Traveler SL 1.1 w/ diy tulle bugnet
    Tarp
    Z-packs cuben
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ &BreezeUQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie

Rant on: second time forgetting tree straps on tree :/

As the title says, I managed to once again forget my tree-straps and dutch buckles on the tree on my final day of a backpacking. The first time i was camping fairly local and came back a day later and they were still hanging there... this time the weather was rough and the location quite far away so there is no going back for them.

Anyone ever have this lapse of memory? I am thinking i need to add orange reflective tape on my next order of straps/buckles from dutchware.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Yea I left straps on at MAHHA Gathland, so easy to forget them. Now I use bright yellow stakes for my spike.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    You have to train yourself to look at the campsite twice, or thrice, to make sure there is nothing left. Not always easy if it's dark, pouring rain, or you're simply worn out. I can't say I've never walked away w/o them...lucky, on smack break, I couldn't remember taking them off the trees and looked and they were gone, so only had to backtrack 2 miles.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Yes, I've done it. I switched to cinch buckles. I never liked having seperated components (toggles, straps). One more thing to forget to pack, or one more thing to lose on the trail.

The weight savings of whoopie slings, wasn't worth it for me.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I left a big set of knotted ropes I was using as straps when I first got started, a nice amsteel packleash with a big stainless steel S biner, and darn near left my food bag hangin if it wasn't for some kid runnin me down to ask if it was mine. There is always somethin I manage to forget to pack too. One day I'll have a trip go off without a hitch.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Not yet and if I do I sure hope it's on my last day of the trip. I'd really be upset to hike 5 or 10 miles and find out when I go to set up. Sure hope I didn't jinx myself. I got a little ocd in me so I think I'll be okay...Bush

Hammock
    Traveler SL 1.1 w/ diy tulle bugnet
    Tarp
    Z-packs cuben
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ &BreezeUQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bush View Post
    Not yet and if I do I sure hope it's on my last day of the trip. I'd really be upset to hike 5 or 10 miles and find out when I go to set up. Sure hope I didn't jinx myself. I got a little ocd in me so I think I'll be okay...Bush
    One of my first trips hammocking i forgot my tree straps at home. I noticed right before (thankfully) I got on the trail and had about a 2 hour roundtrip commute to get back to the trailhead. I more or less did a trail run for about 1hr and managed to catch up with the group of friends i was doing the trip with.

Considering all of the nights I've been out, these three incidents haven't been terrible, but coughing up another 23 or so bucks on something you previously bought to me is a bit of a heart breaker.

Images
    I started with an HH rope/hugger system, and my very 1st trip was deep into some WY wilderness. I was immediately paranoid about leaving the straps, so I developed this system right off the bat: When I undid my fig 8 hitch, as I pulled the rope out of one of the tree hugger loops, I made a point of leaving the rope through the loop on the other end of the hugger. Then I would do a little 1/2 hitch knot to keep the rope and hugger tied together.

If I am using whoopie slings, as soon as I disconnect from the tree, I run the Amsteel back through one of the tree hugger loops and tie a knot. The trick to both of these is to develop the habit of doing this immediately. If you pull the rope out of the straps, never stop and do anything else before putting the rope through s hugger loop and making a knot.

6+ years and have never yet left a suspension part behind. But if I was not habitually doing the above, I'm sure I would have.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Rant on: second time forgetting tree straps on tree :/

Here's a solution. Make the adjustable whoopie loop inside the sewn loop of the strap. It can still be shortened with a marlin spike.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    New hanger here, never actually hung in the woods yet, just the back yard a few times, hopefully I won't leave anything behind, haha. As a ground camper in the past, we've had a pretty good plan of "walking out" the camp site, starting from the very back and walking forward in a line, like clearing a runway if anyone's done/seen that done. I'll just have to start including trees in that so that I spot straps from now on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast