Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Newbie's Curiosity

Being a newbie to hammocking and using a completely commercially purchased setup, how difficult would it be for me to start trying to make some of my own homemade gear? I'm talking simple stuff here like snakeskins or maybe my own tarp? Bear in mind that I have absolutely NO sewing skills whatsoever outside of the ability to sew on a button (And even that's questionable at best). Thanks in advance for any advice gang! BTW.....have a great weekend to all!!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    The basics of sewing are really easy. Just start doing it and it'll come to you. It'll take some time to get things looking nice, but if you're like me you care more about functionality anyway It's completely an accident that my stuff has started getting more aesthetically pleasing!

Honestly a hammock is about the easiest project to sew. I can make one in about 20 minutes at this point. Just four hems. If you're nervous about having your first project be load-bearing, you don't have to use it right away!

Jeff's all-in-one is slightly more complicated, but not much. It took me way less than an hour to make mine. And you don't have to rely on it to support your weight!

Snakeskins and stuff sacks are a little more complicated yet, but also good intro projects.

For info on how to make any of this stuff, check out Jeff's homemade gear section:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGear.html

A rectangular tarp with straight edges and basic tie-outs would be pretty easy. And less-than-ideally functional IMO, but that's just me. I like the hex-cat design (obviously) but it's more complicated in several ways, as well as requiring a higher level of sewing proficiency.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Hooch. Sewing is pretty easy if you are good with your hands or making stuff. As long as I take my time and don't drink to many beverages while I am sewing everything comes out fine. If I were you I would start with stuff sacks and skins, then go to a hammock, then finally a tarp. To me a tarp with the hardest of them all. Everything is doable if you take your time.

BTW if you really need a set of skins PM me. I have a couple laying around. I have since switched to using one of BB sacks.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sewing is really easy to get started with. By sticking to simple projects starting out you build skill and confidence.

The only down side it DIY gear is totally addictive so once you start it's hard to stop.

If you need some help getting started give me a yell and we can meet up at some point and I can give you some pointers on sewing (Those are words I thought I would never utter).
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My first project was a Risk ZHammock at www.imrisk.com. As BB says, hammocks are just simple straight hems. Once you hang in something you made with your own hands, you'll understand the addiction!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

My hammock/tarp was the first thing I sewed. I had no skills either. I had to get a lady at church to show me how to sew. Hammocks are simple projects to start with, especially Ed Speer's system. Everything is rectangular. It's hard to mess up.

I bought an El Crapo sewing machine from Cheap Mart to do my first hammock system. Then I moved up and bought an old refurbished machine with a bigger motor. I just finished my first underquilt and plan to move on to making some panniers (saddlebags) for bicycle touring.

Jeff is right, once you make a shelter with your own hands you get hooked.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I started with a hammock also. I got a Hennessy in Dec. and wanted a smaller hammock for my son (6). Other than 7th grade homec class I didn't have any sewing experience. I eventually stumbled on Just Jeff's site (and subsequently here) and found it very informative and it inspired me to give it a try (Thanks Jeff!). A word of warning though, it's very addicting! I'm a newbie also, just got started.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for all the advice, y'all. It is absolutely invaluable to me, I really appreciate it. Headchange, I may take you up on that offer some time.
    Having another member one city over can have its advantages, I guess. Don't forget, we have to plan a trip to the gorge or somewhere near us some time. E-mail me some time and I'll give you my number, maybe we can get out and do something.
    Last edited by Hooch; 03-18-2007 at 07:37. Reason: Typo, forgive me.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts