Thread: The Darien UL

Images

The Darien UL

i got my eye on the The Darien UL. i would want it 11', but since i'm 210 lb should i be looking at a different Dream hammock. my last hammock with netting i bought was in 2008 so am a little rusty on options and things. my HH Ultra Explorer is getting a little ruff around the edges, but then so am I
    ANY info will help
    TY
    KK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    On the darien ul webpage there's this caution:

Special order only
    If you are interested in purchasing this hammock, please contact us.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitino View Post
    On the darien ul webpage there's this caution:

Special order only
    If you are interested in purchasing this hammock, please contact us.
    i know, but has anyone had one made.
    there is also a warning about being a beginner
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Re: The Darien UL

The Darien UL is made from 1.0 fabric with a weight rating of 200#

IMHO this question would be best if sent to PapaSmurf directly. Another option would be to have the Darien UL made from a heavier fabric, say 1.1 or 1.9.

That is unless you are comfortable with pushing the limits, that call can only be made by you.

FWIW I have a Darien UL and it is by far my favorite hammock, mine is a 10ft model. For what you get IMHO cannot be beat.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    The Darien can be built in a heavier fabric to provide a little more support. Just contact me and we can certainly work something out nice for you.

I put the Darien UL on special order because of a few bad experiences with brand new hangers buying it only because it was lightweight. Somehow this one has gained quite a bit of popularity with brand new hangers wanting to jump to hammocks. That's great news, but it's also important to understand that any lightweight backpacking gear requires some knowledge and experience or bad things can happen.

I've had people bust zippers by laying left in a right lay hammock and forcing the zippers. Tearing the netting with rough use. I even had a guy tie the whoopie slings to the ends of the hammock with some goofy knots instead of using the provided whoopie hooks. He said he had to cut the hammock down in the morning. I offered him a full refund and asked for the hammock back before he hurt himself.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post

I've had people bust zippers by laying left in a right lay hammock and forcing the zippers. Tearing the netting with rough use. I even had a guy tie the whoopie slings to the ends of the hammock with some goofy knots instead of using the provided whoopie hooks. He said he had to cut the hammock down in the morning. I offered him a full refund and asked for the hammock back before he hurt himself.
    You may need to write a book!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, I did get to lay in the Darien UL once and it was sweet. I think your dog Kaia would wreck that thing lickety split if you went with the 1.0/1.1 ripstop, and it's kinda pushing the weight limit for you, KK.

Still, you are not a beginner so you understand the tradeoffs for getting a hammock so light. I have a BIAS WWM made from the same or similar 1.0/1.1 oz. ripstop. Fabric that light is bound to be more delicate. I certainly wouldn't expect it to last as long as 1.9 oz fabric or whatever the Hennessy uses.

The Darien UL is a darn light hammock and I can see why Papa Smurf ain't too keen on selling to noobs who don't understand the tradeoffs for that kind of UL hammock.

• + New Posts