Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer
    Tarp
    stock
    Insulation
    SS

International Travel Kit

Hey there hangers
    I have an intriguing question for you all. I do a fair bit of international travel for my job (geologist) which takes me off the beaten track. In many cases "scheduled" travel is more like "ad hoc" travel, if you get what I mean. Delays can run from a few hours to days. I am relatively new to the hammock world and use it for my own camping adventures and thought that a hammock might provide a solution for these situations. I also thought that posting the question in this forum might lead to an interesting discussion.

So, if you were to put together a travel kit, that could be stashed in the bottom of your travel pack, that could get you through these inconvenient times, what would it look like? The key would be: 1) compactness and weight, remember it's in your pack with all your regular stuff; 2) adaptability, you never know if you are sleeping on a floor somewhere, or in the bush; 3) not terribly adverse conditions, ie. if it's the arctic, you will have other faculties to tap into; 4) it doesn't have to be luxury but does have to attend to basic needs.
    So, it's a dreary February day, put your thinking caps on and give it a go!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'd go with a Traveler style hammock; lots of them out there. Lightweight and some have a sleeve for a pad if it gets cool. You'll probably want a bug-net unless you plan on using clothing as your defense; but-nets are better. Maybe a micro sized tarp from OES. It won't do much more than keep the rain off of you, but it will do that. I think that's about as minimalist as I'd care to go.

I usually carry a TrekLight with me anywhere I go. If conditions don't permit (bugs, weather, etc), I don't hang. If I know I'm going someplace with bugs, my Blackbird gets thrown in the bag. I rarely bring a tarp.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts