Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    diywhoopies/straps
    I have a bottom entry HH and love it! But with my Papa Smurf hammock it has the zippers and they do come in handy. So I realize I’d like to combine the best of both worlds. Since I don’t do cold weather camping, any mods will be put off until winter time. Then I anticipate the HH will be shipped out for one of the zipper mods. But I won’t have the bottom entry done away with. For me the bottom entry is a no-screw up entry method no matter how many wobbly-pops or cocktails have been consumed around the campfire.

Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    The mod 4 makes no sense to me as I would just build another hammock with no net and save the weight. OTOH putting zippers in the head end eliminates the hassle of adjusting things outside the hammock or sorting things out inside of it. I see no reason to want a side entry when I can have a bottom entry. ;-)
    i agree totally for a Canadian to ship the hammock there then pay the mod then play shipping back damm it's 100.00 i could almost buy a new hennessy, let alone something else. For a american it might be ok but not to me
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I had a Modified Mod 1 done to the bottom entry Expedition and it gives me the best of both worlds: bottom entry and am still able to unzip the net to adjust the underquilt. Excellent workmanship!
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Here is my take on zippers VS bottom-entry as a 10+ year Hennessy hammocker and once-a-year helper (Trail Days).

The bottom entry is my choice for summer use because I can practically dive in to escape swarming mosquitoes at dusk and enter/exit below the center of the tarp where the most coverage is. My first rain experience in the zipper model taught me that shoes left at the side may fill with water, not a fun experience for the middle-of-the-night nature calls... Closing the hammock behind oneself is automatic.

The side-entry makes using insulating pads much easier, so it can be better for cold weather. Just plop insulation of choice inside and hop onto it. The zippers can be awkward to close or open enough for full-opening. Partially opened zippers are subject to damage as one exits/enters. I haven't gotten into underquilts. My gear must be multi-function. I could make an underquilt that serves as a tunic, as I have with fleece, but these don't help if for some reason, I need to "go to ground." A pad can be used on the ground or a shelter floor. My backpack's back pad is part of my insulation layer... (Gossamer Gear Mariposa)

The bottom-entry hammocks are a smidgeon lighter.

My summary of zip VS bottom entry,based on personal experience. YMMV, of course.

PS-Hubby got into a side-entry hammock ONCE and got out practially swearing about how dumb the side-entry was VS the bottom entry which he found to be SO easy to use. I had mis-guessed on the height he needed to have his hammock hung and wasn't outside to coach him on easier entry-exit techniques. More YMMV... ;-p
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've got the mod#4 but kept the original BE, and agree think it's kinda the best of ALL worlds.

You can use the BE when you've got the tarp pitched tight and don't wanna bump it in the storm. As Rosaleen said, also great for when the mosquitos or black flies are swarming.

You can use the side entry when the weather is nice, which really helps when you want to throw your TQ/SB into the hammock to loft for a while. It also makes using a UQ MUCH easier as well. Then the simple added pleasure of being able to reach in/out of the hammock for a cup of coffee or for someone to hand you that item that you forgot to grab on your way in.

And when the weather and bugs work in tandem with you to provide the chance to roll up and 'put away' the bug net...you've got that option too.

I get some folks would use a different hammock if they wanted a netless...but I don't. I don't always want the same thing every night on one trip...and frankly the weight of the net is either always going to be part of your hammock whether or not you zip it away or not. Getting the mod 4 just gives you MORE OPTIONS ON HOW TO USE THE SAME HAMMOCK.

This way I retain all my options, even if the weather or the bugs turn out differently than I anticipated when I set out.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I agree with Owl completely. I've got the mod 4 on one of my hammocks, and love it. What is there not to like about it? (well, maybe the gram counters wouldn't want the zipper weight but gram counters probably wouldn't go with a Hennessy anyway). You can use it like the mod isn't even there if you want (i.e. bottom entry), or go the complete opposite and use your hammock like it is netless! I don't know why anyone would be against getting this modification since it only gives them more options.

My first preference is to go netless, but if that isn't in the cards for any reason, then wallah (pardon the butchered French) and the net is up lickety-split. Since it is such a great idea, the thing I can't believe is that Hennessy doesn't do this out of the factory... not that I want 2QZQ's business diminished.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Just got my HH back from #2 done and I am glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin96 View Post
    i agree totally for a Canadian to ship the hammock there then pay the mod then play shipping back damm it's 100.00 i could almost buy a new hennessy, let alone something else. For a american it might be ok but not to me
    Oh wow, I was literally about to email an inquiry to 2QZQ inquiring about getting the mod 3 done. If shipping is that much to Canada, it just killed the option.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grrreg View Post
    Oh wow, I was literally about to email an inquiry to 2QZQ inquiring about getting the mod 3 done. If shipping is that much to Canada, it just killed the option.
    Donna here...it depends on the shipping method you choose. Contact us if interested, and we can help you determine shipping costs.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I have the HH DJ XL and wanted the zipper on the other side to make adjustments, and to totally remove the net when there are no bugs. I love my DJ XL and wanted to make it more user friendly. I have plenty of other hammocks, but still love the mod #4 on my DJ..
    Both my daughter and I are having the #4 mod. We have several hammocks, she likes her HH but did not like not being able to reach her arms outside of the hammock. She likes the bottom entry, I hate the bottom entry, it is miserable for me, maybe it is because I am short. I do not know why my Safari is so uncomfortable for me.

We all have our own needs and wants, for me, I do not want to be as enclosed as I am in my HH, I learned that only after I bought two of them. My desires are changing as I Hang more. However that seems to be true with everything, beginners one thing advanced a different type of equipment. is desired.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast