Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I work for a utility company as a field engineer and have been dealing with poles for 10 years. I can tell you most utility companies don't care. I would even venture to say put an eye bolt if you want. One bolt won't hurt the the pole.

I would not recommend keeping something permanently hung from the pole for two reason. First like OG said, lightning rod. Second, if work is ever done on the pole it is much easier to cut whatever you have attached than it is to untie. Make no mistake about it, utility workers will cut off a strap to a hammock if they have to work on the pole.

Word of advice, like most have said about the creosote. If the pole is a dark pole it will have creosote and I recommend a dedicated tree strap. You don't want to keep that stuff with your hammock. Creosote will react with the skin and cause an itchy rash. If the pole is greenish it is treated differently and contains no creosote. Green poles are cleaner on straps but are extremely hard and you may have trouble getting an eye bolt into it.

Hope this helps and happy hanging.

PS. If the pole looks really old I would recommend not hanging from it. What does an old pole look like you ask? look for deep grooved in the wood, lots of climb marks, or look at the top of the pole. If you can see gaps in the wood at the top of the pole it normally means the pole is rotting from the inside out. Use caution.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    After the one at my house got hit by lightning last year I wont even consider it now!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedKlown2 View Post
    Make sure you wrap something around the telephone pole so you don't get creosote in your webbing.
    Creosote is some nasty stuff. The green poles may be better but I would still wrap it or use dedicated webbing.

Hammock
    TableCloth 11'
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ/TP
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I work for a utility company as a field engineer and have been dealing with poles for 10 years. I can tell you most utility companies don't care. I would even venture to say put an eye bolt if you want. One bolt won't hurt the the pole.

I would not recommend keeping something permanently hung from the pole for two reason. First like OG said, lightning rod. Second, if work is ever done on the pole it is much easier to cut whatever you have attached than it is to untie. Make no mistake about it, utility workers will cut off a strap to a hammock if they have to work on the pole.

Word of advice, like most have said about the creosote. If the pole is a dark pole it will have creosote and I recommend a dedicated tree strap. You don't want to keep that stuff with your hammock. Creosote will react with the skin and cause an itchy rash. If the pole is greenish it is treated differently and contains no creosote. Green poles are cleaner on straps but are extremely hard and you may have trouble getting an eye bolt into it.

Hope this helps and happy hanging.

PS. If the pole looks really old I would recommend not hanging from it. What does an old pole look like you ask? look for deep grooved in the wood, lots of climb marks, or look at the top of the pole. If you can see gaps in the wood at the top of the pole it normally means the pole is rotting from the inside out. Use caution.
    Thank you sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock
    TableCloth 11'
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ/TP
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    That was outrageously relevant.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Well unless you plan to lick it or rub your hands all over it, I think you're safe from the Creosote or whatever pesticides they treat it with. As for electrical shock, electricity takes the path of least resistance, a grounding rod would be that path. Not so much poly straps with a nylon hammock. Not to say that it isn't possible for you to get lesser voltage-drop across your body from a strike but a direct one would be quite rare. I'll ask my professor next class, willing to bet i'll get a strange look from him.

Still think the power company will never care what you do to that pole as long as you don't block access to it or damage it structurally. I agree that I wouldn't leave a hammock strung up on it permanently.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Anchoring to a Telephone Pole

That was great!!!!
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    REI Hammock Tarp
    Insulation
    Lumina 0 bag
    Suspension
    rope and paracord
    Great video! I had the guys in my office cracking up with that one!

Re: Anchoring to a Telephone Pole

It's too bad that "engineers" don't have a working knowledge, for the most part, and this does not encompass all of them. As the worker that must try and put "engineered" orders to actual use I can say that those of us who might have to climb a pole with hard attachments would appreciate them NOT BEING DRIVEN INTO THE POLE. If something goes wrong and someone "burns" the pole it will most assuredly cause life threatening damage if snagged on the way down.

NOT an engineer.

Tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast