Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    tewa and HG
    Suspension
    UCRs/Dutchbling
    Images

Cuben fiber tarp for two hammocks

I know this is a touchy subject to some, maybe some don't like to share a tarp. but I've been wanting to lighten my load and still maintain good coverage for up to two hammocks even in winter. I have the Kelty Noah 12, HUGE tarp, heavy too. And I know to get the best bang for my buck I should get a cuben with doors on it. The weight they would add is negligible. I was looking at either the HG standard cuben or even the winter palace. I'd be sharing it with my soon-to-be wife so were not afraid of getting close

What are your thoughts on it folks? I have limited DIY skills, never messed with cuben fiber either... I want to hear what you got! Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    HG cuben, being only 8.5' wide won't give you coverage at all for 2 and in my opinion neither would the winter palace. I have hung with the wife occasionally finding 3 trees perfect in a triangle, and what we do is over lap the sides of 2 tarps, with doors, closing one end completely with the wifes end closed and mine moreso open on my side where the 2 trees at one end are with us both tieing to the single tree side by staggering your tie offs to each side off the single tree. I don't know of a tarp that would cover 2 as every time you hang will be a totally different setup and my thinking is you would need something in the area of a 16' wide tarp by maybe 12' RL length with modified doors to fit for 2 to be totally covered hanging side by side. In using the standard HG cuben tarp with doors that is 8.5 wide and mine both are 12' long RL even using them single style hanging, you really have to hang your hammock low to the ground to get total side coverage to the ground and what I do is on the windy side sometimes in blowing rain, use my UL poncho on the side of the tarp to the ground to get a more perfect coverage, but,,never have I been wet or my gear wet using a HG cuben tarp in a torrential blowing rain or snow. Backup is 2Q & ZQ's Underquilt Protectors as I have one for the standard gathered end hammock and one to fit my WB RR bridge hammock. With these,,let it blow anyway you want with the doors on the cuben tarp closed off. Hope this helps you a bit.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY 11" 1.1 black ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    tewa and HG
    Suspension
    UCRs/Dutchbling
    Images
    Thanks for such a quick and informative response Acer! Sounds like not even the Noah 12 would be very effective in a good storm from what you're saying. If I'm reading it right, what you're saying is it would be more feasible to achieve sufficient coverage over two hammocks with two HG Standard cuben tarps, just as long as they were laid over each other in strategic locations? I've had no experience with doors on a tarp so I guess that's why I'm having a hard time envisioning what your setup looks like...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    If you're hanging side by side, you'll want the size of a Winter Palace.

David

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There's another recent thread on this same topic but can't find it. I had a HG standard CF tarp and found the coverage too skimpy for a 4-season tarp, so I upgraded to a Winter Palace.

Once you start hanging two under the Winter Palace, you've pretty much eliminated the advantages of the tarp. The doors won't close, and you'll have to hang the tarp higher for sufficient clearance, in all likelihood. The extra width, which would normally provide better coverage for a single hammock is instead used to provide minimal coverage for two hammocks.

Tents certainly provide more cozy factor for those who like to be near each other or cohabitate. You both get to snuggle as you suffer sleeping on the ground!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    tewa and HG
    Suspension
    UCRs/Dutchbling
    Images
    Yeah, we typically bring our UL tent along as well when we camp. Mostly for her (don't tell her I said that). She still hasn't braved sleeping in the hammock, that may change once we get our UQs though. I understand the doors won't close with them side by side, how effective do you think the winter palace would be if we did a bunk-bed style hang?

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    My normal HG cuben tarp,,with just me in my hammock,,is about a foot to 18" off the ground on the sides when normally hung,,to get the sides lower,,you have to hang your hammock just off the ground. A winter palace cuben tarp,,with the hammock hung in normal height off the ground, you might get the sides to all but touch the ground. To put 2 hammocks bunk style, figure your height of the top hammock and that will raise the tarp above it and sides will be way off the ground, and I would think would leave the bottom hammock with way less coverage if your in a lot of wind or blowing rain. In blowing weather, I wouldn't want to be on the bottom. Hope this helps you visualize alittle.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    My normal HG cuben tarp,,with just me in my hammock,,is about a foot to 18" off the ground on the sides when normally hung,,to get the sides lower,,you have to hang your hammock just off the ground. A winter palace cuben tarp,,with the hammock hung in normal height off the ground, you might get the sides to all but touch the ground. To put 2 hammocks bunk style, figure your height of the top hammock and that will raise the tarp above it and sides will be way off the ground, and I would think would leave the bottom hammock with way less coverage if your in a lot of wind or blowing rain. In blowing weather, I wouldn't want to be on the bottom. Hope this helps you visualize alittle.
    I agree with Acer. Wouldn't want to be the bottom hammock in bunk style using the HG Winter Palace if there's blowing precipitation.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    tewa and HG
    Suspension
    UCRs/Dutchbling
    Images
    Good point. Thanks again for all your input. Acer, you mentioned laying one tarp over the other for you and your wife, has that method been effective for you two?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NMardin View Post
    Good point. Thanks again for all your input. Acer, you mentioned laying one tarp over the other for you and your wife, has that method been effective for you two?
    What is your motivation for sharing a tarp? Obviously, if you're considering cuben fiber, then money isn't the issue. And now you're considering two tarps one over the other? That's going to be difficult and suboptimal, in my opinion. Good luck finding a way to string that together - site selection is going to be a monster and you're going to need plenty long tie-outs to achieve anything remotely resembling adequate coverage.I would imagine it's going to be difficult to achieve a tight pitch, and a lot of wind is going to get under the tarps.

Are you trying to achieve some level of intimacy or closeness? Every hammock tarp on the market is designed to keep one occupant dry, to my knowledge. I think I've read a post about modular tarps where you can add a section to make it bigger, but eventually you end up with a giant windsail.

I tend to think you're trying to take the intimacy of sharing a tent (suffering together on the ground) and applying it to hammocks and tarps. Sounds like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole to me.

The Clark Vertex or Flex 180 hammock, which sleep two, sounds like what you are looking for. Of course, they weigh a ton, but you'll no longer have to worry about spending money on cuben fiber 'cause weight won't even be a consideration if you go that route.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 05-23-2013 at 23:17.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast