Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and WB Wooki
    Suspension
    AHE Cinch Buckles

Man Cave/Hammock Lab...

Hey everyone. I've been a member of the forum for two years and posted only one other time. I've researched a lot on here, though. I like to take the "hang-back-and-see-how-things-are-done-first" approach to a new forum using the search bar as much as possible. Plus, I happen to live down the street from another member who has been an amazing resource.

But I wanted to show you all what I'm working on and get some input.

I'm converting a part of my unfinished basement into a sort of gear storage/man cave/hammock workshop.

I want to set up some eye bolts to be able to hang my hammocks in order to work on them and experiment with different tarp setups before I take them to the woods. I have an unfinished backyard (for now) so doing this outside isn't an option. Besides, it'll be nice to have a place to escape the kiddos from time to time.

So, here's my question, as I am new to this I wanted to get your thoughts on how high I should attach the eye bolts. The room is a bit over 16 feet across so I was thinking they would have to be over 6'6", but maybe higher?

The bolts would be fixed, so I figure it's important that they are the "right" height in order to be the most effective in practicing the set ups I'll use in the woods and attaching structural ridge-lines and better suspensions (which none of my hammocks have right now) and so forth. Maybe even start making some of my own as the space should accomodate that.

I've looked at a lot of your setups and have seen dejoha's illustration which has been extremely helpful.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll post more pictures as progress continues. I have some pretty cool plans for the space.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

According to this, you're looking at approximately 76" off the ground, or 6'4" ish...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Try to make your hang distance approximately the same as your ideal tree to tree distance in the woods, if you can. That's probably less than 16 feet, so maybe use adjacent rather than opposite walls. Otherwise you'll have trouble moving your indoors hammocks into the woods. You can compensate with structural ridge lines or connection height, but you'll be doing it repeatedly. It's worth experimenting under ideal conditions.

• + New Posts