Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock gear 20
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

tips for staying warm in a hammock.

so about a month ago i went on m first trip with my hammock. I camped on a ridge over looking Reno NV. I slept in my cargo pants a down jacket, and a beenie. the trees around me were pretty scarce and im pretty sue that along with me being very bad at setting up my tarp led to me being very col at night. ( so cold that i had to wake up at about 3:30 am and had to make a fire). i slept in a hammock gear 20 degree top and bottom quilt with and emergency blanket to insulate my lower legs.

here are come pics of my camp setup, feel free to post comments on how i can stay warmer.

file:///C:/Users/Brooks/Pictures/Camera%20Roll/camping.htm
    I am the all-singing, all-dancing crap of this world.... I am the toxic waste by-product of God's creation. ~Chuck Palahniuk,

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi NH,

I couldn't see you picture, but I've found that the bottom quilt has to be snugged up really tight against the bottom of the hammock. Any dead air spaces will make cold spots. Also look to the ends of your underquilt; they need to be tight enough so that they don't allow your precious warm air to escape. When setting up my gear I pull the shock cords supporting the underquilt tight enough so that it's hanging just below my hammock's ridgeline so when I settle in for the night, the quilt it tight.

Also if your underquilt has a differential cut (the outer shell cut larger than the inner shell so that the down isn't compressed when it's pressed up against the hammock), make sure you had the outer side on the outside.

With your underquilt "dialed in" you should be fine. The only other factor would be to hang in a more sheltered area to minimize heat loss from the wind.

PICS...
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WB Traveler, WBRR
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc/Bur,WB Lynx
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There can be a lot of variables to the equation(of staying warm), but from what you say in your post, and from the pic I see in your gallery, it's very open there(nothing to block the wind). Also you state that you pitched your set up on a ridge. I'm sure the view was nice, but if warmth is needed, then pick your sleeping quarters better.

I also see from your pic that your tarp is either a Warbonnet Edge/Mambajamba. It's a really nice tarp, but I think if pitched it a little lower it would also help block the wind. You can also see about putting doors/grizbeaks on the openings/ends.

The last tip I can give you is, get yourself a Sock(if it's cold/windy and I don't mean the kind for your feet). Warbonnet makes a Travel Sock for your hammock(other companies do too) and it will make a big difference(a 10*-20* difference) by keeping in all the heat in those nice quilts you have(I love HammockGear) and not letting the wind rob you of your warmth/heat.

Good luck and Happy Hanging!!!!

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoNut View Post
    I think if pitched it a little lower it would also help block the wind. You can also see about putting doors/grizbeaks on the openings/ends.

The last tip I can give you is, get yourself a Sock(if it's cold/windy and I don't mean the kind for your feet). Warbonnet makes a Travel Sock for your hammock(other companies do too) and it will make a big difference(a 10*-20* difference) by keeping in all the heat in those nice quilts you have(I love HammockGear) and not letting the wind rob you of your warmth/heat.
    +1 I almost always have at least the windward beak on.
    +1 Just got a underquilt protector and it does help. A full sock would be "da bomb".
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I find that its possible to wear too much clothing in cool to cold weather. If no heat is getting to your quilts then they cannot do there job of trapping the warm air. Secondly, you need to have a way to wick moisture from your skin. Have you tried just sleeping in mid weight wicking base layer? A hot water nalgene bottle in a sock or some kind of cozy is great for keeping your core warm.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock gear 20
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    thanks i really like the suggestions about wearing base layers, you have any idea what light ones r out in the market?

and thanks for the help in tarp set up, i agre that that and me bieng set up on the ridge probabolly screwed me over with the whole warmth thingy. thanks verry much.
    I am the all-singing, all-dancing crap of this world.... I am the toxic waste by-product of God's creation. ~Chuck Palahniuk,

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Hammocker View Post
    thanks i really like the suggestions about wearing base layers, you have any idea what light ones r out in the market?

and thanks for the help in tarp set up, i agre that that and me bieng set up on the ridge probabolly screwed me over with the whole warmth thingy. thanks verry much.

There are too many options available for a huge price range to tell you to buy X base layer. Just avoid cotton and pick good quality firsts if buying polyester. Cotton and polyester are naturally hydrophylic. They absorb and hold moisture so they form a cold layer next to your skin. Good polyester is treated to be hydrophobic so it transports the water away from your skin and stay dry. Polypropylene and wool are naturally hydrophobic. Cotton is good for cooling you off in the desert but terrible at keeping you warm.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I've been using a merino wool/polyester blend for a base layer and really like it. Not overly expensive and easy to wash/maintain. Just don't throw it in the dryer and it dries pretty quickly hanging it.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Along with all the other suggestions especially blocking the wind, use a hot water bottle. I use my nalgene or stainless one. Heat up water to boiling point, pour in bottle, make sure it does not leak, stuff it into a sock, and place it in your groin area. It will keep you warm for hours. My water is still pretty darn warm the next morning.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I just got back from my first trip. I used a 30x72x5/8" ccf pad, 0 degree bag. wore wool socks with a cheap set of rocky mid weight base layer from Wal Mart with a lightweight merino wool sweater. No heated water bottle or anything. Got into the mid 30s and I actually got too warm so I had to take off my stocking cap.

I think with this setup I truly believe I could get into the teens our leave my bag unzipped and be comfortable up into the high 40s to low 50s by adjusting what I wear or just go with a light sleeping bag. KilO believe the most important part of my setup was having a large enough pad to give me the coverage.

• + New Posts