Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images

Decided to just do it...downy goodness TQ

I have been putting of as honestly baffles have had be scarred and confused for a while. I got in my down, rip stop, noseeum and omni-tape last week (thanks to our fabulous cottage vendors).

So now I am at the point where I have all my pieces parts cut, layout lines marked and I have started sewing the baffles to the first side of the quilt. The apprehension is growing as I get closer to having to sew the baffles to the other layer (still confused a touch). I can see it in my head, so if I can make it happen like I see it then it should be smooth sailing.

Going with a style that will allow the TQ to be used as a flat quilt, or cinch up a draw cord and use the sewn on Omni Tape to create a footbox. Going with just shy of 8 oz of 850 down...dimensions roughly 76 x 46; I screwed up my measurements (I often do) as my initial plan was to be 78 x 48 but I didn't leave enough for my seam allowance (1" rolled).

I have a hang scheduled in KY in two weeks, so no pressure to get it done.

I just finished 2 baffled down underquilts over the winter (took my time as life gets in the way of projects some times). & honestly sewing the baffles was way easier than I thought it would be. I scavenged the down from a comforter & that was a lot more time consuming & annoying to get the right amount of down in each baffle. Also sewing the drawcord channels was harder than I thought it would be. One thing I did was use an 1/8" or so diameter rod (from a cat wand toy) to make sure I left enough room in the channel to thread shock cord through. Otherwise the inner layer of ripstop in the channel drifted & closed so tight I could'nt get the cord through .

Here is a link to a product similar to what I used: http://m.petco.com/product/105394/Ca...ine-Flyer.aspx

I just folded the material over the rod & rode it along the presser foot to assure I get a large enough channel. A dowel or somthing similar would work just as well.

As long as you have patients, & good dexterity baffles are easy in my opinion.

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J5hughes View Post
    Here is a link to a product similar to what I used: http://m.petco.com/product/105394/Ca...ine-Flyer.aspx

I just folded the material over the rod & rode it along the presser foot to assure I get a large enough channel. A dowel or somthing similar would work just as well.

As long as you have patients, & good dexterity baffles are easy in my opinion.
    Nice, thanks for the tip!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You'll do just fine. I was apprehensive about my first UQ, and it was unfounded. Just take your time. Prep work is the key, and blue tape made sewing straight lines real easy.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts