Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    Topquilt's done; told you it would be easy

I think I used about 10oz of down in this one, it's probably overfilled more than it needs to be, but no harm. Having underfilled a hair and now overfilled a hair, I think I have an idea of how much needs to go in these articles. I also can't stress enough the importance of weighing the stuff if you are able (I'm not) since it varies in density quite a bit as it's taken from the bag.

The garage is still a mess, so I think I'll do a little down transfusion between them to even things out. I imagine it's slightly better for a topquilt to be underfilled than the underquilt, since it's so squished together between the hammock sides atop you.

It doesn't show in the pictures really well, but the seams are head and shoudlers above those on the UQ. I'm actually pretty proud of the workmanship on this one; straight, narrow double rows of stitching all around. Once the down is sorted out, I'll gros-grain up the perimeter seam and be done (I'm contemplating making the edging from strips of the same fabric, for consistency and feel, and because all the seams are straight and no bias is needed). The split is about 6" below my inseam, and the quilt ends at my ankles where it will butt up against the foot pockets of the underquilt (and a velcro attachment there)

I still have a few kinks in the quilt attachments, but those are all on the underquilt at this point (and both few in number and easily resolved). The next little project will be to make an insulated cover for the head basket, with a bulky collar to seal against the TQ/UQ well.

EDIT: A photo of myself enduring a few brief minutes of all-encompassing insulation in a non-freezing environment. Snug as a bug in a rug in a roasting marshmallow . Once I get the head insulation squared away, this setup will rival the coziest of mummybags, only more comfortable than ground dwelling by a longshot.

TCB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SteelToe; 08-17-2013 at 22:58.
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123