Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Permethrin Treatments - How long between doses?

So, just before tick season I treated my gear (hammock and bug net) with that sweet nectar of ticklessness we call permethrin, but I need to know how long the treatment should last before dosing up again.

Any guidance?
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I've washed pants treated four times and found it was still effective but I've never gone longer than that without retreating. How did I measure it was still effective? No ticks and in the summer around here that's saying something.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Let's assume I'm not washing yet. Is there a half-life I should be aware of, or should it last me a few months?
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    Let's assume I'm not washing yet. Is there a half-life I should be aware of, or should it last me a few months?
    I'm not sure but I'm guessing a feller could get a few months out of them. I mean they make insect treated clothing ... not sure what material it is but I bet it's the same or a variation on the same. I bet you could extent it by rolling it up and sticking in a garbage bag till you used it again.

Probably is for me I sweat like a wet rock in a creek in the summer time. So of the trail they go in the washing machine. Also not sure my cute blonde wife would let me in the house with them all nasty-fide!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    Sawyer's website says 42 days and you should re-treat:

http://www.sawyer.com/tech-bugs1.html

I treat my gear just before each spring and find it lasts for the hiking season.

Clothing is a completely different beast. Basically I treat at just before the spring (or the first hiking trip whichever comes first) then I re-treat after 6 washings (on the mild setting, with a air dry). If I have to wash on the heavier soiled settings I treat after the 4th wash (still using the air dry setting on the drier).

I use a mild detergent for all my clothes.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Forgot to mention that if I wash my gear on the trail this also counts towards the total before the re-treat.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCRed View Post
    Sawyer's website says 42 days and you should re-treat:

http://www.sawyer.com/tech-bugs1.html
    That's it for Sawyer's 0.5%, OR 6 washings. Of course if something other than Sawyers, especially something not meant specifically for clothing, it becomes guess work. Which would be because the various brands have different stuff in them other than Permethrin which may make it bind to clothing better, or may not. But except for the brands meant for clothing, there is not likely to be any info on the label about how long it will last on clothing.

I have used other than Sawyers ( which I prefer) and it has seemed to be effective at least for many weeks, but I could not say for sure if it would go 6 weeks or not. After a few weeks, set one of your clothing right on a fire ant mound and poke it with a stick and see how they do. When I have done that with a freshly treated but well dried sock, they started twitching after a minute or two and started rolling off dead a minute or two later. However, until then, they ran all over the sock with vigor!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    After a few weeks, set one of your clothing right on a fire ant mound and poke it with a stick and see how they do. When I have done that with a freshly treated but well dried sock, they started twitching after a minute or two and started rolling off dead a minute or two later. However, until then, they ran all over the sock with vigor!
    Neat test! We don't have the nasty fire ants like you have down there. I saw them for the first time last year in Texas and couldn't believe how scary them buggers are. Just tap the mount lightly and they come out in an angry swarm!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Neat test! We don't have the nasty fire ants like you have down there. I saw them for the first time last year in Texas and couldn't believe how scary them buggers are. Just tap the mount lightly and they come out in an angry swarm!
    Oh yes, they are evil rascals!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast