Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Images

Directions for the easily lost

Good morning!

I had meant to post this earlier but I had completely forgotten until an hour ago.
    For those of you who do not know, I can get lost so easily that it is embarrassing.

For those of you who are like me, I thought that this would help. Pictures included for the later and most confusing stages.

1. Once you arrive at the parking lot, look for the building. The building has restrooms, a big porch area, and a store. Walk towards the building.

2. While standing approximately 10 yards in front of the building, turn so that the building is on your right. Ahead, you should see a paved area located between dumpsters on the left and the building on your right. At the end of paved area is a fence, the path to the site is on the other side of the fence.

3. Once you pass the fence, hike up the dirt road area a short bit and the trail will be on the right. For a long way, the trail is easy to find and not confusing. If I remember correctly, as long as the trail is ascending, you have no real choices. Just follow the trail and climb.

4. When the trail starts to flatten (in comparison), is when the confusion can start. One of the first and, in my opinion, worst of the hidden turns occurs. The tree cover is also not as thick in this area as well. It looks like this

5. At this point you will soon be taking a left. Look for the Cat Gap sign on your left, it is not visible looking straight ahead, only if you are looking to the left. Here is a picture with the sign and the bridge. Note that the cable is your hand rail and you need to go very carefully across this bridge.

6. After you cross the bridge, you will be taking a right. Here is a picture of Lump showing the way. Note the trail blaze that he is pointing towards. Also the end of the cable of the bridge you just crossed.

This is the same picture but without a helpful Lump showing you the blaze. Lump and I thought it would be best to show the area as it would look. The picture still shows the blaze and the cable.

7. At some point, you will pass cross a bridge that is easily traversed. At this point, you are close to the hang site Note: this bridge has a nice log rail. Here is a picture:

8. The path will open eventually open up into an open wooded glade with the trees spaced at almost perfect hanging intervals. The glade is on the right.

The perspective of this picture is off for the approach. I was sitting in camp when I took this picture and I am looking out towards the trail. However, the picture does give a good impression of what the glade looks like.

Those of you that are veterans of this hang, please double check my directions. I do not exaggerate when I say I have directional issues. However, I navigate by sight and landmark so this should be fairly accurate since that is how I explained the steps.

I was not certain of the bridge order, cable bridge or log bridge first, but Lump says that the cable bridge is first.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Sluggie

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Thanks for posting the pix Sluggie.
    I can't make it this year but the pix gave me the warn fuzzy deja vu feeling, Thank you!

The Lump directional indicator is perfect

__bob__

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Well done Sluggie and Lump! I sure could have used this last year (don't ask me how I know).

Might also mention that there are a couple small stream crossings before you make that Left turn and cross the bridge Lump was standing on the other side of. The one in your photo with that catgap sign and the blazes.

Those couple stream crossings are all before the trail "flattens out" a bit and also before you see (or hear) a nice 6' waterfall on your left. Yup they have little bridges too.

When the trail passes by that six foot waterfall ( its 30 yds left of the trail) you are nearing the trail intersection where you make the left turn.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I believe that I will arrive my child/dog posse on Saturday. Getting home from work, driving down, hiking in and setting up are a breeze when I'm alone. With my short and furry entourage, I know it will all be better if it's a brand new day.
    FIMB, Oscar can't wait to try the slackline! Thanks for providing some excellent motivation for my reluctant hiker

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle the Camper View Post
    I believe that I will arrive my child/dog posse on Saturday. Getting home from work, driving down, hiking in and setting up are a breeze when I'm alone. With my short and furry entourage, I know it will all be better if it's a brand new day.
    FIMB, Oscar can't wait to try the slackline! Thanks for providing some excellent motivation for my reluctant hiker
    That Oscar was juggling mighty fine in Linville Gorge a few weeks back. Hope to see him on the slack line
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle the Camper View Post
    Your welcome. I just picked up some more webbing for one of the support braces that goes around the tree.
    See you on Saturday.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I should be heading out my door tomorrow morning by 6 or 7 AM. That means, most likely, that I'll be arriving between 3 and 5 PM, depending on road conditions.

I'll have enough pizza and calzones for up to 17 folks to get a slice or a third of a 'zone. Everyone is welcome to some; I'm sure not going to eat all of it!

Hope to see everyone there!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Marpat w/ quad Knotties
    Tarp
    Etowah
    Insulation
    PLUQ, OT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    That Oscar was juggling mighty fine in Linville Gorge a few weeks back. Hope to see him on the slack line
    He is a great juggler !
    "The essential psychological requirement of a free society is the willingness on the part of the individual to accept responsibility for his life." ~ Edith Packer

Mountain Forge
    Self Defense - Emergency Care - Outdoor Skills
    Empowering You To Explore The Wild, Beautiful World

www.mountainforge.org

CAMP FIRE ! A 3 Day Backcountry Experience Dedicated to Empowerment and Self Reliance. http://www.mountainforge.org/workshops.html

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Oh, and thank you, Sluggie, for the pictoral. It will definitely help!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    We are leaving on Saturday at 7AM should be at the trailhead parking lot by 12PM. Glad Sluggie posted them instructions, that will be a big help along with the posted GPS coordinates. Hope your getting more sunshine then here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast