DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

DIY UQ project from UL Argon, a work in progress

So, I had been thinking about trying to make an UQ for a while and finally decided to go for it. I just did a conservative estimate of the amount of sewing involved and it's 56.7 yards of sewing. And with all the mistakes I've made so far, I'm going to far exceed that estimate. Genixia talks about the extra fabric easily getting pulled into the stitching, which happened to me no less than 4 times! Could have probably been avoided if I would slow down, but I mean I still have 30 more yards of sewing to go! I had to put a giant patch on it because I damaged the fabric so badly. It's certainly been a learning experience and look like a diy project. Here are some pictures of what I have so far.

Oops actually, I'm not using tapatalk so I'll have to post pics in another post.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    So here are some pictures.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like the patch. Adds style.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Using Argon sounds like a big challenge- good for you to give it a shot!

No worries about the patch....
    "Yeah, that grizzly took a swipe at the hammock, but I managed to patch it up."

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    You are doing just fine, it takes a bit to get the hang of anything new. Working on some types of fabric has a sharp learning curve.

The patch, well a story might be fun. At least no none will be able to steal it and call it their own, because your project is original! You could paint or use a Sharpie to put a design on the patch. I am thinking about putting a design on my next tarp, maybe an eagle or a bat. Maybe making the outline of a Oak Tree might be interesting?

Do It Yourself is about having the power to create something useful by yourself. I take enjoyment out of making my own gear. I feel like it is mine, I know every stitch in the item. I do make mistakes, so what it just makes my gear unique to me.

One hint is DO NOT TRY TO SEW (CREATE) WHEN YOU ARE TIRED OR IRRITATED!
    I consider thread injecting a creative art form. Creating works best when you are in the mood. I do not touch my injector when I am tired or not really interested in injecting.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    I like the patch. Adds style.
    Thanks, I don't really mind the patch, though I did a pretty craptacular job sewing it on, so I'll lose a little volume in one baffle.
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Using Argon sounds like a big challenge- good for you to give it a shot!

No worries about the patch....
    "Yeah, that grizzly took a swipe at the hammock, but I managed to patch it up."
    That's right. It was a grizzly, not my messy sewing. You can kinda see the 2" tear behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    You are doing just fine, it takes a bit to get the hang of anything new. Working on some types of fabric has a sharp learning curve.

The patch, well a story might be fun. At least no none will be able to steal it and call it their own, because your project is original! You could paint or use a Sharpie to put a design on the patch. I am thinking about putting a design on my next tarp, maybe an eagle or a bat. Maybe making the outline of a Oak Tree might be interesting?

Do It Yourself is about having the power to create something useful by yourself. I take enjoyment out of making my own gear. I feel like it is mine, I know every stitch in the item. I do make mistakes, so what it just makes my gear unique to me.

One hint is DO NOT TRY TO SEW (CREATE) WHEN YOU ARE TIRED OR IRRITATED!
    I consider thread injecting a creative art form. Creating works best when you are in the mood. I do not touch my injector when I am tired or not really interested in injecting.
    Good idea to decorate it. I wonder if sharpie would degrade the fabric over time. Might want to find some acid free marker, or maybe sharpies are acid free...I dont know, just a thought though.

And I was probably tired, my neck and back were getting soar, but I just wanted to get as much as possible done when I made most of those mistakes. Good advice.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I found my first quilt difficult and frustrating but in the end having a functional bit of kit such as this one is was very rewarding. Good luck with it and keep us updated as its looking grand!

Hammock
    DIY Tiger stripe 12'
    Tarp
    10x10 diy tarptent
    Insulation
    diy down u/q s/b/
    Suspension
    whoopie/strapps
    Images
    Practice practice Found out what you mean just started a remodel of my old down comforter real down. got a new for xmas so what to do with the old one bottom quilt.
    I started by hanging on the wall took half the stitch out and shook all the down to the other half and distributed it in the rest of the baffles. sewed the edge and hemmed it. I made half the width and took 1 foot from either end hemmed it sewed tie outs and Velcro tabs to holds up against my homemade modified bridge hammock. Will be trying soon I hope.
    Its art and go with it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by lengado4 View Post
    Practice practice Found out what you mean just started a remodel of my old down comforter real down. got a new for xmas so what to do with the old one bottom quilt.
    I started by hanging on the wall took half the stitch out and shook all the down to the other half and distributed it in the rest of the baffles. sewed the edge and hemmed it. I made half the width and took 1 foot from either end hemmed it sewed tie outs and Velcro tabs to holds up against my homemade modified bridge hammock. Will be trying soon I hope.
    Its art and go with it.
    Good idea. Sounds like a simpler route than I took and you didn't really have to deal with the down too much. I've used the down comforter of of my bed plenty of times. I've been using a down sleeping bag for an UQ, but can't wait to have one that's lighter and fits the hammock better.

Did you put channels along the sides to run some shock cord through?

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Looks Great!! Keep plugging along. If run some tape across your feed dogs (avoiding the needle area) then concentrate on hand feeding your material, it will be a lot easier when working with slippery fabric. That was one of the most helpful bits of information that was shared with me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast