    Oh and also, do you screw it to the ceiling or walls?
    Stupid questions but gosh they're important.
    Last edited by lizzehface; 05-18-2013 at 06:33. Reason: Extra question.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I used the wall studs. I used 4" long screws that were centered on the wall stud.
    I prefer a closed or welded ring that the hammock hangs from. An openeye or hook can allow for the hammock to pop free.
    I secured the ring to the wall. Then clip a sturdy carabiner to the ring for quick and easy removal/installation.

I had helpers hold the hammock up to the wall to see where a good height would be. You want the hammock to hang at a comfortable level, around chair height, is a general reference. I then marked that height. I then searched the wall for studs in that general area. Once the studs were located, I double checked that the hammock would work from those locations.

I used something similar to these (called padeyes, check your local stores for a source) as my attachment points. Pre drill the holes thru the drywall and into the studs, then secure the pad-eye to wall.

If your studs are not in good locations, you can span between two studs with a solid board and then put the padeye on that board.

Be aware that wires and plumbing sometimes are hidden behind the walls. You obviously don't want to drill into either of those items.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast