Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My big fear

Images
    There are lots of things to worry about. There are also a lot of people who don't pay attention to the potential dangers. I'm a guy who spend most of my work life (and home life too) thinking of the ways that Murphy could show up and bite me in the behind. Not trying to sound like a boy scout but, be prepared. Be responsible, and think, just think. Use that noodle between your ears. Everybody is six inches from being a genius.

Truth is, if it happens it happens and you can't stop it. If all the potentially bad possibilities keep you from going....don't go. If you don't go...you might want to consider changing that screen name.

Buck up little camper...GO FOR IT!

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I dare say if the storm is tearing live branches from trees and throwing them about you're going to be quaking in your boots in a tent just the same as the hammock. In my area it's darn difficult to locate any site, tent or otherwise that has NO widow-maker contenders in the area. Trees grow like grass in the Ozarks and dead trees are just about everywhere. Dead branches are everywhere.

I will not go camping if there are severe thunderstorms predicted with high certainty. I ignored that once in my younger backpacking days and praying that the hail did not shred my tent in the 40 degree night a solid day away from my vehicle was not an experience I long to recapture. I still get caught by one now and again and I don't like it one bit in my tent or in my hammock. A storm with 40-60MPH gusts and heavy lightning in the woods is just unpleasant.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: My big fear

This reminds me of mortar attacks in Iraq... You can take all the safety precautions in the world, but if you're sitting on the can & a mortar lands in your lap, times up!

You should always take a proactive approach in your wellbeing, but sometimes things are out of our control.

Still doesn't mean it's not hysterical to see someone in full combat gear waddling to the port-a-potty trying not to make a mess of themselves!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    It's the fear of the unknown on any trip that make it more worthwhil. On my first solo backpacking trip I thought about a lot of what if's. The best thing you can do is be as prepared as possible with information and knowledge, make an informed decision to proceed on the trip and have faith that you are you're friend will get by fine. Have a safe and enjoyable trip!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    I know I know... I can't control everything, I think my caution is the former camp counselor in me protecting everyone around me I look at different scenarios and plan plan and plan some more. I do pay attention to the weather, but we will be gone for a week and Lake Michigan can have its own lake effect storms. So I can't predict everything. I could go to another place, but in the end North Manitou is where I love to go, and economically the best option. I know I am being silly, but I over think. Oh and also when its windy out I set up far away from trees. I know full well if I wanted a good shelter I shouldn't go backpacking. Oh well my trip will be in the beginning of July and I will post a trip report. I really do crave adventure, but I also believe in not dying due to stupidity. Nothing makes me more angry than reading about dumb choices people made while hiking, causing accident or injury. You can have a great big adventure and be safe too.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Been There

I hiked the AT twice. I never had a fear of lighting until I got slammed with multiple close strikes coming out of the NOC my 1st year. It send my PDSD into overdrive. From May into September, anywhere on the AT, you will have to deal with it on a daily basis. I can't begin to tell you how many times I wanted to quit. Fear plays on fear. When the storms would roll in at night, I would wonder if a tree was going to fall or a large branch break off. When you're by yourself, it's even worst, unless you're with someone screaming like an idiot.

Every time I got into town, I would hit the internet and try and learn as much as possible about lighting. I came to the place where I learned to accept it. Lighting, trees falling is part of being outdoors. I would make the best decision I could make on where to setup. From there, it's out of my hands.

Also, the debate of tent or hammock if a tree is hit is ongoing. However, from all the information that I've gather, I've decided the hammock is far safer. I found multiple stories of people being hit & killed in tents, 3 sided shelters and even houses. So far, nothing in a hammock.

There's nothing wrong with fear. It's what keeps us alive. Just be smart, & do what you set out to do despite the fear.

OneThingAT - Facebook
    OneThing YouTube
    N. Calif. Boggs Mt Hangout - May 10-12, 2013

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WBSF, MacCat STD
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/Thermarest
    I spent a year car camping with the hammock and hanging in the back yard before taking my first solo backpacking trip. Those back yard and car trips were very enjoyable (insert "able to bring beer" here) and provided me with enough understanding of the gear to be comfortable enough to head a bit further afield. Having an understanding of your equipment, how it works, and an understanding of potential risks associated with any camping trip, is all you really need to head out. This experience provides no guarantees, but it does give you your best chance for a safe successful trip. Take the knowledge you have obtained over the years and trust it.

Have a great trip and please provide us with a trip report and photos when you get back.

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    I hiked the AT twice. I never had a fear of lighting until I got slammed with multiple close strikes coming out of the NOC my 1st year. It send my PDSD into overdrive. From May into September, anywhere on the AT, you will have to deal with it on a daily basis. I can't begin to tell you how many times I wanted to quit. Fear plays on fear. When the storms would roll in at night, I would wonder if a tree was going to fall or a large branch break off. When you're by yourself, it's even worst, unless you're with someone screaming like an idiot.

Every time I got into town, I would hit the internet and try and learn as much as possible about lighting. I came to the place where I learned to accept it. Lighting, trees falling is part of being outdoors. I would make the best decision I could make on where to setup. From there, it's out of my hands.

Also, the debate of tent or hammock if a tree is hit is ongoing. However, from all the information that I've gather, I've decided the hammock is far safer. I found multiple stories of people being hit & killed in tents, 3 sided shelters and even houses. So far, nothing in a hammock.

There's nothing wrong with fear. It's what keeps us alive. Just be smart, & do what you set out to do despite the fear.
    I actually find I feel better if I have someone else with me who is more scared than me and then I go into Mamma Bear Protection mode and be brave for their sake. The friend I am going with is just as tough as me, if not slightly tougher, which makes me more worrisome. I am not afraid of storms in fact I love them..... So I will be fine its just the letting go of the tent I think, which is strange because after my first night in a hammock I swore I would never sleep on the ground again. I have yet to go on a trip where other was not a tent to crawl intoif I needed too.... Not that I have needed to....... But essentially one day I hope to hike the Appalachian Trail, and won't bring a tent, so I got to let go..... And this trip will prove that I can do it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatknot View Post
    Can't you take a pad in case you go to ground? Pitch with walking poles at foot and head to make a low ridge tent with hammock and tarp both attached.
    Plus 1 on this setup so you can go to ground in a clearing if needed. You will have a backup plan if needed!!!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by adventuregirl View Post
    I know I know... I can't control everything, I think my caution is the former camp counselor in me protecting everyone around me I look at different scenarios and plan plan and plan some more. I do pay attention to the weather, but we will be gone for a week and Lake Michigan can have its own lake effect storms. So I can't predict everything. I could go to another place, but in the end North Manitou is where I love to go, and economically the best option. I know I am being silly, but I over think. Oh and also when its windy out I set up far away from trees. I know full well if I wanted a good shelter I shouldn't go backpacking. Oh well my trip will be in the beginning of July and I will post a trip report. I really do crave adventure, but I also believe in not dying due to stupidity. Nothing makes me more angry than reading about dumb choices people made while hiking, causing accident or injury. You can have a great big adventure and be safe too.
    Good, healthy mindset.

Only rarely, do accidents "just happen." Usually, there's a human factor: acts of omission or commission, often connected in a chain.

You're doing all of the right stuff; you'll be fine.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast