Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by mybackpackingblog View Post
    I don't see a lot about Clark Jungle products. This is one I had considered.
    I would guess you are going to have the same problem, with being too enclosed.

Your size both height and girth are considerations. I do not like to be enclosed, so I need open and airy. In the back of my mind I am concerned with how fast nylon burns and I slightly worry about some idiot with fire works or possibly a lightning strike someplace near by. I want to exit in a hurry if I need to.

Oh yes, there is also the call of nature in the wee hours before dark. I do not want to fool around with zippers and nets.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    I had this same issue in my Black Bird until I got used to it. However in my XLC I had no issues at all. Due to the fact that the bug net is more of the hammock and it is way out of my face.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    I too have had some claustrophobia issues with smaller all in one hammocks, like the HH scout. As far as the all in ones go I prefer something large like a HH safari. But my go to hammock right now is a BIAS Camper hammock. I love that thing plus it is modular so I only take what I need. I would recommend a BIAS hammock for you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Hennessy Scout is rated for no more than 5'8" and 150 lbs. I'm not surprised you' would feel claustrophobic at 6', 200 lbs.

While I don't technically have claustrophobia, I do have a morbid fear of integrated, zippered bugnets on hammocks. I've tried the Warbonnet Blackbird and own a couple of Byer Moskito Travellers as well as the Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip.

Perhaps these hammocks cause calf cramps; I don't know. All I know is that when I wake up in the middle of the night with a calf cramp, I panic. I can't find the zipper, can't get it open. It's excruciating. I have to stand up with a calf cramp; it's the only relief.

Since moving to the 11 ft. Buttinasling Weight Weenie Micro and tablecloth hammocks with independent, bottom-entry unzippered bugnets (I use the BIAS NanoBuginator), I no longer get calf cramps. It gives me real peace of mind knowing that if I need to escape my hammock, all I have to do is swing my legs over the side of the hammock and put my feet on the ground. No futzing with zippers.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images

That closed in feeling

I can empathize my friend, I had the same issue myself. I have a HH ultalight backpacker and that tarp was wayyyyy to low for some reason, although it is the same size as my expedition, the bug net doesn't seem to bother me as much in the ULBA. Perhaps it's just my imagination, the color, the phase of the moon, or ... Well, who knows. Getting the tarp up higher was mandatory for me ... I used some lash-it and created a separate ridge line for the stock tarp, adding quite a bit of headroom between the tarp and the bug net. I used shock cord and created new prussics that will grip amsteel, then I actually replaced and shortened the internal ridge line for a better lay. Lastly .... The tarp gets set in porch mode on at least one side ... The side that has the best visibility from within the hammock. Being able to look outside and see something other than tarp made a HUGE difference. My ULBA seems very roomy by comparison to stock now.

Oh ... By the way, my alterations ended up reducing the hammock, suspension, and tarp total weight to just under 30 ounces .... And for someone of my girth, that's about as light a package as you can get with an integrated bug net.
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    Digging the AMOK!
    Tarp
    Anything Cuben Fib
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Suspension
    Still Learning

Re: Claustrophobia VS Hammocking

Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    You have the smallest Hennessy. Look at the Hennessy Web Site, so of the hammocks have a higher ridge line. That means the net is away from your face.

My experience, I liked my Explorer for about 5 Hangs. It has a zipper, all the sudden I could not stand to be zipped inside of it. Nope, the tarp was moved up higher, the zipper and netting moved out of my way (none too gentle). Surprise claustrophobia, has entered into my life. Me the lady that crawled into all kinds of tight places, caves, holes, wrecked vehicles... Oops, I can not be in a hammock with the net, zipped around me. Hilarious, if it were someone else!

I have a Safari with no net, it is miserable for me, bottom entry, I am either hanging it wrong or something, it is very uncomfortable for me.

My Ultra light is going to have zippers all the way around, it already has the HH stock zipper, I am just going to fix it a little more. I am getting rid of my rain-fly and I will be purchasing or making a lighter color tarp/rainfly.

I know that as people age they tend to not like tight places, most spelunkers stop their explorations as they welcome their gray hair. I never dreamed I would have a problem with claustrophobia, well I sure do. Even in my own home I want the windows open. I have a parrot, he will attack anything that comes in the house, so I do not worry about the local boogie man climbing through a window, he would be in a world of hurt before his body part touched the inside of my house. My big fuzzy dog is the backup (well maybe).
    Yeah I knew I was running the risk. Ive been like this since my three older brother stuffed me im a small football shaped toy box and rolled me down a hill. I was still in diapers. I still hate them...:-)...im liking either the Clark Jungle hammocks or the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. Anything that doesnt cradle me too much and doesnt have too low of a net...oh and quick exit abilities is a plus in case I do spazz out...

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    i can sympathize and empathize, i started with the HH bottom entry, i am only 5'2", lets just say....i aborted my bk trip in PA and tossed the hammock...found eno, separate bug net,now i don't have a bug net, since i don't camp while bugs are about
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    I had this same issue in my Black Bird until I got used to it. However in my XLC I had no issues at all. Due to the fact that the bug net is more of the hammock and it is way out of my face.
    Allowing for the fact that we are all different, so we have different needs.
    One of my Hennessy's has a very high ridge line, I still can not stand to be in it with the netting. Which is really stupid, the netting is thin, I can see through it, however my mid says "Nope, this is not going to work".

Maybe go to a Hang, or see if someone in your area would let you try their hammock, find out what works with your body and brain.

Some sporting goods shops have hammocks set up so you can give them a test hang, if you are not too worried about people bugs.

Hammock
    Digging the AMOK!
    Tarp
    Anything Cuben Fib
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Suspension
    Still Learning

Re: Claustrophobia VS Hammocking

I think there are two kinds of claustrophobia. Fear of not being able to breathe and fear of being restricted. I struggle with the latter. Like I have to be sedated for a full body CAT scan with the top two inches from my nose. So as long as I can move Im thinking I should be ok. Im pretty much sold on the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. BUT if it doesnt work it will be for sell! Thank you all for such great advice. Nothing like learning from others experiences!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123