Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If I'm following right, your main goal is to keep the tree attacment points lower, without sagging to the ground.... My suggestion is 2 carabiners, attached to the long ratchet [slackline] (1.5 or 2 inches would be stouter..), with Marlinspike hitches; you could tie these in at the desired ridgeline length for your ENO, then just clip in, ratchet tight, then hope you don't pull the trees down on you!
    Jimmy

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch0 View Post
    ....where were these 5 years ago....more importantly how did I miss those, I was on the site yesterday lol. Well, that might be the easier ticket. I can just measure and pre-attach a strong ridgeline to my hammock biners and then these strap fill the horrible gaps that the previous slap-straps have. I bought both versions of the original straps looking for a fix to the sagging issue. I'm still going to look into other possible options, but this is a $30 quick fix.
    If you're looking for something in the same range, I'd recommend either Warbonnet's adjustable strap suspension (scroll down to "Adjustable webbing suspension"; you'll need both that and a pair of carabiners--which you probably already have) for $25 to $35 or Arrowhead Equipment's cinch buckle kit (again, you'll need carabiners) for $35. Both will work for your hammock and be both easy to set up and adjust.

As far as running a slackline between trees to support yourself while setting up, you most certainly could do that. If you're really interested in a single-line suspension, here are a couple of links for you:

The one that started it.

and

The basis of the one I've seen in person.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Look on steepandcheap.com and you can usually fing a gibbons SL on sale once a week. I get what you want to do. You want a solid line at about your head level that you can grab on to, to assist you in and out of a hammock and have it be easy to set at a lower height and still get a good hang angle while remaining off the ground. Here is what i suggest: run a continious loop through each end of your hammock, keep them short; Set your slack line up between your trees at a comfortable height; set a pair of tree huggers on each tree right below the slack line; run the continious loop through the fixed eye of a whoopie sling and then put an oval carabiner (BD pear would be best) through the loop and clip into the slack line; run the whoopie to the tree hugger and adjust to fix your sag.

Basically this is working like a pair of prussiks on a fixed ridge line, kind of like a UQ suspension. The whoopies allow you to adjust sag and lay and hold the hammock's horizontal position on the slack line. all the weight is on the carabiners and transfered to the slack line in two positions hopefully close to the trees. a slack line can support your full weight in the middle so you will not be exceeding any force limits. I imagine this will take a few tries and tweaks to get right but i see it working to give you that overhead support that you want.

I hope this helps and is what you want/need

If you are still confused let me know and I'll try to set something like this up in my back yard (no slackline but i can improvise) and take a few pictures.

Hammock
    DIY Symibird
    Tarp
    diy silnylon
    Insulation
    Costco Down Throw
    Suspension
    Amsteel Woopies

Re: Ridgeline = Slackline?

Any reason prussics wouldn't work? I just wonder if you could attach the hammock to the slackline with prussics. Then the profile would remain shallow and you would have some adjustability in the Ridgeline dimension.
    Revelation 14:12 Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

Fireline

Quote Originally Posted by Fireline View Post
    Any reason prussics wouldn't work? I just wonder if you could attach the hammock to the slackline with prussics. Then the profile would remain shallow and you would have some adjustability in the Ridgeline dimension.
    I don't know my knots very well ,but doing a little research that is an option I think I had in mind. This is more what I imagined:

http://www.animatedknots.com/images/bachmann_hitch.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ataris121 View Post
    Look on steepandcheap.com and you can usually fing a gibbons SL on sale once a week. I get what you want to do. You want a solid line at about your head level that you can grab on to, to assist you in and out of a hammock and have it be easy to set at a lower height and still get a good hang angle while remaining off the ground. Here is what i suggest: run a continious loop through each end of your hammock, keep them short; Set your slack line up between your trees at a comfortable height; set a pair of tree huggers on each tree right below the slack line; run the continious loop through the fixed eye of a whoopie sling and then put an oval carabiner (BD pear would be best) through the loop and clip into the slack line; run the whoopie to the tree hugger and adjust to fix your sag.

Basically this is working like a pair of prussiks on a fixed ridge line, kind of like a UQ suspension. The whoopies allow you to adjust sag and lay and hold the hammock's horizontal position on the slack line. all the weight is on the carabiners and transfered to the slack line in two positions hopefully close to the trees. a slack line can support your full weight in the middle so you will not be exceeding any force limits. I imagine this will take a few tries and tweaks to get right but i see it working to give you that overhead support that you want.

If you are still confused let me know and I'll try to set something like this up in my back yard (no slackline but i can improvise) and take a few pictures.
    I think I follow the set up there, will just have to try it I think.

Hammock
    DIY Symibird
    Tarp
    diy silnylon
    Insulation
    Costco Down Throw
    Suspension
    Amsteel Woopies

Re: Ridgeline = Slackline?

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch0 View Post
    I don't know my knots very well ,but doing a little research that is an option I think I had in mind. This is more what I imagined:

http://www.animatedknots.com/images/bachmann_hitch.jpg
    My only concern would be, it doesn't look like it would constrict as well as a prussic. I'm not as familiar as some with a slackline. Isn't it a flat webbing strap? Not that you can't use rope with webbing (the local technical rescue team does it all the time) but I would want it to constrict quite tightly, so I could be confident it wouldn't slip.
    Revelation 14:12 Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

Fireline

Very true, very true

Ridgeline = Slackline?

Quote Originally Posted by ataris121 View Post

That's about what I was thinking except instead of using slackline, use some amsteel winch line - say 1/2 inch or so would be big enough that it wouldn't cut into you hands when pulling yourself up and amsteel has practically zero stretch.

I see you mention the slap strap... the enos ones yeah?

Those are pretty well known to be terrible. I think just getting regular style straps out of the right material may be cheaper and work just as well...

I forget the material but basically there are two popular strap materials, one will stretch one wont.

Go ahead with what your planning if you would like... but also realize its not really a problem with your disability, or standard straps... Its a very common problem with the particular product you were using... Just wanted to point that out since no one else I noticed has, and I have read COUNTLESS complaints about slap straps here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12