Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images

Switzerland in 2 weeks. Any ideas on a great overnight location?

So I'm heading out to Switzerland for a week in June and I'm planning to bring my hammock gear for the day-hikes we have planned for just lounging. I also know that they do not really have a notion of backpack camping or "wild camping" there, though they do generally permit it if you set up like stealth camping here in the states. Setup at sundown and break camp at sunrise. So I may also take my main pack along and an overnight's worth of gear.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions of spots that they either have been to or know about I'd love to hear about them. So far I have struggled to find any part of the place that isn't beautiful so I doubt that any location would be unsatisfying.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    What you shouldn't miss is the day hike along the Aletsch glacier, then cross the hanging bridge at the foot of the glacier to get down to tree level where you'll be able to find a place to sling your hammock with a view.
    Don't know where you intended to stay, but the Aletsch hike is in the southwest of Switzerland, in the Kanton of Valais.
    You can find the day hike here
    You can find the route from the day hike down to tree level here (only description in German of that hike, I'm afraid)

If that doesn't fit your location, I suggest you check out the other hikes on the links in this post.
    Personally, I like to hike in the areas of Bernese Oberland, Graubünden and Eastern Switzerland, because of the great views in the mountains. But that's just me, you might prefer to stay below the tree line. Honestly, wherever you go, you won't be disappointed.
    Good judgement comes from experience - Experience comes from bad judgement

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images

Bernese yes, Graubünden yes, but Appenzell is my favorite

The previous poster he excellent suggestions.
    I have backpacked (plus I was raised there) extensively in Switzerland.
    To this day my favorite are the Appenzeller Alps. Not as rugged, but stunning.
    The link below has pictures of several places, the greenest, prettiest ones were taken in The Fählenalp.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/katpier...7625666307107/

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Excellent, thank you! We will be staying near Frutigen in a rental so much of the SW country should be in reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    What you shouldn't miss is the day hike along the Aletsch glacier, then cross the hanging bridge at the foot of the glacier to get down to tree level where you'll be able to find a place to sling your hammock with a view.
    Don't know where you intended to stay, but the Aletsch hike is in the southwest of Switzerland, in the Kanton of Valais.
    You can find the day hike here
    You can find the route from the day hike down to tree level here (only description in German of that hike, I'm afraid)

If that doesn't fit your location, I suggest you check out the other hikes on the links in this post.
    Personally, I like to hike in the areas of Bernese Oberland, Graubünden and Eastern Switzerland, because of the great views in the mountains. But that's just me, you might prefer to stay below the tree line. Honestly, wherever you go, you won't be disappointed.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    fabulouse pics Mountaingoat.

and I hope I remember how to search this post in the future!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Mountaingoat,

I must agree, the photos were stunning! Those valleys are just amazing, It's like you are walking in a hallway. Less rugged is good though. I have a 9yr old that is tolerant of our trekking but not overly enthusiastic about it. Easier trails mean less grumpy child and that's good. I note that in many places the topographic maps paint a.... well.... challenging picture.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    fabulouse pics Mountaingoat.

and I hope I remember how to search this post in the future!
    Click on Thread Tools and subscribe to the thread.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Excellent, thank you! We will be staying near Frutigen in a rental so much of the SW country should be in reach.
    Oh, if you're staying in Frutigen and have a 9 year old with you, I think the Kandersteg to Oeschinensee loop tour would suit. It's nearby Frutigen, not too hard (they reckon it's a 5 hour walk in total), they views are lovely, there's a lake and restaurant at the turn-around-point as motivation for the 9 year old and as another motivation you can go down with a cable car towards the end of the loop.

Btw, there's been a fair amount of snow in the mountains this winter, and the last week has also brought some fresh snow. I.e. you might want to check snow conditions (i.e. if the paths are snow free or not) if you're planning to go on routes at higher altitudes (say above 2500m). Particularly if the route is a north facing one.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    That looks like a beautiful hike! Based on the large number of photo points on Google Earth there I take it it is quite popular as well! We had heard about the snow. Wanted to stop at the station at the base of Eiger but they emailed back that they would not be open until 6/15 due to recent snow.

So is my understanding of the convention for overnight camping there correct? That setting up and farting around all afternoon in tents (what-have-you) is not ok but dusk to dawn without a campfire is considered "bivouacking" and more permissible? I often hear that one should seek permission from the land owner, though I imagine in practice that is not necessarily simple to determine or linguistically accomplish.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    That looks like a beautiful hike! Based on the large number of photo points on Google Earth there I take it it is quite popular as well! We had heard about the snow. Wanted to stop at the station at the base of Eiger but they emailed back that they would not be open until 6/15 due to recent snow.
    Yep, the weather is still toying with us, not wanting to let proper spring/summer loose in the mountains. I don't know if you've seen any news of it, but there are severe floodings in the centre of Europe. The Alps are at the edge of those precipitation clouds, and so have seen a fair amount of precipitation too. If you're high enough, that precipitation is in the form of snow.

So is my understanding of the convention for overnight camping there correct? That setting up and farting around all afternoon in tents (what-have-you) is not ok but dusk to dawn without a campfire is considered "bivouacking" and more permissible? I often hear that one should seek permission from the land owner, though I imagine in practice that is not necessarily simple to determine or linguistically accomplish.
    Basically, your understanding is correct. As in most places, if you use common sense regarding when and where you put up your stuff, you'll be fine. Camping fires can generally be regarded the same way. If you're making camp at lower elevations, you might find prepared barbecue spots (you can find some of them here). There are quite a few of those around (a lot more than just the ones found in the link), and you can always make fires there and also camp there. If you're lucky, you'll find one of the ones with a water source.
    As for "wild camping", I've never had a problem, but have always made sure I'm out of "offending sight" (not hiding, mind) when making camp. Especially when having a camp fire. Depending on where you are, farting around your tent all afternoon might also be ok, particularly if you're a bit higher up (as in: not too close to farm/grazing land in the valley).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast