Digging the AMOK!
    Tarp
    Anything Cuben Fib
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Suspension
    Still Learning

Claustrophobia VS Hammocking

Ok, it's been a while since I have been here. Long story short...back injury, pain meds, two years, all better now. Mean while, I did end up getting my first Hammock. Hennessy Scout. Done all my set up research, set her up, climbed in, zipped it up and FREAKED OUT! Top was waaaaay to close to my face. As ventilated as that thing was, I couldnt breathe. Ha. So, I am still soooo interested in hammocking. Newer reasons now though. Mainly, my back. Any ideas on hammocks that are not as constricting, that still have the attached mesh on top? I looked at Clarke Jungle, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated!. I live on 30 acres now and spend a lot of time camping there. However, the skeeters are horrific at times and wouldnt want to be without the mesh on top...tried a bivvy once too...that didnt work out either...lol...such a girly man...
    Last edited by WildMedic; 05-29-2013 at 13:06.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Claustrophobia VS Hammocking

There are a few hammocks that have mosquito netting higher up, not draping over the ridgeline, dd frontline and travel, tenth wonder green hornet, and the tree to tree trail gear switchback and mosquitohammocks are the ones I can remember, maybe one of these would solve your issue?

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I have never been claustrophobic ... but the 1st time I climbed into my Clark in the dark zipped up the netting and turned off my headlamp, it hit me! Was like massive vertigo! Yikes!

What I did sorta by accident was to unzip & open up the area by my head and let my eyes acclimate to the darkness, once I did that I was fine and it hasn’t bother me since. Have never spent anytime in a Hennessy Scout, so I don't know how it compares, but Clark 250's are roomy.

YMMV, good luck!
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Images
    Forgive me for asking this but how big are you? That HH scout is tiny. I have two for my kids and had to buy an Exped for my son because he'll burn through that scout in no time .
    May I recommend an HH Expedition or the Explorer. May want hang the tarp a little higher for effect.

Good luck whatever your choice.
    Last edited by Dead Man; 05-29-2013 at 14:16.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    you should look at the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. It is much more open on the sides and the bugnet is high up off your face.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Go longer, wider, netless, get some Knotty Mods........wait! you'd just be better off with your Butt In A Sling
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    While I don't consider myself to be claustrophic (maybe it's denial..), I too don't like to be closed in.

In doing research I even discarded regular gathered end hammocks because all the pics I saw had too high a side and I figured I wouldn't be able to see out easily.

When I designed my bridge hammock I deliberately put the bugnet so that it has triangular shaped panels at each end that allow the bugnet to rise a full 24" above the edge of the bridge hammock.

The closeness of all the bugnets on the commercially available hammocks was one of the deciding factors in a DIY.

Hammock
    Digging the AMOK!
    Tarp
    Anything Cuben Fib
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Suspension
    Still Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    Forgive me for asking this but how big are you? That HH scout is tiny. I have two for my kids and has to buy an Exped for my son because he'll burn through that scout in no time .
    May I recommend an HH Expedition or the Explorer. May want habg the tarp a little higher for effect.

Good luck whatever your choice.
    6' - 200....Which if I recall was the max size for that hammock. I guess when I saw that I was considering closeness as much as I was weight bearing. My son is almost 6' and may be 190 and he loves it.

Hammock
    Digging the AMOK!
    Tarp
    Anything Cuben Fib
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Suspension
    Still Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Go longer, wider, netless, get some Knotty Mods........wait! you'd just be better off with your Butt In A Sling
    Def an option...with my new back issues...floating in a hammock sounds way more comfortable than laying on the ground...pad or no pad, air mat or no air mat...

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    yup... a bigger hammock and a bugnet not attached to the hammock. Hennessy's tarp system is kind of snug anyway. I'd go with a complete modular system- all separated. This way you can adjust the tarp as high as you want and leave off the bugnet if you don't need it. Plus a full bugnet will give you a little more adjustment space and keep them skeeters from chewing through yer backside.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast