Byers Amazona Skeeter Traveler
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10 x 10
    Insulation
    PL UC
    Suspension
    Selfmade woopies

Double whoopie

Has anyone made a whoopie with a sliding loop at both ends?
    Went out this past weekend, took a hammock that I had not use in a couple trips, I must have scavenged the whoopies from it for another rig. Had to borrow a set from a buddy.
    Sitting in camp the next day,sweating, extra Amsteel, decided to make a set, in order to give him his back. While making my slide end, the thought accrued to me, why not make a slider on both ends?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370306241.399534.jpg

Which lead to how do I attach it and still have the ability to adjust it. That is where my whoopie-biner came to be created.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74012

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast
    Last edited by saustin1967; 06-03-2013 at 19:49.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by saustin1967 View Post
    While making my slide end, the thought accrued to me, why not make a slider on both ends?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370306241.399534.jpg

Which lead to how do I attach it and still have the ability to adjust it. That is where my whoopie-biner came to be created.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74012

So each whoopie would have two adjustable loops, and two whoopies per hammock for a total of four adjustment points? Why would you want both ends of each whoopie adjustable? I'm not following that at all. It seems you're creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Not to mention that you now have to figure out how to attach a hammock or tree strap to an adjustable loop. Whoopie hooks might solve this issue.

However, my greater concern is that instead of more adjustability, you end up with less. It reminds me of when I decided I should suspend my tarp with whoopies, and that didn't work out at all.

Hammock
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10 x 10
    Insulation
    PL UC
    Suspension
    Selfmade woopies

Double whoopie

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    So each whoopie would have two adjustable loops, and two whoopies per hammock for a total of four adjustment points? Why would you want both ends of each whoopie adjustable? I'm not following that at all. It seems you're creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Not to mention that you now have to figure out how to attach a hammock or tree strap to an adjustable loop. Whoopie hooks might solve this issue.

However, my greater concern is that instead of more adjustability, you end up with less. It reminds me of when I decided I should suspend my tarp with whoopies, and that didn't work out at all.
    The situation I found myself in, and frequently, is that the tree where I usually hang rarely allow a perfect distance. So I came up with a solution to my issue on the fly, as it were. Yes I make the little soft biners to attach the slings the the hammock. Make them transferable between different length hammocks that I own. Still a newb, trying out different rigs working out the kinks. No particular benefit other than it solved an issue for me.
    Just thought I would share.

Re: Double whoopie

What is gained here?
    I seemes like the same amount of material... and a little bit longer minimum length due to extra burries, but no increase in max length?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    I made one out of zing-it, just for fun.
    I couldn't find much use for the double adj. except for handcuffs.
    It was fun to make.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The situation I found myself in, and frequently, is that the tree where I usually hang rarely allow a perfect distance. So I came up with a solution to my issue on the fly, as it were. Yes I make the little soft biners to attach the slings the the hammock. Make them transferable between different length hammocks that I own. Still a newb, trying out different rigs working out the kinks. No particular benefit other than it solved an issue for me.
    Just thought I would share.

I don't understand this example either. Are your trees too far apart? I carry continuous loops for this purpose - just larkshead them onto the fixed loop and voila, whoopie is longer. I do the same thing when tree straps are too short; just add a continuous loop to lengthen them.

The whole point of whoopie slings is that they are adjustable for different tree distances. When I first started making whoopies, I thought that if six ft. whoopies were good for most tree distances, then 10 or 12 ft. whoopies would be even better. Right? Makes sense, huh?

However, I quickly found that 8 ft. tree straps and 10 ft. whoopies were ridiculous and excessive. My 11 ft. hammock, plus 18 ft. of suspension at both ends meant I was carrying a suspension that I could comfortably hang across the Grand Canyon. And the further the trees are apart, the higher up the tree you must place the tree straps to maintain the proper 30 degree angle, so you would end up having to climb 12 ft. up the tree.

So in your example, it sounds like your trees were too far apart, so you made a longer whoopie, but you made it with two adjustable loops. I'm not doubting that a longer whoopie solved your problem; I'm just doubting that two adjustable loops solved any problem.

I now carry 4 ft. tree straps and 6 ft. whoopies, with a few adjustable loops for lengthening stuff. If I ever go to California, I might need longer straps, but I doubt I'd need longer whoopies.

Hammock
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10 x 10
    Insulation
    PL UC
    Suspension
    Selfmade woopies

Double whoopie

As I said, just thought I would share my idea. I know why I haven't shared before.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As I said, just thought I would share my idea. I know why I haven't shared before.

Please do share, but expect it be discussed. Newbs come up with ideas that nobody ever thought of because they come with a new perspective.

For example, the soft shackles in your picture: I wonder what advantage they serve over a regular soft shackle. They look a bit easier to make than soft shackles, but that's the only advantage I see. In fact, they look much less secure than a soft shackle with lower breaking strength and the bury isn't long enough to hold.

When you share things, people question them, discuss them and share their experiences. It's a chance for us all to think about what we are doing, and share. That's all good, in my opinion.

Re: Double whoopie

Awww, don't be sad bro!

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies

cool

yet there is no apparent reason to have a "double woopie" I think its cool. just like when I decided to make woopies that got really short, like under 18" at shortest adjustment?? well it didnt benefit me at all, 1 my lapse in how long the rope needed to be. 2 it turns out they only go out to about 25" but I think they are cool. although I wouldnt make and use em my self (or make and us em myself agian, to short of woopies). Its still cool

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast