Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

oops I tore my tarp

Ok, so I have torn my HH Hex tarp. I put extra tieouts in the middle of the tarp to give Thorwren a little more room at the Mt Rogers hang and then tripped over the guy line. It was brightly colored but that did not seem to matter. I did not have it reinforced the way I should have...

Anyway, how does one go about repairing a 6"x 0.5" hole? It is still connected one one side (picture a long rectangle with one short side still attached). Is there some kind of iron on thing I can use? Do I get another piece of silnylon and put it on the back side and then seamgrip. McNett says they have something called "tenacious clean tape" that can aid in the repair process. I am wondering if I can use regular clear packing tape with the Seam Grip.

Adam

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'll let someone smarter than me answer your question, but bummer dude. I just wanted to express my condolences.
    Hope you get it fixed good as new!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

doh!

Thanks

yeah I felt pretty dumb. I had been dodging that line all weekend!

Sounds like the tear is on the edge? Just make an arc and do caternary cuts.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Sorry about that. Nope I WISH it was on an edge because that would a be a great reason to put some cat cuts in. The tear is right in the middle of one of the sides about 2 feet or so down from the ridgeline.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Could something like this work?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    Could something like this work?
    I question wether Tear-Aid would stick to Sil-nylon,
    assuming that's what your tarp is made of.

I'd be tempted to sew a patch and incorporate
    a tie-out in the patch.

Others may have a better or alternate solution.

Images
    Since I am about to add some tieouts to a HH Sil Hex, I am interested in your experience. Was there any reinforcement at the tieout point? Was there a bungee tensioner on the line? The wind at the Mt. Rogers hang was pretty strong on that Friday night, but there was no real danger since it was not raining and the temps were not too low. But the guys going to the Alabama hang this weekend will have to depend on their tarps for safety, since extremely high winds and frog-choking rain are likely. Not a good time for an "oops!". The integrity of our tarps is probably the most important consideration in our setups, IMHO.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Adam, I would just cut out a slightly larger piece of sil and make a patch. But be careful, it might add .5 grams to your tarp weight.

Here is a link for some repair tapes.
    Last edited by fin; 02-27-2009 at 08:33.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Ok, so I have torn my HH Hex tarp. I put extra tieouts in the middle of the tarp to give Thorwren a little more room at the Mt Rogers hang and then tripped over the guy line. It was brightly colored but that did not seem to matter. I did not have it reinforced the way I should have...

Anyway, how does one go about repairing a 6"x 0.5" hole? It is still connected one one side (picture a long rectangle with one short side still attached). Is there some kind of iron on thing I can use? Do I get another piece of silnylon and put it on the back side and then seamgrip. McNett says they have something called "tenacious clean tape" that can aid in the repair process. I am wondering if I can use regular clear packing tape with the Seam Grip.

Adam
    I'm no expert and I haven't tried to repair a tear at a panel pullout. I have repaired a tear, or scissor accident to be more precise when I was sewing, and a poke through in a silnylon tent floor in areas that aren't under the stress that a panel pullout would have. Basically I used a piece of silnylon as a patch and saturation glued it with a diluted mixture of silicone adhesive and mineral spirits using a foam brush to work it in. I think I glued the area, put down the patch, and then glued the patch and the area around it some more using the foam brush to work the patch onto the area. The diluted solution needs to be fairly thin.

It has been a while since I have done that, seems like I used transparent Scotch tape on the opposite side (doesn't stick well if at all but doesn't have to hold real well) and laid the tear on a stool or something so I could get the area I was working reasonable taut. The Scotch tape is to contain the diluted adhesive you are working in to the immediate area and the patch.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast