Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jcravens View Post
    Great pix!! You've done some really nice things with your compositions... I wish I could do that.

Brought back some memories... hiked that section of the AT a couple of summers ago (a la drought). Climbed Mt. Albert without water... kinda (mostly) sucked. Down near that Bear Sanctuary sign, we watched a bear sail down the trail at ~30 mph running from a dog. The bear was absolutely silent... the dog was putting up a heck of a racket until it saw us, then it skidded to a stop, turned around, and ran back up the trail in the direction it had come down... I think we must have smelled worse than the bear.
    Thank you for the compliment, I am just starting up a photography biz

chris

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I know a lot of people who would prefer to tangle with almost any other wild animal in the woods. Boars can be very bad!
    I've heard that too but once I figured out that's what it was, I could tell they were not interested in us.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Hey betwn2trees,
    Nice photographs. I love the close ups of moss and rocks and snow and icicles. Beautiful compositions, too. Looks like a lot of fun.

Curious to see what backpack you're carrying. I see a Kelty, is the other grey pack a GoLite?

Anyways, with photos like those, you should definitely start your own photography biz!
    cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Trees View Post
    Hey betwn2trees,
    Nice photographs. I love the close ups of moss and rocks and snow and icicles. Beautiful compositions, too. Looks like a lot of fun.

Curious to see what backpack you're carrying. I see a Kelty, is the other grey pack a GoLite?

Anyways, with photos like those, you should definitely start your own photography biz!
    cheers!
    Thank you so much for the compliment on my photos!

yes the Gray bag leaning up against the tree was my golite jam2 my pack weight for this trip started off at 26lb with food and water for five days. The bag did well but that is at its upper limit weight wise. We originally packed to do a 4 1/2 day trip and then put in double the miles each day.
    Chris

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

Thumbs up

...also it was 50deg and starting to snow!...
    Isn't that weird? Guess the air higher up is cold enough to form snowflakes but layer of warm air below is not thick enough to melt them before they hit the ground.

Nice Flickr slideshow and sounds like a wonderful trip - Fun, fun. BTW, more paragraphs and line breaks in the text of trip reports (TR) make it easier for us short attention span/visually challenged types to enjoy your TR.

Hammock
    Travel Hammock wtb BB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12
    Its nice to see some pictures of the trail. I am doing a trip this summer from Standing Indian to the Nantahala Outdoor Center.

One of my all-time favorite sections of the trail. We need to get a group hike going up there for a extra-long weekend.

Great photos, looks like you had a good time, even with a ground dweller around!

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    One of my all-time favorite sections of the trail. We need to get a group hike going up there for a extra-long weekend.
    Excellent idea! I am up for it. Just say when.

Images
    A friend and I hiked that area year before last...up from the camp ground to the AT, spent the night near the shelter, up the trail a ways, back down to the camp ground. When we arrived at the shelter there was a middle aged lady with her dog setting up for the night. In order to give her a little privacy, we set up camp about 100 yds away. The next morning I heard what I thought was the lady calling her dog. Turns out a bear had approached the shelter three times from three different directions in the course of less than an hour. She fended the bear off by throwing rocks and yelling while her dog cowered in the shelter. When I finally went to the shelter to cook breakfast, she was as white as a sheet and visibly shaken. We had no idea about what was going on. A near-bear encounter is a lot less intimidating when you don't know you're having it.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Images
    Nice report & pics

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast