Pad vs underquilt

I am presently using a BA insulated air pad with a BA bag but am considering going to an underquilt or peapod set up. However, I am concerned about vulnerability of the down quilt to rain and moisture. Right now with my BA pad and bag inside my Clark I have no worries about moisture. I just dont like the hassle of inflating the pad and the discomfort of using a confining bag inside a hammock.

You can do a DIY Potomac/KAQ from the plans here at HF, ithat is, if you really want to avoid down.

There are many strategies for keeping down UQ's dry; larger tarps to prevent sideblown rain, the JRB undercover or their new Driducks poncho modded for undercover use. Keeping the down dry is certainly a consideration but many here do it all the time.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    If your dead set on steering clear of down, then Primaloft synthetic might be another option. It compresses almost as small as down and doesn't weigh much more either and of course as a synthetic it doesn't loose warmth when wet. As far as I know nobody makes a UQ out of it (although Speers sells a 3 season top quilt that does use it). Still if you can find a bag made out of the stuff you can probably convert it to a UQ. My experience with the stuff is pretty positive although I've been taking it into what most people on this site would consider mild temps (mid 30s). Perhaps somebody has more experience with this stuff than I do.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've got a Primaloft jacket that I really like, but I'm a fan of the Climashield XP. There was a rumor that it was discontinued, but I see that thru-hiker is still selling it. My old Warbonnet torso UQ was constructed with Climashield XP and it has served me very, very well. Don't know if the stuff they are selling now is the same stuff, but WBG should be able to answer that question.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    1/2 in tubular web
    I recently completed my first attempt at a DIY UQ... I wasn't sure if I'd like it so i used some quilt batting from the local fabric store (layers built up ~2" thick). I absolutely LOVE the UQ (slept out at 18* F with a 20* bag and was comfortable all night)... but the quilt batting is B-U-L-K-Y! So, from my perspective, UQ's rock... but I'm looking for a more compressible insulation. Living in a humidity capital like East TN, I've always shy'd away from down, but I'm considering it for my next UQ. Cannibal (or anyone), do you know if Climashield compress as well or better than Primaloft?

Cheers,
    jeff

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I LOVE CLIMASHIELD XP!!!!! All the quilts my wife has made use Climashield, and Ayce from thruhiker says it is better per ounce than Primaloft. The 5oz that I use is rated to 20*F and it compresses well for me. Granted that it doesn't compress like a Montbell superstretch, but I can fit 2 of my quilts plus all my stuff into a ULA Conduit. I have used these 2 5oz Climashield XP quilts down to 15* with my clothes on and wool socks, so I am a big fan. By the way, my 2 quilts combined weigh a little over 2 pounds, I would say 34 ounces.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images
    My .02 worth...simple...pad you have to roll and find some place to carry it...underquilt, stuff it and go!

Quote Originally Posted by jcravens View Post
    I recently completed my first attempt at a DIY UQ... I wasn't sure if I'd like it so i used some quilt batting from the local fabric store (layers built up ~2" thick). I absolutely LOVE the UQ (slept out at 18* F with a 20* bag and was comfortable all night)... but the quilt batting is B-U-L-K-Y! So, from my perspective, UQ's rock... but I'm looking for a more compressible insulation. Living in a humidity capital like East TN, I've always shy'd away from down, but I'm considering it for my next UQ. Cannibal (or anyone), do you know if Climashield compress as well or better than Primaloft?

Cheers,
    jeff
    No, Climashield doesn't compress as well as down, but it compresses a lot better than the stuff you used. Using 3-season down quilts you can use a pretty small pack. With Climashield you'll need a larger pack, something like a ULA Catalyst. Also, with synthetics, the smaller you pack them, the sooner they lose their loft. That means they'll weigh the same but won't be as warm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I agree about the compressibility of the Climashield XP; it will squish down pretty good, but I do worry at what cost? I roll my Climashield UQ and it takes about the same space as my Thermarest ProLite3. But, not as heavy!

It is good stuff and will keep your backside nice and warm.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts