WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Whoopie sling weight limit

Anyone know what the weight limit is for a whoopie sling setup? I can't seem to find a straight answer on google. More specifically will it match the 400# eno DN capacity?

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Whoopie sling weight limit

It really depends on the safety factor you want, if you want 4:1 whoopie slings will be fine, if you want a higher safety rating go with 1/8th.

Remember though that most of the cottage vendors on here sell sell webbing that is only rated to either 1000lb or 15000lb so whatever you choose remember your suspension is only as strong as the weakest component.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

I bought some 1/4 inch Amstel and the tree straps from Dutchware. I weigh 220lbs.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so you may need to clarify a little..

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    The fundamental issue is the strength of the cord, not the "whoopie sling" part of it. And the strength of the cord is gauged from the diameter.

There are three commonly discussed cords here, so-called 'dynaglide', whose diameter is 2mm, "7/64" and "1/8" Amsteel, where the numbers describe the diameters.

For you, don't even think about dynaglide.

The listed breaking strength of 7/64" Amsteel is about 1600 lbs,
    for 1/8" Amsteel, 2500 lbs.

These sound like big numbers, but you have to be aware that the tension on the whoopie sling is larger than half your weight, owing to geometry (the angle of the line from hammock to tree), and dynamic forces (when you drop into the hammock). Furthermore, any knot or slice will lower the average breaking strength.

The good news is that splices and whoopie slings lower the breaking strength the least among any possibilities of connecting hammock to tree with cord, lets say,
    to 80%. So for 7/64" Amsteel you're looking at maybe 1280 lbs, and for 1/8" Amsteel, maybe 2000 lbs.

Then to account for dynamic forces and variation in manufactoring it is typical to say the "safe working strength" is some fraction of those numbers, conservatively from 1/10 to 1/5, so a range of 128 to 256 lbs for 7/64" Amsteel,
    and 200 - 400 lbs for 1/8".

The recommended angle of the cord from hammock to tree is 30 degrees, which
    means the static (non-dynamic) load on whoopie sling set-up is your body weight.

executive summary : To support a 400 lb occupant I'd go with 1/8" Amsteel.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The fundamental issue is the strength of the cord, not the "whoopie sling" part of it. And the strength of the cord is gauged from the diameter.

There are three commonly discussed cords here, so-called 'dynaglide', whose diameter is 2mm, "7/64" and "1/8" Amsteel, where the numbers describe the diameters.

For you, don't even think about dynaglide.

The listed breaking strength of 7/64" Amsteel is about 1600 lbs,
    for 1/8" Amsteel, 2500 lbs.

These sound like big numbers, but you have to be aware that the tension on the whoopie sling is larger than half your weight, owing to geometry (the angle of the line from hammock to tree), and dynamic forces (when you drop into the hammock). Furthermore, any knot or slice will lower the average breaking strength.

The good news is that splices and whoopie slings lower the breaking strength the least among any possibilities of connecting hammock to tree with cord, lets say,
    to 80%. So for 7/64" Amsteel you're looking at maybe 1280 lbs, and for 1/8" Amsteel, maybe 2000 lbs.

Then to account for dynamic forces and variation in manufactoring it is typical to say the "safe working strength" is some fraction of those numbers, conservatively from 1/10 to 1/5, so a range of 128 to 256 lbs for 7/64" Amsteel,
    and 200 - 400 lbs for 1/8".

The recommended angle of the cord from hammock to tree is 30 degrees, which
    means the static (non-dynamic) load on whoopie sling set-up is your body weight.

executive summary : To support a 400 lb occupant I'd go with 1/8" Amsteel.
    I've always been curious about by how much dynamic forces increase the weight put on suspensions. Here's a thread I posted showing some hardcore numbers about what it would actually take to break the weight threshold of dynaglide-https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=73701- are dynamic forces really enough to bump the forces up past failure under normal hammock? Even someone who weighs 300 lbs is well below the 900 lbs limit of dynaglide under static hanging.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    are dynamic forces really enough to bump the forces up past failure under normal hammock? Even someone who weighs 300 lbs is well below the 900 lbs limit of dynaglide under static hanging.
    Here is a simple experiment to show a very simple dynamic load. Find an old analog scale...the kind with a dial that when you step on it goes back and forth for a second before settling down. Step on and let it settle. Now without letting your feet leave contact with the scale flex your legs down and spring up. What happens to your weight? Now your weight never left contact with the scale...you did not change weights momentarily...and yet the Load on the scale changed...even just for a few seconds. As you came back down onto the scale for just a second your weight pressed down with more force than you actually weigh.

I think you would be shocked at how much potential there is for Dynamic forces to shock load a system. Ever stumble a little when going to sit down? Toss and turn through the night? Have a small kid get excited and come run and jump in at you? There are many folks here that have tried 550 paracord to hang with a 1:2 or even 1:3 margin of safety and had it snap on them. Math alone does not always keep your tail bone off the ground.

There are all sorts of things that can load a suspension system in ways we don't expect or plan for. Hence the prevailing train of thought is to have a safety margin in your suspensions capabilities. What margin YOU need is up to YOU and what YOU are comfortable with. Some folks are comfortable with a 1:2 margin and others prefer a 1:10 and still others want 1:???

This is one of the great parts about hammocks, you can customize a system that works for you.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    I am 295 lbs, and I use 1/8" whoopies. I have used 7/64" without concern, but decided to try so 1/8" just for a little added security. I have not hit the ground as of yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Here is a simple experiment to show a very simple dynamic load. Find an old analog scale...the kind with a dial that when you step on it goes back and forth for a second before settling down. Step on and let it settle. Now without letting your feet leave contact with the scale flex your legs down and spring up. What happens to your weight? Now your weight never left contact with the scale...you did not change weights momentarily...and yet the Load on the scale changed...even just for a few seconds. As you came back down onto the scale for just a second your weight pressed down with more force than you actually weigh.

I think you would be shocked at how much potential there is for Dynamic forces to shock load a system. Ever stumble a little when going to sit down? Toss and turn through the night? Have a small kid get excited and come run and jump in at you? There are many folks here that have tried 550 paracord to hang with a 1:2 or even 1:3 margin of safety and had it snap on them. Math alone does not always keep your tail bone off the ground.

There are all sorts of things that can load a suspension system in ways we don't expect or plan for. Hence the prevailing train of thought is to have a safety margin in your suspensions capabilities. What margin YOU need is up to YOU and what YOU are comfortable with. Some folks are comfortable with a 1:2 margin and others prefer a 1:10 and still others want 1:???

This is one of the great parts about hammocks, you can customize a system that works for you.
    Indeed, I was definitely not trying to force dynaglide on anyone. To each their own. Merely showing some figures and letting folks make up their own minds.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

I meant to say 7/64" amsteel, i have no idea where 1/4 came from

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    7/64 ought to be plenty strong. If you remember to milk the bury, and hang on the knot, not the toggle, it won't the the whoopie that puts you on the ground!
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast