Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

Panthertown Hang Advice anyone?

I'd like to hike Panthertown this summer. Any Hang site suggestions or hiking advice?

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    In front of Great Wall Big Green. Had a lot of bear problems their last summer. BigRed77

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Tons of great places. On top of little green or near granny Burrell falls.

I have done several trip reports on here over the years for panther town, check them out for some pics and places I have hung in the past.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    IF the water levels are low enough for creek crossings (if any) headed to Panthertown Friday.....any body know about creek crossings and water levels? Be nice to see the waterfalls cranked up but have to get there first

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've been trying to get up there for my first time and have not been able to make it yet.
    I sent a pm to Inphenity for some advice after reading a trip report.

I don't think he'll mind if I share his response.

My trip went well aside from hearing what I'm guessing was a bear pawing at my food bag in the middle of the night, but he wandered off once he realized he couldn't get it. Be sure to hang all smellables a good bit away from your campsite! Panthertown is a black bear sanctuary. I started at the cold mountain gap trailhead and hiked down the panthertown valley trail to schoolhouse falls. then up the little green trail to tranquility point. I camped on top of little green that night (there is a nice little hammock site on top) The next morning I picked up the little green trail down the mountain to the macs gap trail. I followed macs gap to granny burrell falls. I intended to follow the macs gap trail to the great wall trail, then go up the big green trail and camp on big green the second night then, but I got turned around. The macs gap trail turns to the granny burrell trail at the falls. I ended up on the panthertown valley trail that looped around back to schoolhouse falls. I ate lunch at schoolhouse falls then took the devils elbow trail up to wardens falls, turned around and went back to the panthertown valley trail and back up to the trailhead.

I would HIGHLY recommend picking up the slickrock expeditions map by Burt Kornegay. I picked mine up at the backpacker in columbia, but you should be able to find one at your local outfitter. That map is way better than the forest service map, and includes the many unnamed trails that you'll run across. Packing light in the summer time would be a good idea. There were water sources every few miles on the route I took and I used chemical purification to keep the weight down. Schoolhouse falls is worth a visit and you may want to check out hidden falls too, the pictures I've seen of it looked nice, but I haven't made the hike yet. Hope that helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Theosus also has a great report with pictures

http://theosus1.wordpress.com/2013/0...ckpacking-401/

I have attached a pretty good free map. It's best printed out 11 x 17.

Here are the directions to the two trailheads
    Panthertown Valley Directions

Directions to Salt Rock (west entrance):
    Approximately 1.5 miles east of Cashiers on US 64, turn north (left coming from Cashiers, right coming from Sapphire/Lake Toxaway) on Cedar Creek Road (SR 1120). Continue on Cedar Creek Road for 2.2 miles and bear right (northeast) on Breedlove Road (SR 1121). There is a Forest Service sign here that indicates Panthertown Access. Drive 3.3 miles to the end of Breedlove Road until the pavement ends and turns to gravel. Continue ¼ mile on the Forest Service gravel road that leads to the Salt Rock trail-head parking area. Drive very slowly as this road has many dips and pot holes. [Note: Parking is limited along the gravel road, so visitors are advised to park their cars on the pavement just before the gravel road begins and hike in.]

Directions to Cold Mountain (east entrance):
    From US 64, take NC 281 0.7 miles north. Go past the Lake Toxaway fire station (coming from US 64 this will be on your right). Turn left (north) on Cold Mountain Road and continue 6.0 miles. When the road ends (Canaan Land, a private development, will be straight ahead) bear left on a gravel road (there is a Forest Service sign here that indicates Panthertown Access). Then turn right on the first gravel road to reach the trail-head parking area. (If you miss the turn you’ll end up in a residential development.) Parking is very limited along this road.

I look forward to some trip reports.

Swampfox
    Attached Files Attached Files
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing

Thumbs up

Great place to go. I have camped In valley 10 nights. Go when weather gets cooler. Great place for group or solo. BigRed77

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    I'd like to hike Panthertown this summer. Any Hang site suggestions or hiking advice?
    I like hanging near the shelter. There are a few fire rings and plenty of trees and the creek is RIGHT there if you need water. Of course, on top of Big Green would be awesome, you could catch the sunset on the overlook and then walk a few dozen yards back into the woods and camp. There are a few good spots up there to hang, although I wouldn't try tenting. There is a spot on top of Little Green with a fire ring too... you just have to take your water up with you. There is PLENTY of water in panthertown. It's everywhere, unless you are camping on top of a hill, a liter is enough to lug around at any time. You're going to cross a stream or waterfall. Some of it is barefoot friendly, too.

I went again in June, there was more water there than I had ever seen.

http://theosus1.wordpress.com/2013/0...dvanced-class/

It should be calmed down a little by now.
    Suggestions?
    Stop at Headwater outfitters along 64 just before getting to Cold Mountain Road, and get a big panthertown map. The paper one that you can print online just does not do the place justice. It can be a confusing morass of unmarked trails. Some of the trails are marked, some are not. I went there with someone three times before I felt confident enough to get around on my own.
    If you have a GPS, there are some GPX files online you can download, just google "panthertown GPX"
    The easiest overnight is to park at the east entrance, go to schoolhouse falls, over little green, across the valley to granny burrell, and camp. The next day go down the great wall trail, up big green (which is the hardest part of the trip), down to macs gap and follow it out. The hardest creek crossing is from Big Green to Macs gap. Everything else is calf deep at the most, whereas this one was thigh deep and scary last time. I had trekking poles, had I not had them I don't think I would have made it across. Normally it is mid-thigh on me (Im 6'02) but not very swift.
    Try to hit the side out-and-back to greenland creek falls, easily the most impressive falls that I have seen there. Try to barefoot it... unless you don't mind wrecking your shoes. You will cross a half dozen creeks and numerous mud pits and slime holes. The pain is good for you...
    I have heard warden's falls is great from the bottom, but I haven't been able to find a way to the bottom.
    They did have some bear problems last summer/fall, with a bear approaching a group of scouts. I would definitely practice safe food handling and bear bagging. I think we heard a bear up the valley from us on our june trip. Either that or a 'squatch, I'm not sure. We never saw one or heard anything else.

If you have any other questions feel free to email me. I love panthertown. Our newbie group will probably go again in September. Its pretty in the fall, but fall hiking always scares me. **** yellow jackets can be a pain.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts