Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Not only are they no longer using these crap biners, the new ones are CE rated. As a rope rescue and rope gear sales guy, I can tell you there is a lot of sub standard gear out there. Be careful and make sure you get named brand hardware that has the appropriate ratings. Also, if your hardware takes a hard impact, there is a chance that you have stress fractured the metal. Be careful what you use.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MLD UL
    Insulation
    3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Undecided
    The gate was closed - they are spring loaded and close automatically (unless its bent like these)
    you can see where the gate actually snapped off the tip of one biner when it failed.

Good to hear they are using different biners now. I think they should replace any out there like the ones I had.

The hammock is top quality imo. Just these biners are the problem.

Pic comparing size.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Thanks for sharing, I always knew that carabiners were susceptible to failure I just never seen one.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Are you going to contact Kammock? They should definitely replace them. IIRC before Kammock came out they had a discussion thread here and the issue of the biners' weight ratings was brought up.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    INTERESTING,
    My first hammock was an ENO, I did not like to look of the Carbiners, they had some corrosion (bought the hammock at the coast). I contacted ENO, they were very nice and sent me a new shinny biner with the rating stamped on the device. Top rate customer service.

Before I purchased my second hammock, I read through Hennessy's Web Site. Tom Hennessy pointed out that reputable mfg. of biners would not sell them to his company for fear someone might have a biner fail, by putting it on the suspension incorrectly. That little fact stared me thinking about all the different biners on the market. I went to a Climbing Specialty Shop to buy the biners for my Hennessy hammock. They are not pretty, but I trust them.

Hammock
    Kammok ROO
    Tarp
    in development
    Insulation
    in development
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hi Tredge,

We just received your email over the weekend, and came across the thread in hammock forums.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my swift attention, and I am so sorry to hear of this. We offer a lifetime warranty on all our products and can replace this with our newest carabiners & slings quickly.

These carabiners have gone through testing, are rated for 250 pounds a piece, and we tested for much higher weight ratings. We have since upgrade our suspension (Kanga Claw carabiners & Racer Slings), and we will send these as a replacement.

I am so glad to hear that you are well, and we will replace this immediately. Please send your address, and we will ship the new carabiners with a return label so we can examine these properly.

Thanks for your support and allowing us the opportunity to make this right.

Equip & Inspire

Greg
    WWW.KAMMOK.COM
    FACEBOOK
    TWITTER
    Join The MOB™ - Kammok's social network for outdoor enthusiasts making a difference

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OfftheGround View Post
    These carabiners have gone through testing, are rated for 250 pounds a piece, and we tested for much higher weight ratings.
    The problem is that 250 pounds isn't even remotely strong enough for a hammock suspension component, no matter the weight of the occupant.

The realities of the geometry of hanging angles, and the forces generated (both static and dynamic) mean that you should have a far far higher component strength threshold, and that's before you even factor in safety margins. It will be amazing if you don't see many more of these failures going forward. Hopefully nobody will be seriously injured because of it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The problem is that 250 pounds isn't even remotely strong enough for a hammock suspension component, no matter the weight of the occupant.

The realities of the geometry of hanging angles, and the forces generated (both static and dynamic) mean that you should have a far far higher component strength threshold, and that's before you even factor in safety margins. It will be amazing if you don't see many more of these failures going forward. Hopefully nobody will be seriously injured because of it.
    Yah! A good practice to note is that hardware should safely be used at 1/3rd the breaking strength. A/K/A the "Safe Working Load" So this biner is actually only safe at 83 pounds

Hammock
    Kammok ROO
    Tarp
    in development
    Insulation
    in development
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

Thanks AngrySparrow and very true. However the 250 pounds is only what we rate the carabiners for liability/safety reasons. The testing is for over 2,500 pounds. The average customer doesn't understand the complexities of static and dynamic force so we simplified the rating system for the customer (other manufacturers have set that precedent in the market before us). We are looking into any systematic deficiencies and will absolutely put quality/safety at the forefront of our decisions moving forward.
    WWW.KAMMOK.COM
    FACEBOOK
    TWITTER
    Join The MOB™ - Kammok's social network for outdoor enthusiasts making a difference

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL - 144" TadPole
    Insulation
    WL -3/4UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbiner
    That's why I use Black Diamond climbing biners, and Dutch biners too

South Carolina Mike

Getting Begun is Only Half Done

http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthCarolinaMike