Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas

Question Good buy for DIY UQ?

Hey guys,

I was at a friends house yesterday in which his parents buy a lot of stuff they never use and while I was looking around in his basement I spotted a 'Quest Thermoliteseries rectangular sleeping bag' This thing is rated at 0*F and it kind of blew my mind for its size. I brought it to him and we opened it up and its still in its plastic; never used. He asked if I wanted it, I said yes and he said 50 bucks. I haven't bought it yet but I am wanting to. It has the remainders of price reduction stickers on it so I know they got it on sale. I tried to look it up online but it seems that they stopped selling them but around when it was discontinued it was priced at around ~$50. I saw one post that said that DicksSportingGoods was having a 50% off sale on these bags and MSRP was $100 but they sold for $50.

So my question to you is how much do you think this thing is worth? The weight says 3 lbs but I plan to try to make it a DIY UQ so some weight reduction will be taking place. I figure if it really is a 0* bag, it will make for a decent first UQ.

I've attached some photos of the box its in with the information on it. What are your opinions? What would be a proper price and would it make a worth making UQ? Thanks for any response!!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sterwee; 07-11-2013 at 12:56.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Please....?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    This is just my opinion, but--

My first TQ & UQ were made froma couple of mummy bags in the 3# range. What I learend from the experience was that, in the end, I was better off with one of these.

My advice would be that, if you have $50 in July, set it aside and put $50 with it in August, and another $50 in September, and then buy an underquilt in September.

One of the main reasons this hammock thing gets expensive is the money we spend on stuff we shouldn't have bought in the first place.

That being said, I still have both of those quilts and they are the warmest I have. I just can't use them for anything other than car camping due to the wieght and the bulk.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I planned on getting a winter UQ later down the road but just thought this would be a fun little project if I can get it for a good price. Was wanting to know how much you think this bag is worth

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Probably what you paid for it.

Seriously another 25 bucks to Underquilts.com,for a shell, and a few bags of down from WL, you'd be running with the big dogs. You're already planning on DIY.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Probably what you paid for it.

Seriously another 25 bucks to Underquilts.com,for a shell, and a few bags of down from WL, you'd be running with the big dogs. You're already planning on DIY.
    Think I should just save the bag or give it for a gift and make my own for ~the same price of $50?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Save it for a loaner car camper.

UQs.com provides UQ shells for 75 dollars. Consider down and thread, you can have just about any temp rating you desire or can afford. You'll end up with a custom made piece of high end kit for about half the cost, and learn a few things.

Don't forget that shell is your's. Go over every inch of it and see how it's done, seams, baffles, shock cord channels, before you stuff and inject it shut. Thats like getting a free instructional course w/o having to get the seam ripper out
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Haha Dang. Well looks like I have another project in my future!

and just so everyone knows, I haven't bought it yet from him. I put it back on the shelf and we said we'll think on it. I came here for a price that I should buy it from him for and not feel ripped off. But as usual, I find myself delving into something far greater

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Yeah Dave isn't making it easier. He's also sewing Top Quilt shells now, and showing folks how to install fixed bug netting on their net-less hammocks.

He's operating in a nice niche, that is extremely beneficial to both those working out of a tight budget and anyone desiring to learn a few things as well. His instructional videos and threads are dirt simple and the skills, easy, with a little practice, to reproduce.

He'll even take the time to walk you through it on the phone or via gmail and like most HF members, one of the nicest easiest to talk to individuals you'd ever hope to meet.

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Haha Nothing like the hammock forums

• + New Posts