indoor hanging. pointers please.

Ok. So been a while since I've come 'round these parts...

Heres' the back story. I work third shift so I sleep during the day. Last May I wake up and my room was very warm. AC died. Well my father never fixed it and there were a few days where my room got up to 100 degrees. Well the prospect of the AC being fixed this year is marginal at best. Its okay with me.... -I- pay the electric bill.

I got to thinking. Last year I would wake up in a soaking bed from my sweat... HAMMOCK!! More airflow all around me instead of just the whichever side of my fat rear end happens to be topside.

I can't do (or rather won't trust) any sort of bracket on the wall. That solution is out. the room is 11'6x10' (from memory) and the way its laid out I want to hang nearest the window for obvious reasons... which would be the 10' wall.

Lumber is no problem. I have access to four 12' 4x4 and a 10footer.

First question since I'm having trouble envisioning this. I want to know if the resulting ~9.5' span is enough of a gap. I don't care if my suspension lines are a couple of inches I just want to know if its enough for my Grand trunk double.

Secondly. With that span how high up should I put the suspension? I want a reasonably close ball park. Because of my design idea.

I'm planning on each side being a 4x4 column with two 4x4 supports coming off to brace built onto a horizontal 4x4 acting as the base of it all. Once those are built ill put them in place and cut a beam to span the gap from the top of the post to act against compression. The reason I want a top beam is so the force I'm dealing with is compression and not torsion like a bottom supported column would be. Furthermore another reason is because I want to keep my fold out bed in place and there's no way an angled brace would fit under the bed. I'm also thinking if I design it right I can make the support just pop right out when I don't need the hammock.

But the only thing holding me back is a concern if that's a large enough gap and about how far up I should suspend from. I don't mind being a foot of the ground or less... also I'm a big dude if that matters at around 245 dry weight ;-)

Thanks for helping me out guys. Sorry if none of this is clear. I'm posting this from my phone outside under the porch in my hammock ;-)

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Wall off the porch? You've already the hang going on there
    gap=span?
    Every answer you seek is here in the forums if you can search, many will post in this thread to help you out...I'm at work with limited time to respond....but wanted to add that a small fan in the room aimed at the hammock will make you want under insulation even it it's 90F.

I tried sleeping outside last year. But there's a daycare operated out of a house behind us and its just too **** bright to get any actual sleep during the day (even if there wasn't an army of screaming four year olds)

As for insulation. I'd rather have to have insulation that breathes and I can adjust than a bed drenched in sweat.

As to searching I couldn't locate anything on the absolute minimum span you can hang with. which is more or less what I'm looking to find out before I go and cut up a bunch of lumber for an otherwise experimental waste of good wood

Hang up your hammock the way you like it and take a tape measure to it. See how far the two closest possible suspending points are and you will have your answer.

• + New Posts