Hello all! This addition to your underquilt won't work well untill it gets cold again, but I thought I would post a quick and easy way to make draft tubes. They will seal the ends of ill fitting underquilts. A lot of UQ makers already have draft tubes built in. They take about an hour (for me at least) to make and attach to any underquilt. Also if you don't like them after using them they are easy to remove with a seam ripper.
First I made 3" tubes with a 1" edge (to attach to the UQ). I totally guessed at the 3 inches for the tubes - it just seemed right.
Each of my tubes measured 47.5" long for my 46" wide underquilt - the added length is because I left one end of the tube open in case I needed to adjust the down amount - and I ended up doing exactly that! I needed more down to seal properly even though it "looked" right.
The 1 inch edge can really be any width you feel comfortable with - my fumble fingers need all the extra material they can get to work with.
I made the tubes so I can pull/fold/flop them "out" of the UQ should I need to vent the underside. I can just reach under and tuck the tubes in or out as needed.
I didn't measure the amount of down I put in the tubes, but it isn't much. That's why I left one end open and simply pinned it closed until I found I had reached the amount of down I needed. The down seals much better than synthetic batting material - it seals around the creases in the hammock really well.
I sewed the tubes just under (about 1/8") the stitching for the shock cord channels.
The tubes themselves are very lightweight - sorry I didn't weigh them, but figure they're less than 1/2 oz or so each. I used some 850 down to fill them and it was about a fist full for each.
Now I have to wait for colder weather to test it. Never thought I would be happy saying that.