Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

FishinFin's Top Cover for BB and UQ Ideas

TOP COVER
    Got to sleep out last night in my BB with FishinFinn's untreated ripstop Top Cover.
    FF TC TopView.jpg
    Crawled in about 10PM and my cat joined me ... he loves the hammock and making biscuits on my down bag.... and we snoozed until about 4AM as he needed to go in and was driving me nuts. Temps were around 20º so not too cold for up here in Minnesota.
    I had no frost or condensation!!!! I did vent it by pulling the top back and had my BB zips open about 1/3 rd.
    FF TC vented.jpg
    It was windy last night and I used my small tarp. The TopCover really cut the wind and provided warmth. It is a wonderful lightweight option. I need to test further in 0º to sub 0º to see more about frost build up.
    UNDERQUILTS
    I have been struggling to get my DIY full UQ to fit the BB to my satisfaction. Last night I decided to put my 1/2 UQ fated to about 25º over the footbox area and it was wonderful!! Way less fussing about.
    uq on bb.jpg ff tc.jpg
    It totally covered the BB foot end and I could put my feet either way with great coverage.
    1:2 uq bb footbox.jpg

I just ordered a Winter Yeti 1/2 UQ and I think I will add my DIY 1/2 UQ to the same shockcord and create a modular UQ for the BB. In essence I would be able to use both in conjunction for real cold weather ... when milder use one or the other. A UQ custom designed for the BB would be terrific ... sort of a custom footbox on the UQ to help it cover the foot area.
    But I think I am going to be happy with the Yeti and using my 1/2 UQ with it on the BB in Winter conditions. Wish I could take the bug net off for winter use just to have less to deal with but that would take away the shelf and I do love that shelf...
    Cooked some breakfast on my Atomic Stove as I fiddled with stuff this morning.
    Atomic.jpg
    Happily off to teach now and then a show tonight ....
    More later BlackBird Squadron.....
    All secure in sector seven,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Very nice!
    I'm with you on the shelf; no net might be nice, but no shelf? Forget it!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Very nice!
    I'm with you on the shelf; no net might be nice, but no shelf? Forget it!
    My name is Shug and I am a shelf addict......

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Wish I could take the bug net off for winter use just to have less to deal with but that would take away the shelf and I do love that shelf...
    I have an idea on that, as I would like a net-less winter BB as well. I will get back to you - I think I know a way to do it, but have to spend some time staring at it.

I think you will be ok with the topcover fully closed - the 1.1 untreated should be breathable enough to avoid condensation. But I'm glad you like it. I thought it might be too light to work effectively. How much does it weigh, and how easy did you find it to attach to your rig?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I have an idea on that, as I would like a net-less winter BB as well. I will get back to you - I think I know a way to do it, but have to spend some time staring at it.
    I think you will be ok with the topcover fully closed - the 1.1 untreated should be breathable enough to avoid condensation. But I'm glad you like it. I thought it might be too light to work effectively. How much does it weigh, and how easy did you find it to attach to your rig?
    Look forward to that!!!!!!!
    I weighed it at 5.6ozs....... and it was easy to hook up on the BB. I just used two mini-biners (JRB) to hook it to the hammock amsteel. Easy!
    I like it and will more than likely use it more than the silksock.
    Thanks FishinFinn.....
    Shug

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I just used two mini-biners (JRB) to hook it to the hammock amsteel. Easy!
    You shouldn't even need the mini-biners. The ggr/draw cord channel end will wrap around the amsteel just past the whipping knot, and the cord lock should then slip through the knot in the shock cord, and be enough to hold it in place. Save like .5 oz, right? Or are you using the min-biners to keep it from sliding backwards over the whipping knots?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You shouldn't even need the mini-biners. The ggr/draw cord channel end will wrap around the amsteel just past the whipping knot, and the cord lock should then slip through the knot in the shock cord, and be enough to hold it in place. Save like .5 oz, right? Or are you using the min-biners to keep it from sliding backwards over the whipping knots?
    I was not truly sure how to attach it but your way make sense..... I don't need no .5oz..... Ha ......
    I like the Top cover a lot ... have I said that?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...the 1.1 untreated should be breathable enough to avoid condensation.
    You might be right. There's a lot of water to condense out of your breath, though.

I used my stock HH fly (not breathable) as a top cover last weekend at 25*... let it hang over the hammock, not tied down. I wondered if being open below would prevent condensation. Not so... each morning, the area right above my face was covered with condensation. My breath rose through the bugnet, and condensed on the fly.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I was not truly sure how to attach it but your way make sense..... I don't need no .5oz..... Ha ......
    I like the Top cover a lot ... have I said that?
    Hey, it should make sense - it's how I built it to work. I tried to save every bit of weight possible on the topcover so a gram weenie would be happy with it, and make it so no additional parts/pieces were needed to install. I should have included a drawing or pic of the installation. By wrapping the ggr/draw channel around the amsteel, it pulls the top cover lower and snugs the hammock body tighter. It's actually an integral part of the design.

I'm curious as to how cavediver is liking his - I haven't heard a peep from him on it. If you are out there and have had a chance to test it, cavediver - chime in.

I may make a few more of these if I get time - they are fairly easy to make.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I may make a few more of these if I get time - they are fairly easy to make.
    I'd give one a ride if you need another test subject...
    Here, winter is quickly running away and the time of overcover is coming to an end!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast