Thread: Who I am

Who I am

I spent over 3 years hiking from SoCal to NorCal never ever coming out for even one night. I have 20 years military service. I always stayed a few hundred feet below the PCT so I could stay away from Flat landers and Rangers. I used snares, trout lines, and a sidearm to feed myself along with a stop in the closest town every 2-3 months for dry goods. I wore a Kelty pack and an LBV. My sleeping gear was a cotton sleeping bag and a tarp. I had never heard of Ultralight gear. Depending on recent hunting success my pack weighed b/t 60-80 lbs. all the time.
    Now I'm 52, own a nice home and retired from the Army with disabilities. I just bought my first Hammock, haven't even taken it out of the bag yet. I've got my pack weight down to about 30 lbs. with plenty of tweaking left to do. My home sits on the edge of a large canyon that enables me to drop in from the east side of my property, but I am going to have the old lady drop me off a few miles up the road where it is to high for poison oak. I have been doing extensive research on hammock camping and have joined the 3 major hammock blogs reading everything I can.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the site. The people around here will gladly help you out by answering any question that you can toss out.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL - 144" TadPole
    Insulation
    WL -3/4UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbiner
    I'm a gram counter myself, getting your pack weight down to 30lbs is great, is that with food and water? or just base? I can help, plus check out my YouTube Channel I do gear reviews, might be of some help.

South Carolina Mike

Getting Begun is Only Half Done

http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthCarolinaMike

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Welcome sierrasteve!!

I understand your approach, I use a lot of high quality lightweight backpacking gear to keep my weight low, but I also supplement my diet with fresh caught fish, berries, etc. while out in the wilderness.

I think you will really benefit from Hammock Forums, the people here are friendly & knowledgeable.
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Welcome from the Bay Area! Have fun and enjoy your new hammock.

S

• + New Posts