Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question First Hammock DIY help

I plan on making an eno double nest style hammock. The only problem is that I'm not really sure about what materials to use. I mainly backpack in the winter and base-camp in the summer. Is there any reason to choose a double layer over a single or vice verse? I'm 150 lbs and 6ft tall, so I don't really see me needing the double layer for strength. For a single layer is 1.1 oz ripstop strong enough? I was planning to use 1.1 seconds from diy gear supply but they're out of stock. Is there any other place that has similar prices? I've actually only ever slept in a hammock once before, so I'm trying to keep this project as cheap as possible in case I don't like it.

Thanks,
    Greg

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, WWBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    Woopies.

First Hammock DIY help

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com look at the crinkle taffeta. I have a ENO DN, and a DIY tablecloth. I love the DIY. It's bigger and doesn't weigh much more than the DN. my wife and I both sat in it together and it took the weight just fine. It's easily a third the price of a new DN.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, WWBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    Woopies.

First Hammock DIY help

Forgot to add that both are single layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory_C View Post
    I plan on making an eno double nest style hammock. The only problem is that I'm not really sure about what materials to use. I mainly backpack in the winter and base-camp in the summer. Is there any reason to choose a double layer over a single or vice verse? I'm 150 lbs and 6ft tall, so I don't really see me needing the double layer for strength. For a single layer is 1.1 oz ripstop strong enough? I was planning to use 1.1 seconds from diy gear supply but they're out of stock. Is there any other place that has similar prices? I've actually only ever slept in a hammock once before, so I'm trying to keep this project as cheap as possible in case I don't like it.

Thanks,
    Greg
    it seems like lots of people choose double layer to incorporate a channel for a sleeping pad rather than strength.

Quote Originally Posted by D-I-Ty View Post
    it seems like lots of people choose double layer to incorporate a channel for a sleeping pad rather than strength.
    Hmm..In that case would it make sense to do a double layer since I plan to use it for some winter camping as-well?

Quote Originally Posted by Stargaze View Post
    http://www.tableclothsfactory.com look at the crinkle taffeta. I have a ENO DN, and a DIY tablecloth. I love the DIY. It's bigger and doesn't weigh much more than the DN. my wife and I both sat in it together and it took the weight just fine. It's easily a third the price of a new DN.
    How good is a table cloth hammock? I checked the price of a table cloth against 4 yards of 1.6 oz ripstop from diy and the ripstop is only 2 dollars more shipped. I know that I'll still need some thread but is the table cloth hammock worth $5 less than one made from the ripstop? (Sewing isn't an issue as I am decent with a...thread injector...and there's always my mom) Is the odd $5-ish in savings worth maybe getting an weaker material?

Could I use 48" wide ripstop? Most of what I have read and the patterns I've seen use 60" wide but apparently several commercial hammocks such as the grand trunk nano use 48" width material. If I were to make the hammock a little longer could I get away with the decreased width?
    Last edited by Gregory_C; 05-30-2013 at 17:12.

Hammock
    Knotty DIY, WBRR
    Tarp
    OES, camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighlo 66
    Suspension
    Whoopies, webbing
    One of the advantages of the table cloth DIY's is how wide you can get them. Another is the wide range of colors. That being said, just make some. If you don't like it, make another and sell or give away the old one. The first one I made was intimidating cause I was using my wife's machine. Now I have my own machine and make hammocks and stuff for family, friends, and fun. Regular ripstop makes great hammocks, just not really wide. Looks like you need to make several . Have fun and enjoy the journey. The crinkle taffeta 72 " or 90 " will be just fine. For you, any width would probably be okay with length (10 to 11 ft) being more of a factor
    Last edited by Meerkat; 05-30-2013 at 17:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
    One of the advantages of the table cloth DIY's is how wide you can get them. Another is the wide range of colors. That being said, just make some. If you don't like it, make another and sell or give away the old one. The first one I made was intimidating cause I was using my wife's machine. Now I have my own machine and make hammocks and stuff for family, friends, and fun. Regular ripstop makes great hammocks, just not really wide. Looks like you need to make several . Have fun and enjoy the journey
    It looks like you're right! hmm lets think. One for home, backpacking, base-camping, a loaner...Oh dear look what you've done!

So the construction plan I had in mind (and please tell me if something sounds wrong. I'm 6ft tall and 150 lbs) was 48" x 110" of 1.1 ripstop nylon, 1 spool of tex 35 thread (will one spool be enough?), and 24' of amsteel blue for whoopies.

I plan to make a small rolled seem edge along the length of the material and a three inch channel with three rows of stitching to reinforce it. I'll follows Knotty's gathered end hammock tutorial for securing the ends. I won't be hanging the hammock from the channel but will attach the slings behind the "ball". Is there a way to reinforce the channel so I can hang from them like with an eno? For suspension I'll use homemade whoopie slings following TheBrewGuy's guide. I have some polyester load straps that I've removed the cinch-buckle from to use as webbing.

Does this all work out? Constructive criticism is encouraged.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast