Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, you can wear it around camp. A nice feature when it gets colder than you thought it was going to get.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    I'm a cold sleeper. Have slept in comfort down to the low 20's on a calm night with no tarp using a JRB Nest (similar to NS). Key is adequate bottom side insulation and a hood. 1st low 20's night without a hood just a knit ski hat was not ideal.
    YES, you gotta have that JRB hood to make a quilt work to it's effective low temp.

I just ordered a Hudson River quilt. Must by underquilt NOW!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    One more vote for the Speer Top Blanket III. I've been very comfortable in mine (with 2oz overstuff) down into the teens. If I do start to get a little cool, I just bring up my down jacket as a little extra insulation and all is well. This isn't to put down the Jacks at all. I've never owned one of their quilts, but have seen several of them up close and personal and they're incredibly well made. You can't go wrong with cottage gear!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    YES, you gotta have that JRB hood to make a quilt work to it's effective low temp.
    After I get a underquilt that's my next item to get.

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    dunno yet
    Insulation
    Nada :(
    Do you use the No Sniveler in place of a sleeping bag or...what? I'm lost. Will a simple pad and sleeping bag not work????

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Or you can just have really thick hair and grow it really long I can go down into the teens with just a cheap wool beanie with my long hair.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
    Do you use the No Sniveler in place of a sleeping bag or...what? I'm lost. Will a simple pad and sleeping bag not work????
    The reason people use the TQ UQ combo is for one lying in the hammock without any thing in the way (ie a pad) is usually more comfy. And with a TQ as apposed to a bag. It's much easier to get into and it scraps the useless insulation that is usually on your back saving a bit of weight.

Hammock
    "Binford 3600" DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon 10x10
    Insulation
    CCF & Mylar pad
    How about using a TQ without an UQ? Just a CCF pad with a TQ. Besides the pad-discomfort issues, would that combination work?

I'm just getting started with hammock camping. I'll be going along with my son's Boy Scout troop on their outings and need to be able to use my setup on the ground if we end up in a place without anything to hang from. Hence the pad vs. UQ.

So assuming I'll be using a pad in the hammock, would the Speer be too small? JRB work okay? Convert an old sleeping bag? DIY? What do you think?
    -- Tim Taylor

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    How about using a TQ without an UQ? Just a CCF pad with a TQ. Besides the pad-discomfort issues, would that combination work?

I'm just getting started with hammock camping. I'll be going along with my son's Boy Scout troop on their outings and need to be able to use my setup on the ground if we end up in a place without anything to hang from. Hence the pad vs. UQ.

So assuming I'll be using a pad in the hammock, would the Speer be too small? JRB work okay? Convert an old sleeping bag? DIY? What do you think?
    I haven't tried that but I would think that you may lose some side coverage with a pad instead of an underquilt when going with a top quilt vs. bag. The underquilt wraps up around you on the sides some where as a pad lays flat and would not. A bag solves this problem by wrapping around your sides. With a flat top quilt you may need to wrap it around you and tuck it underneath you a bit to get the sides to cover enough. Just a thought, I cannot verify this since I haven't tried it and likely won't since I have an underquilt/bag setup currently. I'd like to get a top quilt at some point instead of a bag for use with my underquilt. To me that would be the ultimate combo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast