Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch

HUG style bugnet for no net ridgerunner??

Is it workable/doable? Obviously the endcap closure would have to be reworked(I'm thinking a rectangular pattern with some sort of attachment to the loops on the end mule tape w/ a shockcord and cord lock to cinch it all to the hammock) but I think it would work the same once you got the end redone. I know the ridgerunner has a great bugnet already and I would only be saving an ounce by going with the HUG( maybe not even that by the time you add in the extra fabric and the shockcord system for the end) but I would gain a little bit of modularity by being able to drop that weight completely and leave it home if I wanted to. Plus, like the HUG was designed to do, the zipper would be eliminated and getting in and out of the hammock would simpler(in theory of course, I've never actually used a HUG).

That's not my main purpose for asking though. My main purpose for asking is the price difference. There is a $65 price difference between the respective single layer RR's and a $70 difference between the two double layers, which is big price difference(to me anyways). Anyone with a no net ridgerunner care to chime in with their bugnet solutions for the times they do need one? Anyone with a no net ridgerunner wish they had just forked out the extra cash for the bugnet?

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    No on has any thoughts on this huh? Even to say "that's a terrible idea don't do it!" Lol

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

There are a few threads on the cost savings or "perceived" cost savings of DIY.

Here's one https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=63032

My thought on the cost difference is what would be the cost of the DIY HUG and the time spent making it?

Unless you have some noseeum netting, mule tape, shock cord, etc. laying around, you're cost difference between buying a netless and making a HUG or just buying a netted is going to be pretty small once it all adds up.

Like you mention, weight savings would be minimal, but in non-bug season you would be able to save the entire weight of the net.

I have a netted double layer RR and love it.

If you're going to need bug protection, and your biggest decision maker in wanting to DIY something is cost, I'd say buy netted.

My .02

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not quite what your asking but this is what I did on my netless GrizzBridge....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    There are a few threads on the cost savings or "perceived" cost savings of DIY.

Here's one https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=63032

My thought on the cost difference is what would be the cost of the DIY HUG and the time spent making it?

Unless you have some noseeum netting, mule tape, shock cord, etc. laying around, you're cost difference between buying a netless and making a HUG or just buying a netted is going to be pretty small once it all adds up.

Like you mention, weight savings would be minimal, but in non-bug season you would be able to save the entire weight of the net.

I have a netted double layer RR and love it.

If you're going to need bug protection, and your biggest decision maker in wanting to DIY something is cost, I'd say buy netted.

My .02
    I actually do have all the materials minus the mule tape, what is that needed for? I wouldn't think a bugnet would need something as strong as mule tape for reinforcement. I do agree with your points though. Plus anything I DIY is without a doubt going to pale in comparison to whatever comparable item Brandon can put out. That guy's a wizard when it comes to hammock gear. One thing I should add is cost isn't the only factor, weight is too, it's just less important. And my train of thought wasn't so much ill save the money and DIY as I have no problem spending the money for well made product from someone else, it was more a factor of, "I can get one with no net now and save money, and then if I find I really need a bugnet down the road I can sort out those details later. I live in AZ so it's pretty dry year round so a bugnet is needed way less the. Some place like the Florida Everglades. In fact I rarely wear bug repellant when I go out and usually only come back with a couple bites/stings.

On a separate note from bugnets but related to weight savings Tendetoe, are you using the stock spreader bars or have you found some super awesome way to utilize trekking poles? Probably the best one I've seen is Hairbear's. simply genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Not quite what your asking but this is what I did on my netless GrizzBridge....
    Shug

I actually just watched this video last night while searching for DIY bridge ideas Shug and I gotta tell ya, I love everything about that bugnet. It's like a full size HUG in practice and even less finicky, I seriously can't find anything I don't like about it and I watched the video twice back to back to make sure I was catching all the details. And people say we gingers aren't smart have you had the time to test out this net in really buggy weather? One thing I was thinking of to ensure its "bugproofness" is to take your empty/almost empty pack and shove it up into the foot area to seal off that area completely and then do the same thing at the head end with some spare clothing/ pillow. What say ye?

On a different topic, one thing you didn't mention in your ridgerunner vid( and its understandable as you hadn't had much time with it yet) is how you like the ridgerunner in comparison to your grizz bridge. Was one noticably more comfortable than the other? Did you find you missed the saddlebags and other features of the ridgerunner when going back to the grizz bridge? I know I'm bombarding you and since you prefer bridges as your "Sunday drivers" you maybe haven't put much time into them to make definitive statements like that, I was just curious. As usual, HYOH and Happy Hanging folks!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

You mentioned mule tape in your first post. That's why I added it to the list of materials.

I'd say if you have the materials on hand, order the no net and DIY a HUG. Worst case it doesn't work and you can put the hammock on the For Sale forum. Recoup most/all your funds and start from scratch buying a netted.

I actually have a stock foot end spreader bar and a "beefier" head end spreader that's recommended for bigger users.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    You mentioned mule tape in your first post. That's why I added it to the list of materials.

I'd say if you have the materials on hand, order the no net and DIY a HUG. Worst case it doesn't work and you can put the hammock on the For Sale forum. Recoup most/all your funds and start from scratch buying a netted.

I actually have a stock foot end spreader bar and a "beefier" head end spreader that's recommended for bigger users.
    Ah, my apologies, I said mule tape in reference to the side webbing(as I don't know what Brandon actually used) on the edges of the ridgerunner and using the loop in the ends as an attachment point for the corners of that bugnet. After watching shug's video on his DIY bugnet for his grizz bridge though I really like that idea vs the HUG. Same concept but purpose built for a bridge and far more refined than anything I could have come up with on my own. Now to get the funds to buy a ridgerunner...stupid bills and responsibilities lol. How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? I only ask because I'm a not so light hammock hanger myself and I'm wondering at what point should the heftier bars be considered? Also how much more do they weigh beyond the normal bars?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

Here's a thread on them - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...193#post968193

Brandon recommends the beefier head end version for folks over 200 (has had folks in the 225-250 range bend/break them).

I didn't feel nervous being 270 lbs. with the stock spreaders when the hammock was suspended at the correct angle.

The closer you get to a 0 degree hang angle, however, the greater the force on the spreaders.

Meaning, say I end up in a scenario where the only hang option is a less than ideal 10-15 degree hang angle.

The beefier spreader gives me peace of mind.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Here's a thread on them - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...193#post968193

Brandon recommends the beefier head end version for folks over 200 (has had folks in the 225-250 range bend/break them).

I didn't feel nervous being 270 lbs. with the stock spreaders when the hammock was suspended at the correct angle.

The closer you get to a 0 degree hang angle, however, the greater the force on the spreaders.

Meaning, say I end up in a scenario where the only hang option is a less than ideal 10-15 degree hang angle.

The beefier spreader gives me peace of mind.
    Got ya, thanks for the info!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    No on has any thoughts on this huh? Even to say "that's a terrible idea don't do it!" Lol
    I've been making HUG bugnets for my DIY bridge hammocks for a while. Some modification needed for a RR I imagine, but the principle is the same.

The principle of tucking the net under you to create the seal has worked for me so far.

The one shown here is 2-3 oz.

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast