Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Be aware of the dreaded Black Fly and plan accordingly.
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Images
    Bug Season: Some Tips For Avoiding Black Flies

John Warren form Adirondack Almanac does a weekly podcast about backcountry conditions for North county Public Radio.

Here is the link to the most recent:

This weekend in the Adirondacks

Of particular interest are these two comments:

Lower and middle elevations trails are drier now, but higher elevations still have snow and ice and DEC is continuing to advise hikers to avoid trails above 3,000 feet to protect trails and vegetation.

Black fly season has begun, so from now until the end of summer be prepared to encounter biting insects. Your best bet there is to wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing, especially in the evening when biting insects are most active.
    While waiting for the higher elevations to dry out consider camping in the McKenzie Wilderness area. You can either park at the parking area off the Whiteface Inn Road (only space for about 4 cars) and take the Jack Rabbit Trail to the trail junction (you'll pass a DEC leanto on the way) or park at the The Haystack Mountain trailhead on Route 86 in Ray Brook (the long way) then hike to the Jack Rabbit trail.

Either way, follow the Jack Rabbit trail to this bushwhack up the back side of Haystack Mountain (my son and I did it last year - that is his pic next to the rock), camp at the rock, hike the rest of the bushwhack to Haystack, then the next day hike up McKenzie and Moose mountains if the trails are dry enough.

Bushwhack up Haystack from Jack Rabbit Trail

Interested in coming with??

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Bug Season: Some Tips For Avoiding Black Flies

John Warren form Adirondack Almanac does a weekly podcast about backcountry conditions for North county Public Radio.

Here is the link to the most recent:

This weekend in the Adirondacks

Of particular interest are these two comments:

While waiting for the higher elevations to dry out consider camping in the McKenzie Wilderness area. You can either park at the parking area off the Whiteface Inn Road (only space for about 4 cars) and take the Jack Rabbit Trail to the trail junction (you'll pass a DEC leanto on the way) or park at the The Haystack Mountain trailhead on Route 86 in Ray Brook (the long way) then hike to the Jack Rabbit trail.

Either way, follow the Jack Rabbit trail to this bushwhack up the back side of Haystack Mountain (my son and I did it last year - that is his pic next to the rock), camp at the rock, hike the rest of the bushwhack to Haystack, then the next day hike up McKenzie and Moose mountains if the trails are dry enough.

Bushwhack up Haystack from Jack Rabbit Trail

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post
    Interested in coming with??
    I would love to but I live in WNY and probably won't get back to the ADK's until this fall.

I had a nice run of 5 years while my son was living and working in Onchiota and going to school at Paul Smiths, but that ended last year when he graduated, headed out west for a 12-week internship building trails for the BLM, then landed in SC working as a surveyor.

This year I'm leading bushwhack hikes just about every weekend in Allegany State Park for a local meetup group (my son and I are both NYS Licensed Outdoor guides, but neither of us uses the license professionally) to be certain I don't become inactive due to his absence.

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think I'll be doing a hike at the southern end of the Northville Placid trail, but the mileage may be longer than 5-7. Also, may be starting the hike on Friday.

David

If People are worried about the infamous black fly we can do the Catskills instead

Images
    Well, had you gone to the ADK's memorial day weekend, you wouldn't have had to worry about the black flies.

Where's spring? Upstate New York gets 3 feet of snow on Memorial Day weekend

WILMINGTON, N.Y. – A Memorial Day weekend storm has dropped three feet of snow on a New York ski mountain near the Vermont boarder.

Whiteface Mountain spokesman Jon Lundin says 36 inches of white powder has blanketed the nearly 5,000-foot tall mountain in the Adirondacks. That has forced the Olympic Regional Development Authority to close Whiteface Veteran's Memorial Highway on the backside of the mountain.

I ended up doing the catskills and whittenberg mtn.

The most troubling part of your post is that you read fox news :/ haha

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post
    I ended up doing the catskills and whittenberg mtn.

The most troubling part of your post is that you read fox news :/ haha
    How was it? Did you use your hammock?

I posted the Fox News story because the Adirondack Enterprise reported the snowfall as only 2 feet. Three feet sounds so much worse.

I used Woodland Valley as a "base camp" and got a nice spot right by the stream since the weather kept most people out.

I did some day hikes, whittenberg is BRUTAL. A nearly vertical climb the whole way up.

Used my hammock, it got down to about 35 and I was snug in my HH and SS. Only condensation was on the space blanket. 35 is a new personal low for me in the hammock so I'm happy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast