Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some help picking

Hello everyone,

I am new here, and I have gotten the bug after taking a hammock for a test drive.

I am a spring, fall, and winter camper and do most of my camping on the AT and parks in and around Maryland.

I am not a fan of the heat, but do find myself camping several times in the summer with friends. My real concern with some of these hammocks I am finding is they lack air movement to help stay cool during the summer. I am not in to sweating while I sleep.

I have been looking at the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC with the extra bug netting thinking that might help with the air movement.

I am 5-7 and 225lbs (yes I have many to drop). I am looking for something light weight to encourage a little more backpacking and not so much car camping.

Any help that anyone can give me would be great.

Thanks

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I don't have a WB BlackBird XLC (one day though), but I love the Dream Hammocks from PapaSmurf (ThunderBird, DangerBird, or Darien UL) Randy does excellent work on his masterpiece hammocks.

And welcome to the forum.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Oh man...Welcome to the insanity.

There are lots of choices. Warbonnet makes a great hammock, and if you got with a single layer 1.7 you should be able to keep it pretty light. You might even consider a regular Blackbird since you are 5'7". I'm 6' and weigh about what you do and I love the 1.1 single layer blackbird that I got for my son. With straps and all it's under 20oz. I've threatened to steal it a few times

I personally like the option to not have the net, so I use a BIAS Micro and a Buginator. That way I don't have to carry the net in the cooler months when bugs aren't an issue.

When you get ready for a tarp, check out the Tadpole by Wilderness Logics. I find it's one of the best tarps for backpacking (and affordable).

Good luck. This place is a wealth of information and it can be a bit overwhelming when first getting into it. Above all....Have fun!
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    So many choices so so many hammocks to choose from, I have not tried the XLC but love my BB and am also a big fan of Dream Hammocks as well. I see you live in Annapolis, their are group hangs that are pretty close to Maryland so depending on when you need the hammock I'd suggest trying to make it to a group hang, borrowing a hammock for the weekend from a friendly forum member as well as testing out the various hammocks at the group hang.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL,WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I have both a WBBB 1.1 SL and an XLC 1.7 DL I'm 5'9 and 225+.
    The Black bird is very comfortable but a little tight (cozy) compared to the XLC (which feels huge).
    I have yet to decide which one I like better (I like both of them for different reasons).
    I think that if you are under 6' that you would be happy with both.
    I would recommend (if you don't think you are going to gain 50-60lbs) that you go with the 1.1 DL over the 1.7 DL the 1.1 has a softer feel and a little more stretch. To me this means that it doesn't "push back" as much as the 1.7 DL.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything; They just make the best of everything.

The richest person is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least. (unkown)

and of course There are A LOT of chickens in China.
    NPR correspondent-- Hong Kong

Overwhelming is an understatement for sure. Everyone has some things they like, and other things they dont like. I thank you all for your quick replies.

I have just a few more questions.

I know everyone talks about that "flat lay" that they like. I am someone who likes to sleep with my head elevated as I have bad reflux. Does that mean I should stay away from the blackbirds?

Bug protection is a must. Caveman that Buginator looks like a real option. I spend a lot of time camping in september and october camping along the Chesapeake Bay while hunting. The misquotes in that area are thirsty and big.

I have heard people complain that the single layer black bird allows the bugs to bite right through the fabric. I would think if your wearing clothing or in a sleeping bag this should not be a problem right?

I want to do this right and thank you all for your help.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You can get a single layer, just spray it with some Permethrin and the bugs will not bother you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies

Need some help picking

I live in Panama and camp in the jungle, specifically in the Darien Gap region, where it's only cool/cold in the mountains. I have two Hennessys and a WBBB. Some time ago I contacted PapaSmurf from Dream Hamock to see if he could make me a hammock that promoted ventilation in the sweltering heat and humidity... He came up with a great design that he later named "Darien" and "Darien UL". Believe me it does the trick.

Now, in certain places and time of the year the air is so still even outside of the hammock. For those occasions I use a Cauglan Travelon fan that works great, despite the noise it makes. I hang from my ridgeline and leave it on for 20 mins, which is how long it takes me to regulate my body temp.

Hope this helps,

R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Thanks Ricktrieks I was just looking at his site after Bajahanger pointed it out.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    FWO it looks like you are on the right track. These custom hammocks are pretty pricey, so you don't want to spend that cash only to find out that you don't like it. If you have an opportunity, check out a local hang. Most people are more than happy to let you check out their gear (just be sure you remove any sharp items and your shoes)

You can get a nice flat lay in a blackbird, but you are going to have trouble sleeping with your head raised. Your body weight will pull you down into the hammock and you end up scrunched up at the foot end. Most people suggest putting your head end about 6" (even more) lower than your foot end. Not sure how that will affect your reflux.

I'd suggest maybe starting with a cheap hammock to do some testing. Maybe a Grand Trunk UL or a tablecloth hammock. That way you can see if you like the lay and work from there. You may also consider a bridge style hammock? (so many options)
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast