Tarp
    Winter Palace CF
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by NMardin View Post
    I know this is a touchy subject to some, maybe some don't like to share a tarp. but I've been wanting to lighten my load and still maintain good coverage for up to two hammocks even in winter. I have the Kelty Noah 12, HUGE tarp, heavy too. And I know to get the best bang for my buck I should get a cuben with doors on it. The weight they would add is negligible. I was looking at either the HG standard cuben or even the winter palace. I'd be sharing it with my soon-to-be wife so were not afraid of getting close

What are your thoughts on it folks? I have limited DIY skills, never messed with cuben fiber either... I want to hear what you got! Thanks everyone!
    I have used a WB superfly tarp for my wife and I to hang under and it has worked well. The tarp gives good coverage but in bad weather you must hang the hammocks close together for optimal protection. I just got a hammock gear Cuben fiber winter palace and plan to use it the same way. My wife does also carry her own tarp to ensure protection in really bad weather if needed. We started hanging in a Clark vertex hammock and progressed to separate set ups because I am significantly bigger and heavier than my wife. If you are looking for a true double hammock the vertex is just that. I might be willing to part with mine if you are interested? Just PM me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    IMHO you'd be better off getting two tarps instead of just one. I know it is nice to hang close to one another but the reality is in a sever storm especially in winter with wind and snow blowing every where, I have not personally seen a tarp set up with two hammocks underneath it to where it would provide enough protection to both hangers. That does not mean it cant be done I just have not seen it. So if the $ is available you could get one HG Cuben Palace and one Standard with Doors. If the weather is nice use porch mode on the Palace and hang next to each other, if the weather is going to be bad then you both have your own tarps to pitch and stay dry underneath. Even if the Standard HG Tarp with doors does not get used, at 8.5 ounces or even less I don't recall the weight but it is negligible and the safety factor exponentially increased. Just MHO.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Hammock
    DIY 11" 1.1 black ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    tewa and HG
    Suspension
    UCRs/Dutchbling
    Images
    Thanks again for the input everyone! Intimacy of being close is a big part of it, also getting her used to hammock camping. She's never slept in it yet for an overnighter, so hanging close together helps with that. Once we get our underquilts and bug nets she said shed give it a try. I've recently read a thread about people using the Kelty Noah 12 (which we have) successfully for two. Not certain if they experienced bad weather with it though. I just got some fabric samples from Marty at WL so I could get a good idea for color (pictures do only so much) and we were talking about getting some Tadpoles. So we will see where it all goes from here. Thanks again for all the positive responses everyone!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I’ve thought about what do should I every be able to get the wife to come out for overnight in the hammock, and a big tarp seems to be a good idea, I do like the honeymoon suite with the vestibule.

But the concerns raised here about bad weather coverage are valid. So I think as I make a kit for her with the hope she’ll join me on the trail every now and then. I believe a two tarp option may be best.

There are a couple ways to do that I think. One is two regular tarps, and in fair weather put them up in a configuration that provides adequate coverage. The second idea is a large tarp and then a smaller one for when the weather is bad and you can’t get adequate coverage with two, you can pull out and set up separate…
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12